***BREAKING NEWS*** Tyler Lee's Mike Owens resigns

Smoaky

Smoaky.com has confirmed Tyler Lee head football coach Mike Owens turned in his resignation on Wednesday, but is interested in a retire/rehire to remain at the school.

Owens told David Smoak on Thursday, "I have resigned with the intention of reapplying for the job as head coach at Tyler Lee."

Owens has been the head coach at Tyler Lee since 1996 and compiled an overall record of 109-62, including the Class 5-A, Division I State Championship in 2004. Owens also coached fourteen years at Port Arthur Jefferson with an overall record of 80-64-2. His career record is 191-133-2.

Owens had told David Smoak on more than one occasion he was within a "year or two of retiring from coaching."

David Smoak

On a couple notes. When Owens turned in his resignation to Principal Roger McAdoo, McAdoo responded, "Are you sure you want to do this Mike?" Owens has always spoken his mind, and in some cases that's ruffled a few feathers along the way. Also, has Owens been named the athletic director, he would have recommended defensive coordinator Randy Huffstickler as his replacement. With a new athletic director, I'm not sure what will happen, but Huffstickler has been more than patient in waiting for his time. He's more than qualified if Owens isn't rehired.

If he's wishing to retire/rehire, he must need his retirement money for something.

A lot of teachers do the retire/rehire thing. I don't understand it myself. Any coaches/teachers here want to explain the benefits/purpose of doing it?

He can collect on his annuity as well as getting paid. Double dipping....and a good gig if you can pull it off. Happens all the time.

A lot of schools are trying to save money by not rehiring some of these teachers. Risky move right now...

Oh I get the feeling he is mad at not getting the AD job so he will publicly scapegoat the board and AD into being the ones that don't re-hire the most sucessful coach in Lee history. Not saying a yes or no on it but that is just my feeling. He knows he can work lots of places or just really retire. In other words, I don't think risk enters into the equation here.

Mike is doing the retire / rehire to do what he feels is best for him and his family according to his current situation. TISD has held all of the cards to this point, and now he is playing his. Mike knows what he is doing here, and Im sure he has sought legal advise on doing so. ( I know I would) after what all has gone on in the past few months.

Lets not forget this man is entitled to take the coarse of action that he is entitled legally.

Mike has been the one who has paid his dues at TISD, and is owed the respect from TISD to handle his situation.

I hope all works out for him. He has given alot at Tyler Lee.

I certainly have not forgot where this program was when he arrived here 15 years ago. Its a shame it has all come to this. But this is corporate America and the teaching profession at its finest right now.

Alot of teachers are going to be effected in a very similar way in the next 12 months. This will not be the first time you hear the word retire/ rehire.

The laws are set up for teachers to take this option when you have certain circumstances. Its up to the Board to see if he meets those legal obligations.

I was not thinking of what could be the worst for Coach Owens. He is in a no lose situation. It is Lee that this could be a disaster for. As a Lee fan and alumnus, I want the best for the program and think that the next hire is a critical point for them. I would feel the same way should the JT coach leave. He is obviously a quality coach and I am just as proud of the Lions success under him. If you hire for budget or political reasons, you usually don't make the best choices. Both Lee and JT have experience with the wrong situation.

Think about it.....what would attract a coach to a city where you do not control Jr. High feeders in regards to both athletes and staff as well as a town that up until recently was in the lower end of the pay scale for similar size programs, as well as a brand new AD in budget tightening times. Other than being a nice city to live in, that doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

I was not thinking of what could be the worst for Coach Owens. He is in a no lose situation. It is Lee that this could be a disaster for. As a Lee fan and alumnus, I want the best for the program and think that the next hire is a critical point for them. I would feel the same way should the JT coach leave. He is obviously a quality coach and I am just as proud of the Lions success under him. If you hire for budget or political reasons, you usually don't make the best choices. Both Lee and JT have experience with the wrong situation.

Think about it.....what would attract a coach to a city where you do not control Jr. High feeders in regards to both athletes and staff as well as a town that up until recently was in the lower end of the pay scale for similar size programs, as well as a brand new AD in budget tightening times. Other than being a nice city to live in, that doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

Attract a coach... are you kidding me. $$$$ is not in the future here, much less loyalty or respect. Much less play the meat grinder schedule Lee has played in the past years.

As I posted a couple of weeks ago... this salary will be re-evaluated as well, because they have the opportunity to do so. Its all about the money now.

Now what happens to TyLee's football program? Coaching changes can be rough on the players. A good move would be to promote Huffstickler and hope it gives a sense of ease to the kids that have come through the program under Owens.

Now what happens to TyLee's football program? Coaching changes can be rough on the players. A good move would be to promote Huffstickler and hope it gives a sense of ease to the kids that have come through the program under Owens.

Rod Lee,

I mentioned Huffstickler in my original post. I know for a fact had Owens been named AD, he would have recommended Huffstickler as his replacement. Now, with a new AD, who knows?

Smoaky

Huuf can run the program and should be given an interview when the search begins. He is ready.

But our new AD will have an immediate decision to make, on what direction he wants to go in. He may want to bring in his own coach. TISD will need to get on this qiuckly. With Lee just coming out of their spring game, they have all of their positions carded, and would basically have no choice but to run their basic O and D for at least 1 season. If they go outside... putting in new schemes would be tough when you cant legally meet again as a team until August,... 2 weeks before their first scrimmage?

A few people have mentioned the benefit of the retire/rehire. However, from Smoaky's original post it does not say anything about Mike Owens "retiring". It says that he put in his resignation (no benefits rec'd for that), BIG difference. If that is the case (Smoaky can you confirm?), then I ask my question again...

What is the point/benefit of doing this?

You must resign to collect your retirement and that even includes submitting a resignation letter and filling out paperwork. Then you must separate for 30 days before reapplying. Literally, you must box your stuff up and leave the facility. We have now learned from Coach Owens that he has no plans to retire at this time and he hopes to be back at lee on Aug. 1st. If not, he said he will definitely be coaching somewhere.

The State of Texas and TEA do not consider Head Football Coach and Campus Cordinator as a "hard to fill" position. In order to collect retirement he will have to not teach or coach for one year. He can then return to teaching/coaching but retirement pay is reduced by half. You have to be a principal, math, science, or special ed teacher to be able to retire/rehire at the present time.