Volleyball Season

kramer

Wondering if there are any volleyball fans, players, or coaches out there in Smoaky land? What are some of the goals and expectations for your team this fall?

As a volleyball fan I am excited about this season. I think there will be several good teams to watch this year. Longview looks stronger than ever and Pine Tree is loaded with seniors and should go far in the playoffs. I know White Oak won the state title last year and lost some good players but should continue their winnning ways. Spring Hill also had a great run in 2010 and lost some quality players but they will rebuild and be strong again.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if there are any volleyball fans, players, or coaches out there in Smoaky land? What are some of the goals and expectations for your team this fall?

As you can imagine, there isn't the same interest in HS sports outside of football, basketball, and maybe baseball. Vball talk will be pretty scarce until district starts, and even then, pretty minimal. Playday scrimmages are coming up this weekend. It's a good chance for fans to get a first look at this year's crop, usually free admission and (hopefully) with free AC to boot. I'll wait until then to post first impressions.

Scrimmages at Gladewater today with Ore City, Union Grove, Big Sandy, and Daingerfield. New coaches at Gladewater - had the girls looking pretty good. Daingerfield will be young after losing 9 off of last year's varsity squad. More scrimmages tomorrow at New Diana...ready to get the season started. Best of luck to everyone in East Texas. Would have been a good chance today for some officials to get some practice at Gladewater, no officals at all today.

Watched a couple of playdays this weekend with Lamar County schools North Lamar & Paris (3A) and Prairiland & Chisum (2A). Of course, it's early and it's just practice sessions, but it looks like Prairiland will be a bit down from last year (District 12-2A runnerup), while Chisum has a scrappy bunch and will surprise some people. North Lamar is probably the preseason favorite to win District 15-3A. Paris lost a lot from last year's top 5-ranked team but still has all-state hitter Andi Bawcum and should be in the mix for a playoff spot. In other 15-3A news, Texarkana Gazette reports that Imani Wright won't play volleyball this year to concentrate on basketball. That's a big blow to Liberty-Eylau's chances.

District 18-3A Huntington, defending district champion has lost a large part of their team due to graduation. Also, Coach Goodman resigned and took both her daughters, who were starters, with her. Kirbyville returns most of a strong team that was tied with Diboll for the district runner up. Kirbyville also returns their district POY. Diboll graduates 2 starters and their libero, and will bring in several upper classmen to join the 4 starters who are now only Juniors, so they will see some growing pains early in the season, but should come on as the season progresses.

Our goal for the volleyball team this year is for them not to gouge the gym floor with their equipment.

Well, so far so good. No scratches! That may change, though, when they have to start taking the net down everyday to clear the floor for basketball practice during the athletic period.

• 1 month later...

Well, so far so good. No scratches! That may change, though, when they have to start taking the net down everyday to clear the floor for basketball practice during the athletic period.

Good one!! Is that not a gym set aside for each sport. Lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

As it usually happens each year, our volleyball coach has pretty much thrown in the towel. Our basketball and track coaches have been working the kids out getting them ready for their upcoming seasons. I guess that is what happens when you've won 2 volleyball games out of 30 or so. How this lady keeps her job I will never know!

• 1 month later...