Rusk vs Lorena

brokenballer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who Will be going to round 3 in your opinion? My vote is going to RUSK! Let's go Eagles!

If rusk can get a few 3 and outs early and establish a dominating rush attack, they will control the clock and the game. Rusk is not built to play catch-up though. I hope there are still 3 teams from 17 in the mix next week at this time.

Lorena runs the Oregon style spread offense. They utilize a 3-quarterback system in Simpson (sr), Costalaja (sr), and Coleman (soph). Simpson has started at qb since his soph year, but has struggled with injuries. Costalaja lead Lorena last year to a district championship in a tough district including La Vega, China Spring, and Robinson, and a playoff win against Mexia. Simpson has passed for right at 1000 yards. Costalaja is an excellent receiver and passer, while Coleman was called up from the JV in week 9, after a concussion to Simpson, after rushing for 1250 yds and passing for 800 in 8 games, at 6’0” and 205 lbs. The line is sr heavy with decent size.

Defensively, they are lead by linebackers Coker and Mottley, with Coker leading all central tx 2A-3A tacklers with 153 tackles. Mottley comes in ranked 6th with 119 tackles. The middle is anchored by Trevor Beard (soph) at nose, who has started the past 2 years.

They played La Vega to a 7-point game and Robinson to a 1-point game, the night of the Simpson injury.

Now tell me about Rusk.

Lorena runs the Oregon style spread offense. They utilize a 3-quarterback system in Simpson (sr), Costalaja (sr), and Coleman (soph). Simpson has started at qb since his soph year, but has struggled with injuries. Costalaja lead Lorena last year to a district championship in a tough district including La Vega, China Spring, and Robinson, and a playoff win against Mexia. Simpson has passed for right at 1000 yards. Costalaja is an excellent receiver and passer, while Coleman was called up from the JV in week 9, after a concussion to Simpson, after rushing for 1250 yds and passing for 800 in 8 games, at 6’0” and 205 lbs. The line is sr heavy with decent size.

Defensively, they are lead by linebackers Coker and Mottley, with Coker leading all central tx 2A-3A tacklers with 153 tackles. Mottley comes in ranked 6th with 119 tackles. The middle is anchored by Trevor Beard (soph) at nose, who has started the past 2 years.

They played La Vega to a 7-point game and Robinson to a 1-point game, the night of the Simpson injury.

Now tell me about Rusk.

Rusk runs the veer, much like the offense of Georgia Tech. Have a Junior QB #7 Kody Stanley, about 6' 155, and a Sophomore (I think) in #8 Zack Sturns, about the same size, that they swap out through the game. Both of them are about the same type of player for the most part. Nothing too spectacular, although both good athletes. Rusk has multiple RB's but the main 2 to worry about is JR #5 Chaston Bennett, about 5'8-9 155, and SR #2 DJ McDuff, about 6' 165-170 . Bennet made his first Varsity appearance his freshman year in the last game where he showed off his burners and scored a TD or 2. He's got serious speed and also plays DB and had a pick against Kirbyville last week. McDuff is about the same caliber player, maybe not quite as fast but has a little more size than Bennett. He also plays DB.

The O-Line led by SR #55 Luke Campbell, about 6'6 280, is pretty decent sized and can get to the second level of the defense pretty quickly.

The defense doesn't have a standout leader in my opinion, although they all play together and are best at stopping the run from what I've seen. Although they had a good pass defense against Kville last week and had 2-3 picks. 6 turnovers overall.

Rusk's record may look bad, but they've lost 5 games by 4 points or less. Center 33-30, Crockett 32-29, Fairfield 21-17, Westwood 31-28, Bullard 30-27. 4 of those teams which made the playoffs and Crockett may be going for a state title in 2A.

The biggest weakness for Rusk would have to be turnovers, but when they can limit them they are a good football team. Another weakness would probably be playing catch-up. They aren't goin to air it out and rely heavily on the run and getting ahead of their opponent early. I'm no coach by any means, but this is just what I can see from the stands. Sorry for any false info, just going strictly off memory, but it's pretty spot on from what I know.

Rusk runs the veer, much like the offense of Georgia Tech. Have a Junior QB #7 Kody Stanley, about 6' 155, and a Sophomore (I think) in #8 Zack Sturns, about the same size, that they swap out through the game. Both of them are about the same type of player for the most part. Nothing too spectacular, although both good athletes. Rusk has multiple RB's but the main 2 to worry about is JR #5 Chaston Bennett, about 5'8-9 155, and SR #2 DJ McDuff, about 6' 165-170 . Bennet made his first Varsity appearance his freshman year in the last game where he showed off his burners and scored a TD or 2. He's got serious speed and also plays DB and had a pick against Kirbyville last week. McDuff is about the same caliber player, maybe not quite as fast but has a little more size than Bennett. He also plays DB.

The O-Line led by SR #55 Luke Campbell, about 6'6 280, is pretty decent sized and can get to the second level of the defense pretty quickly.

The defense doesn't have a standout leader in my opinion, although they all play together and are best at stopping the run from what I've seen. Although they had a good pass defense against Kville last week and had 2-3 picks. 6 turnovers overall.

Rusk's record may look bad, but they've lost 5 games by 4 points or less. Center 33-30, Crockett 32-29, Fairfield 21-17, Westwood 31-28, Bullard 30-27. 4 of those teams which made the playoffs and Crockett may be going for a state title in 2A.

The biggest weakness for Rusk would have to be turnovers, but when they can limit them they are a good football team. Another weakness would probably be playing catch-up. They aren't goin to air it out and rely heavily on the run and getting ahead of their opponent early. I'm no coach by any means, but this is just what I can see from the stands. Sorry for any false info, just going strictly off memory, but it's pretty spot on from what I know.

He really is pretty accurate with this account. They were a VERY tough team for us to beat (Bullard). Can you give me any insight on Robinson? I think Bullard has surprised one or two teams this year

Would love to see the Eagles pull it out but just don't see it happening. In fact this one could get ugly if Rusk turns the ball over like they have in the past. Either way Lorena wins by at least 14.

I BELIEVE THAT RUSK CAN HANDLE IT ALTHOUGH LORENA HAS EXPIERENCE IN PLAYOFFS THEY WILL LOSE AGAIN JUST LIKE LAST YEAR AGAINST ATHENS IN THIS SAME ROUND!!!

Robinson Rockets -

Robinson is a pass heavy team, lead by QB Carson Earp

QB Carson Earp Completions 244 of 436 attempts for 3206 yds 7 ints and 33 tds

Alex Rogers 57 receptions for 967 yds and 15 tds

Zac Law 55 " 668 " 7

Rushing

Stephen Mitchell 144 rushes for 701 and 7 tds

Their defense is secceptable to the run. My son rushed for 125 yards and passed for 80 yds against them in 3/4 of a game (came in after sr QB went down). We were inside their 20 2 times without scoring before we figured out our red-zone offense.

They have a large defensive tackle #55 who is 6'3" that we had difficulty double teaming.