Texarkana PG vs Argyle

eagles66

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the Hawks. Bucannon was un-hittable in game 2 with 14 K's against an Argyle team that had been averaging 10 runs/game in the playoffs. The Hawks play the game the way it should be, they make you pay for every mistake, and they deserve their 4th straight trip to state.

I'll hold short of congratulating coach Jones though. His behavior was disgraceful for any high school coach that's supposed to be a leader of his kids. If the UIL doesn't suspend him, which is highly probable, then the Pleasant Grove school board should if there is any integrity at all. All of us have done things we regret and I'm sure Coach Jones would have handled things differently and not thrown a tantrum by repeatedly kicking dirt on the umpire who ejected him if he was given the chance. Still, there are consequences for acting a fool and Coach Jones should face them and I also hope he gets some counseling. A grown man with just a little emotional maturity wouldn't act the way he did regardless of whether the umpire acting too quickly in ejecting him (which I thought he did).

Congratulations to Coach Jones and the Hawks. Good luck next week.

Congratulations to the Hawks. Bucannon was un-hittable in game 2 with 14 K's against an Argyle team that had been averaging 10 runs/game in the playoffs. The Hawks play the game the way it should be, they make you pay for every mistake, and they deserve their 4th straight trip to state.

I'll hold short of congratulating coach Jones though. His behavior was disgraceful for any high school coach that's supposed to be a leader of his kids. If the UIL doesn't suspend him, which is highly probable, then the Pleasant Grove school board should if there is any integrity at all. All of us have done things we regret and I'm sure Coach Jones would have handled things differently and not thrown a tantrum by repeatedly kicking dirt on the umpire who ejected him if he was given the chance. Still, there are consequences for acting a fool and Coach Jones should face them and I also hope he gets some counseling. A grown man with just a little emotional maturity wouldn't act the way he did regardless of whether the umpire acting too quickly in ejecting him (which I thought he did).

The umpire walked away from him 3 times and didn't eject him until he yelled, "YOU ARE CHEATING MY KIDS". Not a quick trigger at all--those are magic words in the officiating business...especially after the coach has been warned adequately. In the act of kicking dirt on the umpire, he kicked his leg. He is lucky the ump didn't file charges with the Paris PD.

The umpire walked away from him 3 times and didn't eject him until he yelled, "YOU ARE CHEATING MY KIDS". Not a quick trigger at all--those are magic words in the officiating business...especially after the coach has been warned adequately. In the act of kicking dirt on the umpire, he kicked his leg. He is lucky the ump didn't file charges with the Paris PD.

while we are sitting here bashing coach jones things need to be put in perspective....first of all the superintendent mrs davis was there and she supports coach jones....nobody liked what happened and we all wish it hadnt of happened but it did happen so lets go back and see what made it happen......first of all the so-called umpire in question was at first base in game one.....he came and told us as parents to find the administrater for pg....he made coach davis move a few of pg's fans move from sitting down the first base line....they were not being abusive but they were riding him pretty good....instead of handling that situation which any good umpire in charge would have he had someone else do it.....that is his job and if he wants to throw the people out then he has that authority....he did not throw them out which probably means that those fans were not being abusive just riding him pretty good as most of us do during a baseball game....umpires should have thick skin not thin skin...i have umpired and you would be amazed what people say but as long as they are not cussing or being abusive then take it and do your job which is to umpire the game.....second this so-called umpire never once called the balk from first base in game one and with a lefty this is the best place to see the 45 degree rule....this bring us to game two where now the so-called umpire is behind the plate....he nows sees everything and can call and see the 45 degree rule being broke.....give me a break....the umpire at first never saw it and i highly doubt that the home plate umpire saw it either.....as soon as he made the balk call he saw coach jones coming out to question the call and he immediately pointed for him to go back to the dugout...and he started walking toward the other dugout....if i know the rules the coach can question any call except #### and strikes.....the umpire never wanted to discuss his call....now he can be in charge whereas in game one he needs someone else to do his job....i as a parent did not like they way things happened but coach jones was supporting his players and that part i do support....i was there all three games and umpires like that one have no place in high school sports.....cheating the kids is exactly what he was doing

The Coach Jones issue is a separate thing, if people want to debate that, go ahead.

