Texas senators have voted to allow private schools to play in the UIL

Eagleborn

I think it is funny that anyone would be attending junior high events and recruiting someone. I guess elementary recess is next. Alot of recognized talent there as well.

They go after the young talent, before they get in to a High School- They know pretty much that kids won't leave a H.S. to go to a private school.

When they are young and Talking to them and their parents about scholarships...... Money talks!!!!!!!!!! They are wasting their time talking to a Soph, or jr, sr. to leave their school to go to a private.

So think it is funny all you want- it is a fact and it does happen!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They go after the young talent, before they get in to a High School- They know pretty much that kids won't leave a H.S. to go to a private school.

When they are young and Talking to them and their parents about scholarships...... Money talks!!!!!!!!!! They are wasting their time talking to a Soph, or jr, sr. to leave their school to go to a private.

So think it is funny all you want- it is a fact and it does happen!!

You mean that a parent has a choice to give their kids a much better and safer education plus they get to play the sport of their choice if they go to East Texas Private School rather than East Texas Public High School? What are these parents thinking?

You mean that a parent has a choice to give their kids a much better and safer education plus they get to play the sport of their choice if they go to East Texas Private School rather than East Texas Public High School? What are these parents thinking?

I have no problem with kids going to private school to get all that, heck even thinking about that for my own kids when they they get older with all the mess going on in Public schools.

If you read the post, we were talking about how private schools recruit at schools and their events to get them while they are young. That is plain wrong.

So where ever you got that, must have confused you about what I was talking about.

I have no problem with kids going to private school to get all that, heck even thinking about that for my own kids when they they get older with all the mess going on in Public schools.

If you read the post, we were talking about how private schools recruit at schools and their events to get them while they are young. That is plain wrong.

So where ever you got that, must have confused you about what I was talking about.

sorry about that, i read the conversations but I dont always look at who were the main 2 talking. My bad. I love the idea of private schools (obviously), but there are some schools that abuse the recruiting system. I honestly have no problems with a kid getting a huge discount or a scholarship to go to school at a private school, if the kid has the tools and the intellectual ability to uphold the credibility of the school recruiting him/her. I just see too many stories of X school winning national championships etc after the school has shut down for financial reasons. Why does this school have financial problems? They did not have alumni that made enough money to give back to the school. Why? Most likely, they did not leave the school with the tools to suceed. That is the ultimate measurement of a private school IMHO. How long can you survive with no grants or tax money to help you operate?

And I blame these same parents for allowing public schools to become unsafe. Instead of banging on the school board doors and all the way to the governors office to fix things, the solution has been to "move" to the suburbs and move to private schools instead of fighting liberal policies. That is why I dont think these folks need any favors-- it is their choice. You cant have it both ways. Woodrow Wilson in DISD held out for the longest---White Rock Lake neighborhood-- and am hearing good folks are going back and improving the school. It can be done--with effort.

And I blame these same parents for allowing public schools to become unsafe. Instead of banging on the school board doors and all the way to the governors office to fix things, the solution has been to "move" to the suburbs and move to private schools instead of fighting liberal policies. That is why I dont think these folks need any favors-- it is their choice. You cant have it both ways. Woodrow Wilson in DISD held out for the longest---White Rock Lake neighborhood-- and am hearing good folks are going back and improving the school. It can be done--with effort.

It can be done with the right funding. But the school administrators also need to hire disciplinarians and teachers that challenge kids. We are too scared to fail a kid if they are not up to current education standards. Did you know that we have policies in some schools that if a kid makes a 20% on a test, the lowest score a teacher can give them is a 50%? Rewarding failure... thats always a good lesson to teach.

My son has a friend and his dad told me he did not want his son to go to a public school because of all the heathens there. He wanted his kid in a christian school. Although I respect his decision I would rather teach my son to think for himself and to be a leader. He is attending public school and has brought several of his friends to church with him that would not have ever gone otherwise. The public school reflects the real world. How can Christians spread the gospel if they are segregating themselves? We need Christian leaders in the public schools. <><

As most of you pointed out, this all comes down to fair play.

