OU's Stephen Good

Hookemhorns88

I was watching the OU/FSU game the other night and did not see a lot of Stephen Good. If I remember correctly he started a lot as a sophomore and a junior. Have injuries derailed his career some since I see that he is #2 or 3 on the depth chart. Always like to see East Texas boys do well even if they are on certain teams.

I was watching the OU/FSU game the other night and did not see a lot of Stephen Good. If I remember correctly he started a lot as a sophomore and a junior. Have injuries derailed his career some since I see that he is #2 or 3 on the depth chart. Always like to see East Texas boys do well even if they are on certain teams.

Good, I believe, is one of those 5-star recruits who never achieve their advance billing. I met him and his father once a few years ago, and he is a nice kid, very respectful, and certainly a good player. The problem, as I see it, (not pretending to be any sort of expert, here, JMO) is that while he can bench a house, and is one of tthe strongest kids on the team, his lateral ability and footwork have relegated him to backup duties - that, and the injuries, as noted, have probably kept him from achieving his full potential.

There also is always the competition factor. OU nearly always has studs who will take your place if you can't perform up to standards.

Would you say the same for Calhoun from Van and Justin Johnson from gilmer? What about Lamar Harris from gilmer?

Yes to both Calhoun and Johnson, (JJ is no longer on the team, and Calhoun has said that he will transfer after this semester). Not sure about Harris, he still could be a contributor, but he isn't tearing up the depth chart... he also wasn't a 5 star recruit like Calhoun and JJ, though.

Sometimes the highly-rated recruits pan out, (Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson), sometimes they don't (Chris Simms, Garrett Gilbert). Ya never know...

That just goes to show you just how good are the ones that do make it. Although there are times when injuries truly do derail an otherwise promising career. It also may demonstrate that it takes more than talent to succeed; it also requires mental toughness. That's not saying that the ones mentioned here lack that; it is just another measurement.