What happened or is happening?

Metoyer didn't get the job done in the classroom and despite having earned a sheepskin from Whitehouse High, apparently is going to be headed off to Hargrave Military Academy to try to get his academics in order (without losing any eligibility) so that he cane gain his eligibility and be able to return to OU at some point in the future.

WOW........ that's not good.

I would think, as an athlete, if you want to play collegiate sports you should make sure your ducks are in a row in high school.

Sad day. I certainly hope he gets this straightened out, heck of a player that I would love to see go far.

Guess I know why he didn't go to UT now. LOL

WOW........ that's not good.

I would think, as an athlete, if you want to play collegiate sports you should make sure your ducks are in a row in high school.

Sad day. I certainly hope he gets this straightened out, heck of a player that I would love to see go far.

It's sad that high schools do not always think this way. If you can pass your TAKS test you can graduate most high schools in Texas. The problem is that we quit preparing students for college and prepare them for a stupid test that is on a 6-7th grade level AND KIDS STILL CANT PASS IT! Teachers don't even know how to prepare kids for the next level because they are so far behind coming out of their TAKS year. Just retarded, public school is broken. Athletics trump academics more than 50% of the time.

It's sad that high schools do not always think this way. If you can pass your TAKS test you can graduate most high schools in Texas. The problem is that we quit preparing students for college and prepare them for a stupid test that is on a 6-7th grade level AND KIDS STILL CANT PASS IT! Teachers don't even know how to prepare kids for the next level because they are so far behind coming out of their TAKS year. Just retarded, public school is broken. Athletics trump academics more than 50% of the time.

true but dont blame everything on teachers and schools ,parents have the biggest role in educating their kids. and of course the kid needs some self motivation to become something more than the village idiot

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say here 99. But it is not anyone's job at the high school level to make sure a student/athlete is eligible to play sports under NCAA eligibility requirements. That's all on the student and his parents. Metoyer passed his classes and graduated high school. Making sure he can play football for Oklahoma is not part of the teacher's/administrators' job description.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say here 99. But it is not anyone's job at the high school level to make sure a student/athlete is eligible to play sports under NCAA eligibility requirements. That's all on the student and his parents. Metoyer passed his classes and graduated high school. Making sure he can play football for Oklahoma is not part of the teacher's/administrators' job description.

well said frank

Personally, it is my responsibilityas a parent to oversee my child(ren) in school and ensure they are doing what it takes to pass and be successful later in life in something other than athletics. My kids have always known school work/success comes first and then athletics but if you can combine them and not lose a step in either.... even better.

Personally, it is my responsibilityas a parent to oversee my child(ren) in school and ensure they are doing what it takes to pass and be successful later in life in something other than athletics. My kids have always known school work/success comes first and then athletics but if you can combine them and not lose a step in either.... even better.

good work mom , need more like you

Guess I know why he didn't go to UT now. LOL

"

:rolleyes: Yeah right, 'cause there's no way he could've qualified for a school that produced such "Rhodes Scholars" as Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and Vince "Wonderlic" Young.

The problem is that we quit preparing students for college and prepare them for a stupid test that is on a 6-7th grade level AND KIDS STILL CANT PASS IT! Teachers don't even know how to prepare kids for the next level because they are so far behind coming out of their TAKS year. Just retarded, public school is broken.

100% true. Don't blame the teachers. Schools are rated by TAKS scores. They give weeks off, rewards, and put the whole classroom environment on hold well before and through the tests. If anybody thinks schools don't put TAKS scores ahead of the importance of learning they are naive. It's a dirty little secret that the educational system doesn't want you to know. I'm not blaming school districts. It is the design of the system. They have no choice but to play the game.

I'm not sure how this system helps people. Yes, a small percentage of people that play college football become professional football players, but how is it helping them to not allow them to play? And anybody denying that college football is the minor league for the NFL IS FOOLING THEMSELVES. My point.... What's the point in this no pass-no play system?

It is society's attempt to set the right priorities which don't seem to be emphasized in the home.

You might not like it, but I agree with it. Personally I would like to see a carry over of the last 6 weeks of a school year to the first of the next year. Keep the kids focused on their education the entire year.

Now we know why that will never occur.

Maybe with all the hoopla that was made about him here on Smoaky and in all the papers he began to think that exceptions would be made for him. This is a perfect example of why those can't miss prospects miss more times than not. It is very unfortunate and I hope he can get things in order. This should be an example for other high caliber players that are being told by everyone how wonderful they are.

It is society's attempt to set the right priorities which don't seem to be emphasized in the home.

You might not like it, but I agree with it. Personally I would like to see a carry over of the last 6 weeks of a school year to the first of the next year. Keep the kids focused on their education the entire year.

Now we know why that will never occur.

I believe that happens now. Can someone confirm. I believe a kid is ineligible for the first 3 weeks of school.

Maybe with all the hoopla that was made about him here on Smoaky and in all the papers he began to think that exceptions would be made for him. This is a perfect example of why those can't miss prospects miss more times than not. It is very unfortunate and I hope he can get things in order. This should be an example for other high caliber players that are being told by everyone how wonderful they are.

So true, just because your a star on the field does not mean you don't have to do the work in the classroom. Education first and then sports!!