Honey Grove vs Cooper

Guitarman

Cooper won this game last season with a great second half of football. Can they do it at Warrior Stadium this Friday? HG has breezed through their scrimmages. Fun to watch HG in the spread offense. Receivers are quick and have good hands. Sr QB has been dead-on with his passes. Reading the defense well. Three very strong running backs and are good receivers also. I would expect to see the ball spread out to all receivers and a lot of yards passing. But if the middle opens up the QB has wheels. But it is a rival game and anything can happen. Should be a very fun game.

This is always a great rival game in NE Texas. I think one of the longest running in the area, 50 plus years if I'm not mistaken. Not sure who else Cooper brings back other than their star QB, who is a hoss. I'll take HG by 14.

Great pre-game summary Guitarman.

This is always a great rival game in NE Texas. I think one of the longest running in the area, 50 plus years if I'm not mistaken. Not sure who else Cooper brings back other than their star QB, who is a hoss. I'll take HG by 14.

Great pre-game summary Guitarman.

Ty Huey (spelling?) was a Sr QB for Cooper last year. He is playing baseball for PJC now. He was on the Paris team that won the Dixie League World Series this summer. Not sure who will be Coopers QB in this game. One of their QB's is hurt. HG will be missing a lineman to a foot injury.

Who is playong qb for cooper while the starter is out?

A source tells me J.P.Marchand will start a QB. J.P. has experience at QB so should be able to fill the spot. Honey

grove wont be able to stop the tandem of Montrel Roberts and Damarcus Robinson. It may start out as a real shoot out, but, Cooper pulls away in the 4th

A source tells me J.P.Marchand will start a QB. J.P. has experience at QB so should be able to fill the spot. Honey

grove wont be able to stop the tandem of Montrel Roberts and Damarcus Robinson. It may start out as a real shoot out, but, Cooper pulls away in the 4th

It will be fun to see if Montrel Roberts and Damarcus Robinson have the speed to get around HG defense. HG best asset is speed this year.

Cooper is currently ranked 16th in 2A-Division II and Honey Grove is ranked 16th in 1A-Division I according to MaxPreps. This game is a great Northeast Texas rivalry, but in the end, I see the Bulldogs taking this one.

The polls don't lie.

Cooper is currently ranked 16th in 2A-Division II and Honey Grove is ranked 16th in 1A-Division I according to MaxPreps. This game is a great Northeast Texas rivalry, but in the end, I see the Bulldogs taking this one.

No offense, but Max Preps rankings are a total joke. They're based on last years stats put in by coaches, if any were put in at all.. Those polls are next to worthless.

No offense, but Max Preps rankings are a total joke. They're based on last years stats put in by coaches, if any were put in at all.. Those polls are next to worthless.

I agree. But the top 4 or 5 ranked teams generally are very good. After that who really knows. I get a better feel for teams after about 3 games. It helps on 1A and 2A teams if you know the talent moving up from JV and how long the system has been in place. That is what makes this so much fun. If I remember right the only lose Cooper JV had was against HG. HG JV only lost 2 games and both were to 3A JV teams. In 1A not all teams have JV so you have to go out and find a JV game. Generally these are to 3A teams on their bye week.

Some Statistics on this series - Honey Grove vs Cooper. I was way off thinking this was at 50 or so games. After looking back via Lonestar Network, these two teams began playing each other in 1914. There were some missing game data in each early decade, but I counted total games being 78. HG 42 to Cooper 36. I found it really interesting that these two teams have been playing each other that long. It has to be some sort of record. Should be a good game tonight as they seem pretty evenly matched.

This will be a great game. I hope one of you fellow Smoakers keep us updated this evening

I will be at the game. I will post a summary after the game. Cooper JV beat HG JV last night 12-0. Just what you would expect from JV teams that are the practice squads for Varsity. Lot of holding and fumbles. If either team would have had a fast running back they would have put up a lot of points. Cooper excecuted well on a run up the middle for a 60 yard TD. Last score came at the end of the game when HG turned the ball over on downs at their own 25 yard line. I would assume that both teams future running backs are on varsity.

Some Statistics on this series - Honey Grove vs Cooper. I was way off thinking this was at 50 or so games. After looking back via Lonestar Network, these two teams began playing each other in 1914. There were some missing game data in each early decade, but I counted total games being 78. HG 42 to Cooper 36. I found it really interesting that these two teams have been playing each other that long. It has to be some sort of record. Should be a good game tonight as they seem pretty evenly matched.

This will be meeting #86--HG 44 Cooper 42---it would be consecutive, but Cooper did not have a team one year in the early 1920s.