I would guess that most private institutes mirror UIL and have enough pride to maintain passing standards and other things we all value. I don't think we are here to attack any specific private schools, or the existence of private schools as a whole.

The fact is this: There are schools in other states that have been extremely successful in football because of recruiting. Evangel is the best example because we all know of it.

How do you prevent recruiting?

How do you prevent athletic scholarships?

How do you ensure level passing standards without the same standardized test?

Many people argued whether it makes sense to recruit 7th or 8th graders. It does. Though you cannot tell for sure how someone will develop, there are many players that you know will have a certain level of talent.

When I saw a Gilmer 8th grader run a 23.1 in the 200 at the district meet, I knew he would be good in high school track if he continues to run.

When I saw a Tatum 8th grader dunk with ease after draining a few 3's, I knew he would be good in high school basketball.

When I saw a Kilgore 8th grade defensive end run a 53 in the 400, I knew he would be a good football player

When I saw a Pittsburg 7th grade defensive end run a 11.9 in the 100, I knew he would be a good football player

When I saw Henderson's 6'4" quarterback throwing and running like crazy, I knew he would be good.

I can't promise all of these players will be D-1, but I promise you if you can recruit a team full of these type of kids from around East Texas, with a promise of scholarships and exposure, you will have a team that can compete with anyone.

You may not win state every year, because Texas is so competitive, but you still gain a hugh advantage.

I don't know if this would actually happen, but you can be certain that there are people who will try and create that type of setting.

Of course most private schools would not do that, but some probably would.

Could you prevent it? I personally don't see how.

Years ago, the AD/Head Baseball coach at Brookhill, Collins, was released because of recruiting baseball players. They played in our tournament one year, and that summer my top 3 players recieved multiple mailings with personal letters stating they would not have to pay the tuition if they transferred to Brookhill. I had no problems with the guy until the kids brought me the letters. I also appreciate Brookhill for doing the right thing and correcting the situation. This was back in 2006-07. I don't know of any problems since.

That same year we lost both our pitchers to Brookhill - Went from being a powerhouse to cellar overnight.

And I blame these same parents for allowing public schools to become unsafe. Instead of banging on the school board doors and all the way to the governors office to fix things, the solution has been to "move" to the suburbs and move to private schools instead of fighting liberal policies.

While I agree with you to an extent. These parents have little to do with the decline of public schools. It has been a gradual slide for generations. You cannot blame parents for wanting the best for their kids. When I lived in the metroplex, I moved to the burbs for that exact reason. The urban schools had already declined. I make no apologies for doing what was best for my kids.

Moving to East Texas, I sent my kids to a private elementary school for one reason - I felt it was the best education available for my kids. In high school, my kids went to the "urban" school in Texarkana. I felt that school had the best upper level coarses.

I agree with you on liberal policies, but I am not going to sacrafice my kids to make a point. Many of the issues are not legislative, but judicial - such as corporal punishment.

My son has a friend and his dad told me he did not want his son to go to a public school because of all the heathens there. He wanted his kid in a christian school. Although I respect his decision I would rather teach my son to think for himself and to be a leader. He is attending public school and has brought several of his friends to church with him that would not have ever gone otherwise. The public school reflects the real world. How can Christians spread the gospel if they are segregating themselves? We need Christian leaders in the public schools. <><

I think that this is a misconception of "Christian Schools." These schools are not formed to segregate christians from non-believers. They are formed so that children can have a faith-based education without the fear of anyone ridiculing them. Public schools, kids are bullied constantly for faith, weight, embarrassing moments, etc etc. What is their punishment? Usually, a trip to the principal and back in the classroom in 30 mins to finish what they started. Private schools can expel a kid for this without any backlash from the administration. They can pray at their football games. A verse from the Bible is not just a quote from a historical figure, its guidance and direction in their beliefs.

