East Texas football has gotten spoiled with State Championships

vonerick

Yes I know championship has been plentyful around these part in the last several years. But we are starting to talk down on schools because their team didnt go all the way or they couldnt win back to back. Back in the 80's and 90' the Championship fairy would sprinkle a State Champ here and there, but nothing like it is now!

We need to stop being so spoiled by acting like its expected that your team win a State Championship every year and realize that its an honor to make it that far not everybody gets the privilege to experience that!

Yes I know championship has been plentyful around these part in the last several years. But we are starting to talk down on schools because their team didnt go all the way or they couldnt win back to back. Back in the 80's and 90' the Championship fairy would sprinkle a State Champ here and there, but nothing like it is now!

We need to stop being so spoiled by acting like its expected that your team win a State Championship every year and realize that its an honor to make it that far not everybody gets the privilege to experience that!

I agree. We make 16,17, and 18 year old kids feel like they are Gods. Then if they lose, they are treated like they have let the town down, as if they were getting paid NFL wages. Some coaches around East Texas have more pressure on them than College coaches to win at all costs. Because if they do not bring home the ring, then they better have their bags packed. There are not many coaches left that have not been in some scandel or another. If you can find a coach that has high morals, loves the kids, and can win, then you better hold on to him. Even when he does not bring the Championship home every year.

The Beckville Bearcats are 2-7. Does any one no if they did win the State titel would they be the first two not hav a winnin record till the last game. Cause there record would be 8-7.

Actually Doomer, I think Chapel Hill did one year and Union Hill did one year( I'm not sure they that they had that bad of record) but they did win stae with subpar records. Check archives.

......EACH TEAM HAS EARNED THEM.....THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENJOY AND BE SPOILED

No s....####!!!!

No need to feel "guilty" that your school brought the hardware home. Just like Lake Travis......you win it until somebody can stop you.

Actually Doomer, I think Chapel Hill did one year and Union Hill did one year( I'm not sure they that they had that bad of record) but they did win stae with subpar records. Check archives.

I think CH was 6-4 going into the playoffs in '89 when we won state

The rise in state championships is due to the fact that the UIL has doubled the amount of state championship games that are played each year.

Good point here!

You dont win THE state championship in your classification, the win A state championship from your classification. Now it's still a great accomplishment, but there are twice as many to give out as there used to be.

U can only win what they offer

I wasn't knocking the accomplishment of winning state. Just acknowledging the fact that since twice as many are offered now, it becomes more common place than it was when East Texas wasn't as "spoiled" with them as the topic stated.

Henderson and Carthage last year is a perfect example. That wasn't possible back in the old days and East Texas would have had only 1 3A state champ to boast about.

I wasn't knocking the accomplishment of winning state. Just acknowledging the fact that since twice as many are offered now, it becomes more common place than it was when East Texas wasn't as "spoiled" with them as the topic stated.

Henderson and Carthage last year is a perfect example. That wasn't possible back in the old days and East Texas would have had only 1 3A state champ to boast about.

Its not the old days anymore. Besides it makes it more fun for everyone especially the kids. Its a win win

Good point here!

You dont win THE state championship in your classification, the win A state championship from your classification. Now it's still a great accomplishment, but there are twice as many to give out as there used to be.

Yea and what about on the 3a level where they take 3 teams from each district 1 big school and 2 small schools. Crazy when the 2 small schools have more kids than the "Big School" from another district. Not knocking Henderson but they were a good ball club in 4a then dropped to 3a and became a State Champion. What will be interesting is that next year you could have a 3a district with Henderson, Carthage, Tatum and even Kilgore if the numbers play out right. Even crazier is all these teams have won state titles within the last 7-8 years.

Kilgore 2004

Henderson 2010

Carthage 08,09,10

Tatum 05,06

You play the schedule put before you.

Who cares if they have more...people are always complaining about the numbers spread, so when the UIL does something about it, then it's too many championships....I don't think too many people are dogging their high schoolers for not winning it all every year. Very few schools are that spoiled...especially in east Texas...

The kids wanna win, the coaches wanna win....when you get lucky enough to have the talent and drive to win, you should be proud!

You play the schedule put before you.

Who cares if they have more...people are always complaining about the numbers spread, so when the UIL does something about it, then it's too many championships....I don't think too many people are dogging their high schoolers for not winning it all every year. Very few schools are that spoiled...especially in east Texas...

The kids wanna win, the coaches wanna win....when you get lucky enough to have the talent and drive to win, you should be proud!

+1

I dount under stand wat golf ^ and the litle fish they put own ^ pizza has two du with Beckvilles record. I du think the Bearcats have a gud chanc tho they ar a sleepor . Yu no a dark hoarse. People wil overluk them.

There are twIce as many titles handed out, but there are twice as many schools. You still have to win 5 or 6 playoff games. It's not any easier in my opinion. Plus it doesn't explain why East Texas has done so well. Every geographic region operates under the same system. East Texas has been blessed to win more than their fair share.