Sounds like the umpire could be as easily reprimanded for improper management of the game.

Who was right and wrong, either way will not change.

Only people's perception at the moment matters, and for those that didn't see it, including me, can't form a valid opinion based on heresay.

Rules being what they are, if there is a consequence, it will be upheld. If not, then the rules were followed.

Bottom line, is that the Hawks won game two with the Coach out,

The remaining staff is by no means incapable.

(Phillips has been to the State tournament for the last SIX years.)

The pitching by T Buch was awesome.

Game Three was a battle, but when the last out was recorded, the team that played best won.

Hawks are going to Austin.

Everything else is in the books, and won't change.

Dust in the wind.

Craig Jones best high school baseball coach in East Texas, record speaks for itself and he defends his kids taking whatever measures are necessary. At same time it's obvious he had a temper and he should work on it.

i do not know of very many good baseball coaches who do not have a temper

while we are sitting here bashing coach jones things need to be put in perspective....first of all the superintendent mrs davis was there and she supports coach jones....nobody liked what happened and we all wish it hadnt of happened but it did happen so lets go back and see what made it happen......first of all the so-called umpire in question was at first base in game one.....he came and told us as parents to find the administrater for pg....he made coach davis move a few of pg's fans move from sitting down the first base line....they were not being abusive but they were riding him pretty good....instead of handling that situation which any good umpire in charge would have he had someone else do it.....that is his job and if he wants to throw the people out then he has that authority....he did not throw them out which probably means that those fans were not being abusive just riding him pretty good as most of us do during a baseball game....umpires should have thick skin not thin skin...i have umpired and you would be amazed what people say but as long as they are not cussing or being abusive then take it and do your job which is to umpire the game.....second this so-called umpire never once called the balk from first base in game one and with a lefty this is the best place to see the 45 degree rule....this bring us to game two where now the so-called umpire is behind the plate....he nows sees everything and can call and see the 45 degree rule being broke.....give me a break....the umpire at first never saw it and i highly doubt that the home plate umpire saw it either.....as soon as he made the balk call he saw coach jones coming out to question the call and he immediately pointed for him to go back to the dugout...and he started walking toward the other dugout....if i know the rules the coach can question any call except #### and strikes.....the umpire never wanted to discuss his call....now he can be in charge whereas in game one he needs someone else to do his job....i as a parent did not like they way things happened but coach jones was supporting his players and that part i do support....i was there all three games and umpires like that one have no place in high school sports.....cheating the kids is exactly what he was doing

Based on this post alone, it is painfully obvious that you are nothing other than an uneducated fan. If indeed you do umpire, you have had no formal training in either mechanics, rules, or game management.

1. TASO umpires are specifically trained not to ever engage fans directly. This is strictly the job of security or administration.

2. The best position to see the step on a pickoff play is the Home Plate position. 1st base has a runner crossing between him and the pitcher as the runner dives back, and he has the subsequent catch and tag to focus on. It is nearly impossible to see the step and officiate the tag.

3. There is no reference at all in the NFHS book of a 45 Degree rule. The HS book states that the pitcher must step directly to the bag that he is throwing to. Most umps use 45 degrees as a thumb rule, but it is not a book rule.

4. A coach never has the automatic "right" to argue any judgement call made by any umpire. If the umpire does not wish to discuss the call, he can elect not to grant a time out for such discussion.

5. Once a coach pleads his case and the umpire walks away, the discussion is over. Any further acts of intimidation or disrespect result in consequences.

Please do not represent yourself as an expert on umpiring when you are not armed with the proper tools. Calling a few 9-10 year old Dixie games does not make you qualified to comment on this situation as a person who knows the umpiring business.

The facts are really not in dispute since he threw his tantrum in front of every fan there. Regardless of whether the umpire was justified in ejecting Coach Jones or not - and it sounds like he was from the TASO rules, his actions afterwards were unexcusable. How could any of you, as an adult, feel that what he did was just acceptable? I'm obviously an Argyle fan and even I was embarrassed for him.

