Best and Worst Draft Moves of the Jerry Jones Era

Lockouts are boring and Top 10 Quarterback lists are as common as weeds. Decided to drum up a " 5 Best and Worst" list of everybody's favorite GM to hate (unless you're a fan of another team; then you're hating your own GM).

I chose draft 'moves' (trades, etc.) instead of actual draft picks so the horror that was the Joey Galloway trade can be thrust into the open light of day.

5 Best Moves

1. The Trade (RB Herschel Walker to the Vikings for 5 players and 6 draft picks)

- The details of this trade could fill a book. Dallas ultimately ended up with four players for Walker (RB Nelson refused to report), only one of which contributed in any major way (Issiac Holt). Dallas made several wheels and deals with the picks, but ultimately netted these keepers: Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, Darren Woodson, and Clayton Holmes. Although there may be some dispute over who actually made the deal, most have noted that Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones were working together like clockwork in the early days.

2. Brady Quinn trade, 2007

- Could have been a blockbuster, if only Browns QB Derek Anderson had decide to stay awful for at least another year. Dallas traded their 22nd pick to Cleveland (Quinn) for a 2nd round pick and a 2008 first rounder. The Cowboys later traded up and got Anthony Spencer, and the 2008 first rounder turned into RB Felix Jones. Cleveland got nothing out of Quinn and GM Phil Savage later lost his job.

3. Drafted Michael Irvin

- Mistake on my part, pointed out by JVcoach.

4. Drafted Larry Allen

- Quite possibly the best NFL lineman of this era or any other. Jerry has a long history of grabbing projects with big upside, and this one pick was his crowning achievement.

5. Drafted DeMarcus Ware

- There are many stories of how JJ and Bill Parcells butted heads in their time at Valley Ranch, but this pick was probably one of the many that was made out of complete conjecture. Jerry Jones overruled Parcells at the 11th pick in the draft to select Ware rather than Marcus Spears (who was available at 20). Many Dallas journalists (Gerry Fraley, Randy Galloway) hailed Ware as a monumental bust. He's been anything but.

5 Worst Moves

1. Traded for Joey Galloway

- Pushed hard by Troy Aikman, JJ traded two first rounders for Seattle wideout Joey Galloway. He tore his ACL in his first game and was only marginally good afterwards. Later resurrected his career with Tampa Bay.

2. Traded for Roy Williams

- Pushed hard by no one in particular, JJ traded a first and a third for Detriot wideout Roy Williams. He started strong before injuring his foot, and has been plagued by drops and bad routes. Has become an expensive run blocker and may lose his starting job.

3. Drafted Shante Carver

- At least Ekuban and Pittman could play the run.

4. Drafted David LeFluer

- Pushed hard by Troy Aikman, JJ drafted a tight end that was constantly hurt and topped his career with 7 TD grabs in 2000.

5. Drafted Quincy Carter

- With most of Dallas' draft picks, as with most NFL teams, the players they chose weren't too far from where it was expected for them to be taken. Not so with Carter, who may have been grabbed a full two rounds early. Carter led a playoff run, but it have had more to do with Zimmer's defense than Carter's passing. Drugs ruined his career just a short offseason later.

How was Irvin a JJ draft guy? Irvin was drafted in 88 and Jerry bought the team in 89.

I would not put Lefluer as a top 5 worst pick, he just was not Jay Novacheck.

1) Worst trade is not tradeing Marceles Bennent for a first rounder a couple of years ago noot only can he not play, but he is an idiot.

Who drafted whitten? That is a pretty clutch pick worthy of top 5 consideration.

You're completely right. I really missed on Irvin; completely forgot he was drafted a year before. JJ and Irvin were so chummy and JJ's worst trades appeared to be chasing for the next Irvin more than anything else, that the two always seemed to go together.

I kind of struggled a bit with LeFleur, because injuries did hurt him. Mainly, it was a bad pick because JJ let Aikman talk him into it, and he was less of a factor than many of our first rounders were.

I can't count not trading MarTellus Bennett because it was a nonfactor. It was speculation more than a concrete offer, and nothing happened. If anything, I would actually re-do my list to include trading away Anthony Fasano.

It would seem to me that Witten was more a Parcells/Ireland choice. With draft choices it's hard to say who is the pet cat of whom once the scouts have fashioned out a draft board. It's the main reason I didn't include Aikman; I know Jimmy Johnson wasn't too high on him, but he was expected to go near the top and it was no great prowess of Jerry's to select him.

I can't count not trading MarTellus Bennett because it was a nonfactor. It was speculation more than a concrete offer, and nothing happened. If anything, I would actually re-do my list to include trading away Anthony Fasano.