I will tell you a little story about myself. I graduated from Marshall High School in 1999. I hated it, I had a terrible experience. There was bullying, gangs, fighting, drug deals, and tons of underage drinking and nothing being done about it. My high school education was sub-par to say the least. I spent my first semester of college learning how to study. So when I narrowed down my list of colleges, I could go to little old hometown ETBU, the local and growing UT Tyler, or the massive LSU. I chose ETBU. It had a small community, the same field of study that I wanted to major in as the other 2 schools, and a very restrictive and Christian philosophy that students were expected to follow.

There are ways to expose your children to the outside enviroment while still providing what you feel is the best education available for them. If an Athiest Private school formed and my kid was strong enough to know his beliefs, and it provided the best education available, you bet your ____ that he would go there.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but the text of the bill can be found here.

Requiring private schools to play up apparently would not be allowed, if I'm reading this correctly.

<<

(e) The league shall determine the appropriate league

district in which an eligible private or parochial school will

participate using the same standard the league applies to public

schools, provided that the private or parochial school may not be

placed in a league district lower than the 1A level.

>>

Evangel and John Curtis are both 2A in Louisiana and would be 2A's here too. Curtis just a few years ago was able to hang with Euless Trinity (26-12 loss ; 7-6 at the half) and take Longview down to the wire (24-20 loss). Wonder how many Texas public school 2A's would be able to do the same? Obviously everyone is aware of Evangel's past successes.

Does anyone know if open recruiting is allowed in Louisiana?

Exactly... they want to play their individualized sports where they specialize, but they don't want to butt heads in football or get dunked on in basketball. LOL! And I don't mind bringing up the fact that football and basketball are the two sports that usually have the most African-Americans; a culture not predominate in the private schools. If private schools want to play with the big boys, they need to go all in.

Can't say I've been keeping with the demographics of all the states championship teams, but just off the top of my head I remember Crawford winning a state title in football a few years back, and Canadian won (edit) two in a row and followed that up with two straight runners-up trophies. Those places couldn't get any whiter with a fresh coat of paint and three feet of snow. In basketball Ponder has been the class of 2A for this last decade, I seem to recall a pretty homogenous look to their teams and fans. (Edit: Oh, and of course Highland Park!)

It's just not that big a deal. The thing about basketball and football was put in the bill just to make it more palatable. What they are willing to forego now they will surely demand as a right later.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but the text of the bill can be found here.

Requiring private schools to play up apparently would not be allowed, if I'm reading this correctly.

<<

(e) The league shall determine the appropriate league

district in which an eligible private or parochial school will

participate using the same standard the league applies to public

schools, provided that the private or parochial school may not be

placed in a league district lower than the 1A level.

>>

Evangel and John Curtis are both 2A in Louisiana and would be 2A's here too. Curtis just a few years ago was able to hang with Euless Trinity (26-12 loss ; 7-6 at the half) and take Longview down to the wire (24-20 loss). Wonder how many Texas public school 2A's would be able to do the same? Obviously everyone is aware of Evangel's past successes.

Does anyone know if open recruiting is allowed in Louisiana?

Not sure if open recruiting is "allowed", but I can give you an example of how things work. In 1995, Evangel had moved up from ClassA to 3A after dominating 1A for several years. That year, I followed Logansport on their road to a 15-0 record and a state title. They had two juniors who were obviously D I talent. One was named 1A Offensive MVP, the other was MVP of the state championship game. They ended up at Evangel for their senior year. One of them was ruled inelgible (not sure why) and was still good enough to get a full ride to LSU despite never playing a down his senior year. The other kid also went to LSU on a football scholarship. I don't know if they were recruited or not, but it certainly looked suspicious. I seriously doubt they would have gone to Evangel for the BAND program.

Judging from the majority of posts, you would think the legislature had proposed a full scale alien invasion of the public school system in the state of Texas. Calm down, folks! The world is not coming to an end!

Texas is one of a handful of states in the country where public schools don't play right along side private schools. If you did a thorough evaluation of all programs throughout the country, I don't think you could find conclusive evidence that a tremendous advantage resides with one over the other. There is anecdotal evidence that supports both sides.