He doesn't deserve to coach a team as good as that at state. Anything less would be condoning that kind of behavior

Based on this post alone, it is painfully obvious that you are nothing other than an uneducated fan. If indeed you do umpire, you have had no formal training in either mechanics, rules, or game management.

1. TASO umpires are specifically trained not to ever engage fans directly. This is strictly the job of security or administration.

2. The best position to see the step on a pickoff play is the Home Plate position. 1st base has a runner crossing between him and the pitcher as the runner dives back, and he has the subsequent catch and tag to focus on. It is nearly impossible to see the step and officiate the tag.

3. There is no reference at all in the NFHS book of a 45 Degree rule. The HS book states that the pitcher must step directly to the bag that he is throwing to. Most umps use 45 degrees as a thumb rule, but it is not a book rule.

4. A coach never has the automatic "right" to argue any judgement call made by any umpire. If the umpire does not wish to discuss the call, he can elect not to grant a time out for such discussion.

5. Once a coach pleads his case and the umpire walks away, the discussion is over. Any further acts of intimidation or disrespect result in consequences.

Please do not represent yourself as an expert on umpiring when you are not armed with the proper tools. Calling a few 9-10 year old Dixie games does not make you qualified to comment on this situation as a person who knows the umpiring business.

The facts are really not in dispute since he threw his tantrum in front of every fan there. Regardless of whether the umpire was justified in ejecting Coach Jones or not - and it sounds like he was from the TASO rules, his actions afterwards were unexcusable. How could any of you, as an adult, feel that what he did was just acceptable? I'm obviously an Argyle fan and even I was embarrassed for him.

He doesn't deserve to coach a team as good as that at state. Anything less would be condoning that kind of behavior

go back and read my post..never said i was proud of it or was it acceptable.......was not happy with it either....dont say i said something that i did not say

got more educatiuon than you and the rest of your family.....no good umpire will not discuss a call with a coach....you are an umpire and i know that you will discuss all calls but ballsand strikes .....if you do not then you are not a very good umpire.....you have no idea what i have umpired so do not stick your big foot in your mouth without knowing what i have umpired...never assume anything.....could also be why UIL wants to control the umpires who have all this formal training

How about if you guys who want to discuss the "Coach should be hung" stuff begin another thread.

This rabbit trail, while entertaining, is getting off topic from THIS thread topic.

While the incident was a part of the game, it seems to be growing into a distraction.

The results are what they are, the game is over.

Have an opinion, but somewhere else, please.

The boys on both teams played hard, let's not take away from that by turning it into another thread which other people use as an example of a reason why not to join Smoakhouse.

Y'all can argue all u want.. I was wanting PG to win, but I don't have a kid that plays for PG, just a baseball fan!! I was at the game and Jones actions were unacceptable, but so were the umpires.. I have umpires for 10 years, all ages from Dixie, high school and legion. The umpire could have defused the situation, but he made it a point to embarrass Jone and would not even attempt to explain the call. He called a bock, and when Jone come out for an explanation he refused to give it. In fact just told him to stay in his dug out. As an umpire, when u make that call, u expect to have to explain it. If the umpire was not so arrogant, he could have explained himself, and if he was confident in his call, most coaches would diagree, but they will go on.. But the umpire was offended from th start that it was questioned!! Jones actions were wrong, but to lay no blame on the umpire is ignorance!!!

Y'all can argue all u want.. I was wanting PG to win, but I don't have a kid that plays for PG, just a baseball fan!! I was at the game and Jones actions were unacceptable, but so were the umpires.. I have umpires for 10 years, all ages from Dixie, high school and legion. The umpire could have defused the situation, but he made it a point to embarrass Jone and would not even attempt to explain the call. He called a bock, and when Jone come out for an explanation he refused to give it. In fact just told him to stay in his dug out. As an umpire, when u make that call, u expect to have to explain it. If the umpire was not so arrogant, he could have explained himself, and if he was confident in his call, most coaches would diagree, but they will go on.. But the umpire was offended from th start that it was questioned!! Jones actions were wrong, but to lay no blame on the umpire is ignorance!!!

Usually when an umpire is quick to refuse an explanation and gets agitated easily he is wrong about the call that was made. It's just natural, and I have seen it multiple times with all different levels of umpires.