Who is the best QB in east texas

cujoforlife

Who are the impact QBs returning in 2A for the 2011 season?

Jalen Overstreet from Tatum

Anybody in 9AA-DI bring back their stud players?

Is Arp's QB coming back? What about the rest of East Texas? Help me out here fiddlesticks or Eagleborn.....whats up with the name change by the way? lol

Yes Kyle Copeland from Arp will be back this year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put the QB from Tatum up against any QB from East Texas. At 6 ft 3 in and 220 lbs that can throw and run. If he gains 10 to 15 lbs and can find a couple of receivers. I look for him to throw for 2000 yards and run for over a 1000. Just my 2 cents worth.

We will see...you might be suprised

Traylor for one...but you might just see Gilmer with a running game that will blow you away.

Traylor will be good, however I think Pollard will be the go to guy, but with Gus Johnson graduating, who will be the rb(s) next year? I forgot about Jalen Overstreet. Single handed kept those drives against Gilmer alive last year. Kid will be awesome to watch. Lots of talent in East Texas this fall. Can't wait!

Overstreet was big against Gilmer last year. Had some big time runs and connected with his receivers pretty well when asked to, when BJ wasn't racking up his 289 yards on the ground that is. With BJ gone this year....Gilmer should get a bigger dose of Overstreet. Looking forward to this game already.

Who will be the RBs in Gilmer? Surely Traylor will elect to keep up his pass heavy offense. Luke will be a year older and much more accurate in 2011.....if he can cut down on the INTs...he'll be a terror at QB.

MHO Turner over rated. Will need a lot out front of him. If he can stay in the pocket he might be good but scrambling takes his focus and read.

As I said year before last year if Dylan Brown had Gilmers Oline he would have put up as good numbers as Gilmers QB did. He's was one of the best at being able to read the field and the "see" play unfold. Given a "great" Oline he would have put up BIG numbers. Even last year he was ahead in yards and completed passes than Morgan until he had to lay out 2 and half games due to concussion. Very talented athlete. He actually chose baseball even with some good football offers.

MHO Turner over rated. Will need a lot out front of him. If he can stay in the pocket he might be good but scrambling takes his focus and read.

As I said year before last year if Dylan Brown had Gilmers Oline he would have put up as good numbers as Gilmers QB did. He's was one of the best at being able to read the field and the "see" play unfold. Given a "great" Oline he would have put up BIG numbers. Even last year he was ahead in yards and completed passes than Morgan until he had to lay out 2 and half games due to concussion. Very talented athlete. He actually chose baseball even with some good football offers.

You lost me when you put both Spring Hill football and Gilmer football in the same sentence. I also believe that "overated" qb beat down the Panthers

76-0 last year (63-0 in the 1st half). Dylan Brown was a good qb, but Turner is a great dual threat qb, he isn't gonna stay in the pocket. BTW, who was the last Buckeye QB to "stay in the pocket"? Stump Godfrey(2,496 yds) GJ Kinne(2,727) Manuel Johnson(1,033) Derek McKenzie(1,570) Luke Turner will never STAY in the pocket, it's not what they do. It's their system for QB to run.

You lost me when you put both Spring Hill football and Gilmer football in the same sentence. I also believe that "overated" qb beat down the Panthers

76-0 last year (63-0 in the 1st half). Dylan Brown was a good qb, but Turner is a great dual threat qb, he isn't gonna stay in the pocket. BTW, who was the last Buckeye QB to "stay in the pocket"? Stump Godfrey(2,496 yds) GJ Kinne(2,727) Manuel Johnson(1,033) Derek McKenzie(1,570) Luke Turner will never STAY in the pocket, it's not what they do. It's their system for QB to run.

I knew you were coming with that...LMAO. None of the above mentioned were better...they were just fortunate enough to play with a better team.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now I wait for the next wave. Probably have to wait on it a few days though....out of pocket for a few days but I'll be checking back in. Don't disappoint.

I knew you were coming with that...LMAO. None of the above mentioned were better...they were just fortunate enough to play with a better team.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now I wait for the next wave. Probably have to wait on it a few days though....out of pocket for a few days but I'll be checking back in. Don't disappoint.

I saw Brown last year. He's pretty good....but Turner is better in my opinion. Stump and Kinne we're better as well. But stick to you're story...be proud. But Brown would have never started at Gilmer, he doesn't have that duel threat capability that is needed to run that offense. I'm sure he could start at kicker for the Buckeyes though, everybody needs a good kicker.

surprised about what, I don't follow you. Are you saying he won't run for a 1000 and pass for 2000 yards. I watched him every game last year. You saw him once against Gilmere right?

If Tatum can come up with some receivers he will be magical. Tatum will have a very good O-line and we always come up with a running back or two(we are known for coming up with the RB'S) Will we go very far this year, I don't know, but as long as Andy Evans is running the show Tatum will be a very tuff out.

Dylan Brown is graduating. Ryan Black is graduating. Manley at Pittsburg is graduating, so is Anthony Morgan (thank goodness! :D ) Out of the QBs I saw last year that were not seniors, Luke Turner, Jalen Overstreet, and Del Barnes are the ones that stick out in my mind as the ones to watch. I think all three of these QBs will definitely have better statistics this year than last. The only question is who will replace the holes left by graduation, and how will that affect the teams as a whole. Henderson has a whole bunch coming back from last year's state championship team. Gilmer didn't lose a whole lot. Tatum lost a lot of good players. I can't wait to find out!

