"Unwritten rules" in MLB

greinke

If, like me, you think baseball's "unwritten rules" are sometimes ridiculous you need to see Carlos Guillen demonstrate the correct method of showing up a pitcher. To set it up, Ordonez had homered off of Weaver earlier in the game and evidently stood a second or two too long at home watching the flight of the ball. On a subsequent popout, Weaver and Ordonez exchanged words. Guillen then homers off of Weaver and demonstrates what it truly meant by showing up the opposing pitcher.

Funny stuff from Guillen.

The ironic thing is the Angels tried to break up Verlander's no-no with a bunt, yet they still want to play by those same "unwritten rules" of baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...ent_id=17505703

Well, MLB has changed the link address and it takes you to highlights for the entire game. The video I'm referencing is titled Guillen's Solo Dinger.

I tried to google some of the "unwritten rules" and this is what I found http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-Code-Ten-unwritten-baseball-rules-you-mig?urn=mlb-238853 . I don't like some of them such as 1 - If it's a pitch you want why not take a crack at it, 9 - I think pitchers shouldn't leave the bench, unless the manager tells them to "hit the showers", and 10 - I'd be like Oscar Gamble. I batted right handed, and I was taught at an early age to walk behind the catcher and umpire. Thinking about it, I have seen players cross homeplate, and it struck me as odd. I never knew there was an "unwritten" rule about it.

If, like me, you think baseball's "unwritten rules" are sometimes ridiculous you need to see Carlos Guillen demonstrate the correct method of showing up a pitcher. To set it up, Ordonez had homered off of Weaver earlier in the game and evidently stood a second or two too long at home watching the flight of the ball. On a subsequent popout, Weaver and Ordonez exchanged words. Guillen then homers off of Weaver and demonstrates what it truly meant by showing up the opposing pitcher.

Funny stuff from Guillen.

The ironic thing is the Angels tried to break up Verlander's no-no with a bunt, yet they still want to play by those same "unwritten rules" of baseball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...ent_id=17505703

Well, MLB has changed the link address and it takes you to highlights for the entire game. The video I'm referencing is titled Guillen's Solo Dinger.

I had no prob with the bunt..it was a 3-0 game..that bunt led to them making it a 3-2 game..is a team supposed to say well we could try something to get back in the game but wait our opponent is throwing a no hitter so we should just let him have that no big deal...if the bun was tried in a 7-0 game ok..but this game was still in doubt

I had no prob with the bunt..it was a 3-0 game..that bunt led to them making it a 3-2 game..is a team supposed to say well we could try something to get back in the game but wait our opponent is throwing a no hitter so we should just let him have that no big deal...if the bun was tried in a 7-0 game ok..but this game was still in doubt

I had no problem with the bunt either. Found it interesting, though, that the Tigers did.