Private Land To Duck Hunt

Guest 4to3

Anyone know of rancher, farmer, property owner who has private land available to lease for duck hunting? Morris, Upshur, Marion, Cass, Bowie, Titus, Camp or Red River County?

Course we don't get any rain, most of the birds will stay north of Texas!

• 4 weeks later...

Ducks will migrate regardless. You know they will eventually hit water when they get to the coast, right.

Actually, drought conditions can make for some excellent public lake hunting. Most all of the non-lake water areas (sloughs, creeks, ect.) are all dry, which should concetrate ducks on lakes.

We shot a ton of teal in Sept on Lake Palestine. Should be a good duck season.

I don't disagree lake hunting could be bountiful. However per the article better get the ducks as soon as they arrive because with low water levels even in the lakes they are not going to find the normal food sources that keep them in a area. The article is saying once the hunting pressure begins and with lack of natural food sources those ducks may say adios quickly.

True, but there are always more ducks migrating down throughout the season. Just trying to help the OP out. If you want to kill alot of ducks this year, best bet is to hunt public lakes and not private lands.

• 3 weeks later...

On lake Palestine, we hammered blue wings in teal season. Since reg season started, we have been killing alot of green wings and lately lots of gadwalls, a few shovelers, a couple of pintails, a few mallards. We have pulled limits most every hunt. 11 Gadwalls, 1 gw teal this morning hunting with one friend. Great season so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Any more duck reports? I just wanted to mention some hunts I had on Lake Proctor some years ago. One time my two hunting buddies and I decided to bypass the 20 point Mallard drakes on a 100 point system and see if we could limit on Pintails. Those ducks coming out of the peanut fields was a sight to see! That particular day we ended up with 29 Pintails which were 10 pointers at that time. I'm kind of surprised at the limits today. I was a long time member of Ducks Unlimited. Since I stopped the sport I only assumed waterfowl in general were doing well enough in their natural breeding grounds to warrant higher limits.

A limit of one Pintail sort of indicates to me the Pintail is not doing so well these days. The Pintail drake is one beautiful duck. We used to shoot them but they were not always the easiest to bring into decoys.

So a hunter can kill six Mallard drakes? I've not looked at the limits in quite some time. I recall it was really a bummer to start the day of hunting off by mistaking a Mallard hen for a Gadwall very early in the fog. Mallard hens were 70 points. Bummer!

We are in the split right now until the 10th.

Yes, you can kill all greenheads. Good luck doing that around here though.