Quarterbacks Better Than Tony Romo

DaveTV1

All Romo has is excuses, you, Buckeyefan1984, and badblackcat to worship him.

I've been accused of worshiping the alter of logic, but I don't see where I've applied any wish-casting in its place.

Looking at Tarkenton's career actually strengthens my premise that YPA/QBR pass defense is the make-or-break factor that drives teams to the playoffs, often dragging an average or below-average quarterback with it. In 1973, '74, and '76, Tarkenton did not manage 20 touchdown passes nor exceeded a 7 yard YPA. These were the Vikings' "glory" years. In 1975 Tark actually had a much better season, chucking 25 TD's and a 91 QBR (!) while only turning the ball over 14 times total (only 1 fumble this year).

The Vikings were one and done that year. It was an "off" year for the pass defense.

I make no pretensions of Romo; I only deny contradictions in terms when I see them. Believe me, when the topic on this board revolved around Romo replacing Bledsoe in 2006, I was firmly against it. I don't rush to declare him a god among quarterbacks (which appears to happen to Eli in every October before his inevitable decline), nor do I cry for him to be traded for the nearest long snapper at the first sign of trouble.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a 6-5 playoff record. That speaks of average to me. To be blessed with some of the greatest defenses, I would have expected more from an average qb.

Fran Tarkenton, an average quarterback to you, is in the Pro Football Hall of fame, somewhere that Romo won't ever be unless he buys admission and tours the building.

Tarkenton_Fran__Induction_180-220.jpg

Fran Tarkenton, an average quarterback to you, is in the Pro Football Hall of fame, somewhere that Romo won't ever be unless he buys admission and tours the building.

It will be a few years before Romo can qualify for the Hall of Fame. At the rate he is going and progressing he will no doubt make it there on ballots.

I've been accused of worshiping the alter of logic, but I don't see where I've applied any wish-casting in its place.

Looking at Tarkenton's career actually strengthens my premise that YPA/QBR pass defense is the make-or-break factor that drives teams to the playoffs, often dragging an average or below-average quarterback with it. In 1973, '74, and '76, Tarkenton did not manage 20 touchdown passes nor exceeded a 7 yard YPA. These were the Vikings' "glory" years. In 1975 Tark actually had a much better season, chucking 25 TD's and a 91 QBR (!) while only turning the ball over 14 times total (only 1 fumble this year).

The Vikings were one and done that year. It was an "off" year for the pass defense.

I make no pretensions of Romo; I only deny contradictions in terms when I see them. Believe me, when the topic on this board revolved around Romo replacing Bledsoe in 2006, I was firmly against it. I don't rush to declare him a god among quarterbacks (which appears to happen to Eli in every October before his inevitable decline), nor do I cry for him to be traded for the nearest long snapper at the first sign of trouble.

Different era for stats by a quarterback as well. Pass interference rules were changed in 1977 to open up the passing game.

A 16-game regular season, 4-game preseason was adopted to begin in 1978.

A second wild-card team was adopted for the playoffs beginning in 1978, with the wild-card teams to play each other and the winners advancing to a round of eight postseason series.

Rule changes were adopted to open up the passing game and to cut down on injuries.

Defenders were permitted to make contact with eligible receivers only once; the head slap was outlawed; offensive linemen were prohibited from thrusting their hands to an opponent's neck, face, or head; and wide receivers were prohibited from clipping, even in the legal clipping zone.

Taken from : http://www.sportsattic.com/araig/NflRulesHistory.htm The modern era rules didn't apply back then. Tarkenton had the Packers of the 60's to contend with, then the Cowboys of the late 60's and 70's to deal with. Even against those teams he was able to get 6 victories. Tony still only has 1.

He had great stats and he was 6 foot flat, like another quarterback that plays in New Orleans.

Different era for stats by a quarterback as well. Pass interference rules were changed in 1977 to open up the passing game.

A 16-game regular season, 4-game preseason was adopted to begin in 1978.

A second wild-card team was adopted for the playoffs beginning in 1978, with the wild-card teams to play each other and the winners advancing to a round of eight postseason series.

Rule changes were adopted to open up the passing game and to cut down on injuries.

Defenders were permitted to make contact with eligible receivers only once; the head slap was outlawed; offensive linemen were prohibited from thrusting their hands to an opponent's neck, face, or head; and wide receivers were prohibited from clipping, even in the legal clipping zone.

Taken from : http://www.sportsatt...ulesHistory.htm The modern era rules didn't apply back then. Tarkenton had the Packers of the 60's to contend with, then the Cowboys of the late 60's and 70's to deal with. Even against those teams he was able to get 6 victories. Tony still only has 1.

It is all still relative. I understand about the different changes over the years that make the offense shine. Why even bother comparing those six victories to the one? You could say it was easier to win back then because less games were played. Competition is still competition. Remember it took him 12 years just to get that first win (oh wait) .....just to make the playoffs. He got traded twice during this time.

It is all still relative. I understand about the different changes over the years that make the offense shine. Why even bother comparing those six victories to the one? You could say it was easier to win back then because less games were played. Competition is still competition. Remember it took him 12 years just to get that first win (oh wait) .....just to make the playoffs. He got traded twice during this time.

I can see any rookie Quarterback having a tough time with an expansion team back in the 60's against 3 of the greatest coaches that have ever existed. Blanton Collier wasn't a bad coach in his own right. Coach Landry knew better than to start Don Meredith under similar circumstances, and even Don Meredith couldn't put up with the NFL back then. No one in their right mind would say that Norm Van Brocklin was a great coach, but Bud Grant realized that Fran was a solid QB. I seriously doubt that Tony Romo will last 19 years in the NFL.

I can see any rookie Quarterback having a tough time with an expansion team back in the 60's against 3 of the greatest coaches that have ever existed. Blanton Collier wasn't a bad coach in his own right. Coach Landry knew better than to start Don Meredith under similar circumstances, and even Don Meredith couldn't put up with the NFL back then. No one in their right mind would say that Norm Van Brocklin was a great coach, but Bud Grant realized that Fran was a solid QB. I seriously doubt that Tony Romo will last 19 years in the NFL.

I agree Tarkenton was a solid QB. Longevity does not equate to greatness. Anyone can say they doubt a QB will last 19 years because the odds are greatly against anyone lasting that long.

Yes those were very good coaches. We can shoot them all down with debate tho'. Same can be said with today's coaches. Some coaches are bigger in memory than in actuality.

I agree Tarkenton was a solid QB. Longevity does not equate to greatness. Anyone can say they doubt a QB will last 19 years because the odds are greatly against anyone lasting that long.

Yes those were very good coaches. We can shoot them all down with debate tho'. Same can be said with today's coaches. Some coaches are bigger in memory than in actuality.

The only thing bad that I have to say about Coach Lombardi is he coached the Packers and the Redskins. I have nothing bad to say about Coach Landry, except he coached the Greatest teams I've ever seen. Coach Shula was one of the greatest minds with Baltimore and Miami. I could add Coach Halas who was still coaching Da' Bears and Chuck Noll to the mix. Coach Brown was one of the greatest, but he wasn't coaching when Fran was playing football.