Most of the arguments I have read in this forum are based on fear (If we let 'em in, they'll take over), hypothesis (private schools have to recruit to survive plus they're full of rich folks who'll buy their way to all the state championships) and downright silliness (this is welfare for the privates).

Private schools recruit. They must do so to survive. They are funded on tuition revenue. They recruit academicians. They recruit musicians. They recruit kids who fit their mission. They recruit student-athletes. Do they recruit solely for the purpose of athletics? I'm sure they have (Brookhill is a good recent example) but they face severe repercussions if they do so. That would be the case under the UIL if they were allowed to participate.

Do public schools recruit. Yes. Do public schools recruit athletes from private schools? You bet your sweet smile they do. If you think they don't, you're living in fantasy land!

In order to build a strong athletic program you need resources. You need money, coaches, facilities, etc. Who has the advantage in this arena? Rich sugar daddies (Jerry Jones) or taxpayer funded school districts? Take a swing by Southlake Carroll, Highland Park, Converse Judson, Houston Memorial, San Antonio Alamo Heights and tell me they are at a disadvantage to private schools in the area. Believe it or not, most private schools have to scrimp, save, beg, borrow and steal to fund their programs.

Take a look at Bob Hurley's Saint Anthony's basketball program in New Jersey. They have to raise $2 million every year just to keep the doors open. He has won countless state and national championships. He sent hundreds of kids to major college basketball programs and even the NBA. Who are the beneficiaries? The kids!

And has there been irrepairable harm done to the New Jersey public school system as a result? I sure don't see it.

That's what this discussion should be about. The kids. Why shouldn't they have options available to them? What is the harm?

Judging from the majority of posts, you would think the legislature had proposed a full scale alien invasion of the public school system in the state of Texas. Calm down, folks! The world is not coming to an end!

Texas is one of a handful of states in the country where public schools don't play right along side private schools. If you did a thorough evaluation of all programs throughout the country, I don't think you could find conclusive evidence that a tremendous advantage resides with one over the other. There is anecdotal evidence that supports both sides.

Most of the arguments I have read in this forum are based on fear (If we let 'em in, they'll take over), hypothesis (private schools have to recruit to survive plus they're full of rich folks who'll buy their way to all the state championships) and downright silliness (this is welfare for the privates).

Private schools recruit. They must do so to survive. They are funded on tuition revenue. They recruit academicians. They recruit musicians. They recruit kids who fit their mission. They recruit student-athletes. Do they recruit solely for the purpose of athletics? I'm sure they have (Brookhill is a good recent example) but they face severe repercussions if they do so. That would be the case under the UIL if they were allowed to participate.

Do public schools recruit. Yes. Do public schools recruit athletes from private schools? You bet your sweet smile they do. If you think they don't, you're living in fantasy land!

In order to build a strong athletic program you need resources. You need money, coaches, facilities, etc. Who has the advantage in this arena? Rich sugar daddies (Jerry Jones) or taxpayer funded school districts? Take a swing by Southlake Carroll, Highland Park, Converse Judson, Houston Memorial, San Antonio Alamo Heights and tell me they are at a disadvantage to private schools in the area. Believe it or not, most private schools have to scrimp, save, beg, borrow and steal to fund their programs.

Take a look at Bob Hurley's Saint Anthony's basketball program in New Jersey. They have to raise $2 million every year just to keep the doors open. He has won countless state and national championships. He sent hundreds of kids to major college basketball programs and even the NBA. Who are the beneficiaries? The kids!

And has there been irrepairable harm done to the New Jersey public school system as a result? I sure don't see it.

That's what this discussion should be about. The kids. Why shouldn't they have options available to them? What is the harm?