Don't MarTellus how good you are but show it Bennett, that is pretty funny right there. Speculation or not a free stay at Motel Six with out free breakfest for Bennent would be a fair trade, and if we do not trade Fasano we would not have MarTellus(?) so it was a lose ,lose and does deserve to be on the list.

I'm more inclined to see Bennett in a better light. According to Football Outsiders and ProFootballFocus, his catch/success rate is good despite few opportunities and he's the 2nd best blocking tight end in the league (behind Witten himself). That strikes me as pretty good for a 2nd rounder.

As for Fasano, I wouldn't say that trading him or not trading him was right or wrong; but looking at how good he's become since the trade and the Cowboys only getting a 4th rounder for him, I would mark that down as a losing scenario for the Boys.

And getting caught up in almost-trades would be difficult. I would be inclined to count Dallas ALMOST trading up for Max Unger a few years ago, but since they got beaten out by Seattle, it doesn't mean much.

1) Worst trade is not tradeing Marceles Bennent for a first rounder a couple of years ago noot only can he not play, but he is an idiot.

I am not sure how Martellus Bennett could be considered a failure. He certainly has proved he can play. He runs well with the ball after catch. He is one of the best blocking Tight Ends also. He also catches the ball very well. His actions away from the game do not make him a bad player.

He is most assuredly a keeper for the Cowboys.

I am not sure how Martellus Bennett could be considered a failure. He certainly has proved he can play. He runs well with the ball after catch. He is one of the best blocking Tight Ends also. He also catches the ball very well. His actions away from the game do not make him a bad player.

He is most assuredly a keeper for the Cowboys.

He would have been our 3rd tightend had the late round pick not gotten hurt (cant remember who he is now)

He only does well if the game is out of hand, and 2cd best blocker? I must have seen some bad plays becuase I do not see that.

What I do see is a Tarzen that plays and acts like Jane

He would have been our 3rd tightend had the late round pick not gotten hurt (cant remember who he is now)

He only does well if the game is out of hand, and 2cd best blocker? I must have seen some bad plays becuase I do not see that.

What I do see is a Tarzen that plays and acts like Jane

More than likely John Phillips would play the F-back spots, and Bennett would remain on the line in the 12 and 22 packages.

What logic or stats are you using to determine he only does well when the game is out of hand?

I would defer to ProFootballFocus on all of his blocking, but I do know that Bennett did not give up a sack, was used massively to bail out Columbo, played the tackle spot on the uneven lines, has a catch rate of 70% (basically has good as Witten), and racked up nearly 50 receptions despite being an afterthought to a pro bowl tight end, a screen-crazy runningback, and three wideouts.

How about the backup drafts of the mid 90s? Sherman Williams, Shante Carver, Kenall Watkins, Shane Hannah

Martellus Bennett was taken a round or two too high. A TE taken that high should be more a playmaker than what Marty B has been. A nice backup but nothing more.

The Roy Williams trade hurt. Waste of picks, talent and money. We could have had one or two fewer holes if JJ didnt make this deal.

3. Drafted Michael Irvin

- A JJ move all the way, and a dicey one for a bad team that didn't need a flashy wide receiver. Instead they got a cornerstone of the franchise and the most prolific receiver in Cowboys history, a career cut short due to injury.

Michael Irvin was drafted by Tom Landry, Tex Schram, and Gil Brandt in the 1988 draft. Jones didn't buy the Cowboys until 1989.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Irvin

More than likely John Phillips would play the F-back spots, and Bennett would remain on the line in the 12 and 22 packages.

What logic or stats are you using to determine he only does well when the game is out of hand?

I would defer to ProFootballFocus on all of his blocking, but I do know that Bennett did not give up a sack, was used massively to bail out Columbo, played the tackle spot on the uneven lines, has a catch rate of 70% (basically has good as Witten), and racked up nearly 50 receptions despite being an afterthought to a pro bowl tight end, a screen-crazy runningback, and three wideouts.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks, I did not have time to look up some of the info you pointed out. Bennett just happens to be on a team that has plenty of offense and only so many #### to go around. If and when his numbers get higher, then we will be hearing more about why some of our other players are not producing. Phillips, Witten and Bennett will all be productive. People need to quit trying to find failure in the players so much and start looking at the good that has happened. There will always be room for improvement!

How about the backup drafts of the mid 90s? Sherman Williams, Shante Carver, Kenall Watkins, Shane Hannah

Martellus Bennett was taken a round or two too high. A TE taken that high should be more a playmaker than what Marty B has been. A nice backup but nothing more.

I didn't include whole drafts, and instead focused on single moves or trades. The worst pick of the 90's to me was Shante Carver. At least the Cowboys traded down for Ekuban. To me, first rounders, commitment-wise, are worse than 2nd rounders or other low picks.

Arguing that Martellus was drafted a round early is fair game. I can still think of too many other moves that were far worse (the backup drafts, has you mentioned).