***BREAKING NEWS*** Tyler Lee's Mike Owens resigns

Smoaky

All I know is what he said in his interview is that he will reapply on Aug. 1st. and he has every intention of being the best qualified candidate for Lee at that time, but realizes that it is up to the district to make that decision. He explained in 2 detailed interviews that I have heard as well as 2 newspaper articles. He also discussed it thoroughly with the district HR staff. It is not my concern if he collects 1/2, 1/4, or no retirement at all. He said he must separate for 30 days and that Tyler Lee must post for the position. The Super, reiterated this position. I am sure the Tyler HR staff and Super are just not familiar with your regs....LOL.

A few people have mentioned the benefit of the retire/rehire. However, from Smoaky's original post it does not say anything about Mike Owens "retiring". It says that he put in his resignation (no benefits rec'd for that), BIG difference. If that is the case (Smoaky can you confirm?), then I ask my question again...

What is the point/benefit of doing this?

Owens. explains this on KLTV thay he has been thinking about this for a couple of years. He has been eligable to retire for 7 years, and during that time, he has seen his retirement getting cut and adjusted, to the point he wants to lock down his retirement while it is at its best, becasue it is in a constant 2 year review where more adjustments could be made.

He has turned in all of the papers necessary to retire and then rehire if the district wants to have him back. He said he realizes they may not choose to do so, and he is willing to accept that.

If not... he will move on, collect his retirement, and coach somewhere else.

He is really just looking out for his best interest, which I see him as a wise owl in doing this.

However... I really dont see TISD doing this at all. Smoaky reported back in the AD search that a candidate tried to come in this way, and TISD told hime they would not do that. They would have to be careful doing something like that, becasue teachers would be lined up down the loop wanting the same deal. and that would be costly. Unless....... they retire all of the old timers and brought them back at a entry level salary...

I really dont think this will take long for TISD to make a decision.

There are a couple misconceptions on here about retire/rehire......I know........because I am a retire /rehire........

1. You dont go on half retirement..............If you do not work in education for a full caledar year after retirement.....you may be rehired and you recieve full retirement and full salary (what ever you agree to....they don't have to offer pay scale).............if you are rehired before your calendar year has expired(that's me) you lose 3 months of your retirement income each year........now.....when you do retire fully.....you get those 3 months back each year..........

2. It does not cost the district one penny to hire anyone back...............what has to be payed is your share of TRS(which you get no benefit from)........and your TRS care (Retirees health insurrance) if you opted for it............this comes out of your check from the district.....they pay 0...............

Yes you do pay into TRS and get no benefit from it.............but the money you're making... retirement (for 9 months)+ salary.....far overshadow that deduction.........

If you knew what I made for the last 4 years..............some would croak...............................

There are a couple misconceptions on here about retire/rehire......I know........because I am a retire /rehire........

1. You dont go on half retirement..............If you do not work in education for a full caledar year after retirement.....you may be rehired and you recieve full retirement and full salary (what ever you agree to....they don't have to offer pay scale).............if you are rehired before your calendar year has expired(that's me) you lose 3 months of your retirement income each year........now.....when you do retire fully.....you get those 3 months back each year..........

2. It does not cost the district one penny to hire anyone back...............what has to be payed is your share of TRS(which you get no benefit from)........and your TRS care (Retirees health insurrance) if you opted for it............this comes out of your check from the district.....they pay 0...............

Yes you do pay into TRS and get no benefit from it.............but the money you're making... retirement (for 9 months)+ salary.....far overshadow that deduction.........

If you knew what I made for the last 4 years..............some would croak...............................

Champ, can I borrow some money?? I work in sales with schools being our biggest customer base and with the budget situations being what they are, my checks are shrinking big time and I have a boy about to graduate and head off too college.

we have seen in years past with T.I.S.D. just because you have been with a program for a long time dosent mean you're going to get the job. Look at Coach Rush he was with JT for 7 years before he got the job. So I don't think that Huffstickler is a shoe in for the new Head Coaching spot at lee.

this is not looking good for Lee football this coming up year.

Have you seen Lee's schedule? It will be one of the toughest in the State again.

It was going to be an up hill battle before this issue came up.

If Owens doesnt get reinstated, then Huffstickler would be the best fit, in the short amount of time they will have.

Owens moved some kids around in the spring game and found some good talent for next season. They have some good talent coming back, and Wallace at tailback. But... like most schools ... they must get a quality play from their QB position. Seeber is returning there, and started the first 4-5 games last year.. So he will be ready by the season opener.

Again.. regardless of who's coaching next year... their schedule is a going to be murder.

Have you seen Lee's schedule? It will be one of the toughest in the State again.

It was going to be an up hill battle before this issue came up.

If Owens doesnt get reinstated, then Huffstickler would be the best fit, in the short amount of time they will have.

Owens moved some kids around in the spring game and found some good talent for next season. They have some good talent coming back, and Wallace at tailback. But... like most schools ... they must get a quality play from their QB position. Seeber is returning there, and started the first 4-5 games last year.. So he will be ready by the season opener.

Again.. regardless of who's coaching next year... their schedule is a going to be murder.

lets just say that Huffstickler isnt the one they go with when school starts, and Owens didn't come back. We could be looking at the same thing that happened, when Wilson lift John Tyler in 01. If this new guy comes in somethings with be changed they will not stay the same. Huffstickler could get the job, but he going to want to put in some new things in the plays.

Hopefully, TISD will get this right. Owens is very deserving of returning to his job come Aug. 1. He is a great person and a great leader, they missed the boat when they didn't give him the A.D. position.