I am just going to respond with your own statement: "Take a look at Bob Hurley's Saint Anthony's basketball program in New Jersey. They have to raise $2 million every year just to keep the doors open. He has won countless State and national championships. He sent hundreds of kids to major college basketball programs and even the NBA". This is exactly what we are talking about he has won all these championships not because he had academic students who he taught how to play basketball, what he had was the ability to recruit students who he knew were the best basketball players in New Jersey and possibly some from other parts of the country. "Who are the beneficiaries"? Well I would say the Coach and the School who both get name recognition. The loser's are those kids in public schools whose basketball programs may have some good basketball players every year or every three years, but they want have the best players every year like Saint Anthony's and thus their chance of ever experiencing a State Championship is a whole lot less. Yes this discussion should be about kids, but remember it is not about a select few of kids, and the kids do have an option. They can play for a private school in a private league with their own playoff system and championships. From what I can tell that has worked great. They can also choose to attend a public school within the district they live in. If the kid and parents are really just about academics that the private schools in their opinion offer a better quality then yes by all means go that route, and their should be no reason for them to be wanting to participate as competitors in UIL events especially Football, basketball, baseball, and track.

I am just going to respond with your own statement: "Take a look at Bob Hurley's Saint Anthony's basketball program in New Jersey. They have to raise $2 million every year just to keep the doors open. He has won countless State and national championships. He sent hundreds of kids to major college basketball programs and even the NBA". This is exactly what we are talking about he has won all these championships not because he had academic students who he taught how to play basketball, what he had was the ability to recruit students who he knew were the best basketball players in New Jersey and possibly some from other parts of the country. "Who are the beneficiaries"? Well I would say the Coach and the School who both get name recognition. The loser's are those kids in public schools whose basketball programs may have some good basketball players every year or every three years, but they want have the best players every year like Saint Anthony's and thus their chance of ever experiencing a State Championship is a whole lot less. Yes this discussion should be about kids, but remember it is not about a select few of kids, and the kids do have an option. They can play for a private school in a private league with their own playoff system and championships. From what I can tell that has worked great. They can also choose to attend a public school within the district they live in. If the kid and parents are really just about academics that the private schools in their opinion offer a better quality then yes by all means go that route, and their should be no reason for them to be wanting to participate as competitors in UIL events especially Football, basketball, baseball, and track.

FYI - Coach Hurley is a full time probation officer and a volunteer basketball coach with a small stipend - maybe $8000 per year. St. Anthony's is in a blighted part of Jersey city surrounded by barbed wire. When I say they have to raise $2 million every year to keep the doors open, I'm being literal. Catholic nuns go out into the NYC business community and raise $2 million....every year...or the school ceases to exist. They have to rent a gym because they don't have one of their own. His kids are required to be outstanding students and even better young men or they do not play for him or St. Anthony's. He makes it very clear they are there as students first. All of his kids go on to college. Some play basketball. Many do not. He does not go out and recruit players. They come to him. He has built that kind of program. HE built it! It wasn't, as you suggest, some inherent private school advantage. He has had numerous opportunities to leave St. Anthony's and coach at the D1 level and even the NBA so if name recognition was his goal, he certainly has the option to pursue it. He chooses to stay at St. Anthony's because of the impact he is able to make in the lives of kids. Kids who, in most cases, would never get the kind of opportunity afforded them by playing for Bob Hurley.

He has been featured on 60 Minutes and has been the subject of a PBS documentary. If you were interested in learning some facts, I would recommend you watch these programs but something tells me your not real interested in facts.

Your line of reasoning suggests that the loser is the New Jersey public school system and the kids who are deprived of playing for a state championship because Bob Hurley has built such a phenomenal basketball program. I'm sorry, but that's an asinine argument. Why don't you just say what you mean - "You stay on your side of the fence and we'll stay on ours."

And where do you get this info.......? Telling a kid you should come to this school is TOTALLY different than what private schools do! Coaches in public schools know that is even against the rules and the punishment is to harsh to handle for most coaches to even say that. Does it happen- probally- but dont put it the same as public schools recruiting like private schools, they are not anywhere the same!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen private schools dressed in their school colors talking to kids all the way to there cars and most likely go to their homes to sweet talk the parents.