Dylan Brown is graduating. Ryan Black is graduating. Manley at Pittsburg is graduating, so is Anthony Morgan (thank goodness! :D ) Out of the QBs I saw last year that were not seniors, Luke Turner, Jalen Overstreet, and Del Barnes are the ones that stick out in my mind as the ones to watch. I think all three of these QBs will definitely have better statistics this year than last. The only question is who will replace the holes left by graduation, and how will that affect the teams as a whole. Henderson has a whole bunch coming back from last year's state championship team. Gilmer didn't lose a whole lot. Tatum lost a lot of good players. I can't wait to find out!

Tatum lost a good bit. All three rotating RBs in Allen, Woodard, and Watkins are graduating. The top 2 receivers in Fite and Bell will be gone. We're losing some talent up front but we will still have some of the buffet busters coming back in Larance Hale, Caleb Mobley, and Darius Whitting. All 4 of our starters in our secondary are gone, the only returning LB is Kiano Lucas, and our leading tackler Laderrion Johnson will be back at DE. Look for Overstreet to rely on the hands of returning targets Nate Pickett(6'3 185) and Daven Reese(6'3 205). Our JV was really good last year so look for some good talent moving up. Speed will once against be plentyful as it always is in Tatum. Due to the fact of Overstreet being Overstreet....even though we lost so much, I dont see this being a rebuilding year. Overstreet will be turned loose this year just like his uncle Stephen Hodge was at Tatum and when you turn a machine like these guys loose, magic happens.

In fact.....here are our returners

#2 Jaylen Overstreet QB, SS Jr. 6-3 207

#3 J.T. Garrett WR, FS Jr. 5-8 160

#8 Vance Clark RB, LB Jr. 6-0 185

#9 Trey Sterns WR, LB Jr. 5-10 170

#10 Nathan Pickett WR, LB Jr. 6-3 185

#12 Samuel Zapata K, P Jr. 5-5 140

#14 Jordan Noel WR, SS Jr. 5-11 185

#16 Christian Chavez K, P Jr. 5-8 175

#18 Daven Reese TE, DE Jr. 6-3 205

#20 Trey Jackson FB, LB Jr. 5-9 180

#27 Laderion Johnson FB, DE Jr. 6-2 215

#32 Daven Hopkins FB, DT Jr. 5-11 200

#34 Kiano Lucas FB, MLB So. 5-11 185

#52 Larance Hale C, DT Jr. 6-3 290

#54 Caleb Mobley OL, DT Jr. 6-2 250

#58 Darius Whitting OL, DT So. 6-0 255

#65 Josh Ward C, DE Jr. 6-1 205

#75 Billy Norton OL, DE Jr. 6-0 220

#77 Justin Farrell OL, DT Jr. 6-5 320 <---- Not sure if he'll suit up or not

#82 Patrick Session WR, CB Jr. 5-11 170

I would put the QB from Tatum up against any QB from East Texas. At 6 ft 3 in and 220 lbs that can throw and run. If he gains 10 to 15 lbs and can find a couple of receivers. I look for him to throw for 2000 yards and run for over a 1000. Just my 2 cents worth.

he belongs in the top 20 but not top

I saw Brown last year. He's pretty good....but Turner is better in my opinion. Stump and Kinne we're better as well. But stick to you're story...be proud. But Brown would have never started at Gilmer, he doesn't have that duel threat capability that is needed to run that offense. I'm sure he could start at kicker for the Buckeyes though, everybody needs a good kicker.

Darn Eagle8...now I gotta take you and Frisco Fan?lol He has more athleticism than Turner and Stump. Kinne I have not seen on the high school so Ipass on that one.

Put on the same team they had...... his numbers would have been better IMHO. Sticking to it. You can think different.

he belongs in the top 20 but not top

First off.....I love the avatar. Secondly, Overstreet is most definitely among the top QBs in East Texas. Arm strength, good accuracy, size, speed, running power, elusiveness, field vision....hes as good as anybody out there in East Texas, hes actually one of the few East Texans that actually has the size and the chance to play QB at the next level, whether he does or not will be up to him.

According to scout.com he threw just 4 INTs compared to his 28 TDs. Pretty efficient for a junior.

My picks for QB's that I have seen

Best overall QB: Barnes from Henderson. He's extremely smart and competitive and cool under pressure. He has a good arm and good athletic ability, and he's very accurate. He might be the best passer as well, but in my opinion, he's the best leader for certain.

Best passer: QB from Whitehouse. He's accurate and makes good decisions. He is well coached and makes plays. Does great in the quick passing game. I put best passer, but that doesn't mean he cannot make plays with his feet.

Best athletic QB: Overstreet from Tatum. He's got a strong arm and he has the by far the best athleticism of any of these. My knock on him is his accuracy and his decision making. The question is whether his athleticism can outweigh the rest. The coaches at Tatum are great at getting the most out of their players.

Sleeper QB for next year: Black from Jacksonville. The younger brother of the graduating QB is more athletic than his older brother. I don't know the plans for him this upcoming year, but I'm guessing he could fill the role on varsity now if need be.

I'm sure I've left many good QB's off the list. I haven't seen many of them, and some I haven't seen enough to tell.

The Overstreet kid from Tatum and the Copeland kid from Arp are probably the two best QBs in 2A in East Texas. I may be overlooking a couple, but those two really stand out.

All of y'all will be surprised at White Oak's quarterback next year. I think he should be the biggest sleeper of East Texas, with the new coach bringing in the pure spread be ready to see some numbers! IMO