Conundrum

Catmaniac

In Marion county, I have been watching does with fawns for a couple of months now. The problem is almost all the fawns are just at the point where their spots are fading with markings still on their hams. Another problem is all the deer look starved with their ribs showing pretty badly.

I know the two TPWD biologists I have personally spoken to say to shoot does early but what does that do to the fawns chances of survival. I don't recall seeing this many fawns this "spotty" this late. I am most likely going to try to shoot the yearling does as they look a little healthier than either the momma does or the fawns.

Is this the right move? or should I shoot the older does with the fawns and hope the fawns can make it?

MDGC0008.JPG

In Marion county, I have been watching does with fawns for a couple of months now. The problem is almost all the fawns are just at the point where their spots are fading with markings still on their hams. Another problem is all the deer look starved with their ribs showing pretty badly.

I know the two TPWD biologists I have personally spoken to say to shoot does early but what does that do to the fawns chances of survival. I don't recall seeing this many fawns this "spotty" this late. I am most likely going to try to shoot the yearling does as they look a little healthier than either the momma does or the fawns.

Is this the right move? or should I shoot the older does with the fawns and hope the fawns can make it?

MDGC0008.JPG

I would take the yearlings. 1) because they have more meat on their bones and 2) so that the fawns have a better chance of survival

post-29-0-23258900-1319235893_thumb.jpg

Those fawns you are seeing may not have been dropped until July or August. We had some fawns last year on opening day of rifle season who still had bright spots and we had a good acorn crop last year. If you are feeding straight corn, IMO you are not helping them and you might consider feeding a protein supplement from a gravity feeder. I have been since January and my herd is in great shape. I'm just north of you in an adjoining county.

Here are two pics of twins born this year to a doe. First pic was on June 30 and covered in spots. Second pic was made Oct 15 and no spots. As you can see, they are very healthy.

Good luck to you and safe hunting.