And telling a kid that public school is ok to go to just like a private school is recruiting????? Maybe he is just telling him or her that they live in the district and are welcome to the public school.

So saying public schools cross the line is more in line than to say that public schools recruit as if private schools do.

And where do you get this info.......? Telling a kid you should come to this school is TOTALLY different than what private schools do! Coaches in public schools know that is even against the rules and the punishment is to harsh to handle for most coaches to even say that. Does it happen- probally- but dont put it the same as public schools recruiting like private schools, they are not anywhere the same!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen private schools dressed in their school colors talking to kids all the way to there cars and most likely go to their homes to sweet talk the parents.

And telling a kid that public school is ok to go to just like a private school is recruiting????? Maybe he is just telling him or her that they live in the district and are welcome to the public school.

So saying public schools cross the line is more in line than to say that public schools recruit as if private schools do.

You couldn't be MORE wrong! I had a school board member come to my office looking for housing for a kid and his mom that they were trying to entice to move to their district. 4 very prominent schools made offers to this kid and his mom. These teams were already very very good. This goes on every year by coaches you love and respect just in order to make their team better.

If this goes through we will see the fall of the small town sports programs. All good athletes will move to larger schools or private schools. All of your good coaches will go to private schools as well. Kids who arent good enough to get the free ride to private school will be stuck behind. I love how people say there is no advantage. Look at the states that have done this, almost all state champions are private schools! I like the fact that we still go out and play with the kids that have grown up in our towns. Some years we are good others we arent, but the kids on the field are kids that grew up here, and grew up wearing their schools colors in elementary and playing little league together. Besides what are we teaching kids, if your situation isnt good enough just leave it and go somewhere that is better and easier.

You couldn't be MORE wrong! I had a school board member come to my office looking for housing for a kid and his mom that they were trying to entice to move to their district. 4 very prominent schools made offers to this kid and his mom. These teams were already very very good. This goes on every year by coaches you love and respect just in order to make their team better.

Just because that happened in your public school- don't be telling me I am MORE wrong!!! Maybe you should look to move if that is happening at your school. If this passes though it will happen around the whole state in public schools!!!!!!!!!

FYI - Coach Hurley is a full time probation officer and a volunteer basketball coach with a small stipend - maybe $8000 per year. St. Anthony's is in a blighted part of Jersey city surrounded by barbed wire. When I say they have to raise $2 million every year to keep the doors open, I'm being literal. Catholic nuns go out into the NYC business community and raise $2 million....every year...or the school ceases to exist. They have to rent a gym because they don't have one of their own. His kids are required to be outstanding students and even better young men or they do not play for him or St. Anthony's. He makes it very clear they are there as students first. All of his kids go on to college. Some play basketball. Many do not. He does not go out and recruit players. They come to him. He has built that kind of program. HE built it! It wasn't, as you suggest, some inherent private school advantage. He has had numerous opportunities to leave St. Anthony's and coach at the D1 level and even the NBA so if name recognition was his goal, he certainly has the option to pursue it. He chooses to stay at St. Anthony's because of the impact he is able to make in the lives of kids. Kids who, in most cases, would never get the kind of opportunity afforded them by playing for Bob Hurley.

He has been featured on 60 Minutes and has been the subject of a PBS documentary. If you were interested in learning some facts, I would recommend you watch these programs but something tells me your not real interested in facts.

Your line of reasoning suggests that the loser is the New Jersey public school system and the kids who are deprived of playing for a state championship because Bob Hurley has built such a phenomenal basketball program. I'm sorry, but that's an asinine argument. Why don't you just say what you mean - "You stay on your side of the fence and we'll stay on ours."

Well, lets first start with your last statement where you state " Why don't you just say what you mean- You stay on your side of the fence and we'll stay on ours." I am not sure if your trying to imply some form of racism with that remark or not, but if you would re-read any of my post I don't think you will ever find any remark that idicates, implies, or promotes racism. I will agree that in regards to Private schools being allowed to compete in all UIL sancitoned events, I do have concerns for them taking down the fence that has kept Private and Public seperate in regards to UIL participation. Now, onto the next item, I have no problems with any of the great works that Bob Hurley Sr. has done. That is fine, and it is not the issue we are talking about. The issue is will Private schools have an unfair advantage over Public shcools as they have the ability to pick and choose the student/athlete they want to admit, and the public schools do not. You talk about how St. Anthony struggles each year in regards to finances. They only admit 240 students and most of these are from families living below the poverty line. These families receive assistance for the $5000 tuition from private donors and scholarship programs according to Sister Felicia who runs St. Anthony's, per CBS report. She is also quoted "Every school has their own particular talentand ours is basketball." "St. Anthony is the Juilliard of high school basketball, place where the gifted, and the promising enroll to learn the finer points of positioning, technique, ball movement, and endurance." explained Sister Felicia. She goes on to state that Coach Hurley and his staff operate several summer youth basketball camps at no cost to the families of these youths. They talk with the parents of those individual kids identified as gifted in their basketball skills and abilities and the opportunity that St. Anthony can provide. Bob Hurley Sr. states that he no longer recruits, but it was required when the program was in its early years, and he knew building the best basketball team then was a key componant for St. Anthony to survive, this according to the New York Times. They go on to state that now St. Anthony is considered an Elite basketball program and recruiting is no longer necessary as they get over 400 application some with video from family and players from all parts of the country and including Canada. College coaches and recruiters swarm to St. Anthony, because their basketball program has the best of the best when it comes to players and their skills, and 100% of St. Anthony's basketball players go on to play college basketball per the New York Times. Bob Hurley is a great coach, but he does not turn Tin into Gold, instead he has the opportunity search all areas for gold then take the best quality of gold for refinement. This is the fear many have regarding Private Schools. Not all Private schools will try to be Athletic powerhouses, it just takes a few.

Texas senators need to just leave things alone. The system seems to be working fine. If Privates Schools want to play Publics schools then they schedule them in pre season game. It is a no win situation for both sides. "if it aint broke dont fix it"

This proposal will not pass the overall legislature and in the end will have no effect in any event. No TAPPS school is going to try to figure out the nightmare of scheduling football and basketball with TAPPS schools and then other sports with UIL schools. Wont work for any school involved.

Currently things work great and we have the opportunity to play UIL schools in pre-district games which is great and we appreciate that fact. Appreciate the opportunites and we get to work with many fine schools.

There are no private schools in east Texas who have the mission, funding, backing, financial support that most of these posts contemplate. There will not be very many students moving to Tyler, Texas to play sports at our local private schools no matter how good the schools are. Typically, a student will get the exposure at John Tyler or Lee they need to get to the next level. Privates do have kids go to the next level in sports but we don't have coaches from colleges knocking down the door or showing up. If college coaches come to Tyler, they are going to Lee, John Tyler, Whitehouse, etc.. if they happen to have a minute and someone has begged them, they might find a way to a private school, not likely though.

On the other hand, we do have 100% college acceptance. We do win millions of dollars a year in scholarships, these students, as they say, are going pro in something other than athletics. There are many benefits to great private schools and a good athletic program is one of them, however, it is not the focus. Althetic programs enhance the overall school community and strenghthen students physically and mentally with lessons learned from sports which I think are invaluable.

Time to move on from this topic into the upcoming football season. By the way, Grace's spring game is set for Thursday. We lost a lot of very good seniors, all of them from our school since kindergarten, (meaning no recruits) many would have played at every fine public school in the area. We do have a good group of sophomores coming up and a smaller class of seniors. Looking forward to playing UIL schools as we do every year. And thank you UIL coaches for scheduling us.

Texas senators need to just leave things alone. The system seems to be working fine. If Privates Schools want to play Publics schools then they schedule them in pre season game. It is a no win situation for both sides. "if it aint broke dont fix it"

LOL.......... Do you not read the stuff at realignment (which this will make even worse) and playoff scenarios? It works, but its far from being in a uniform working condition.

*EDIT* added "you" in the do you not read...