To all Aggies and horn fans...

WETSU

There's the flaw in your arguement. Not all "T-shirt" fans change alliegences. I'd bet most of the Texas fans on this forum were exactly that long before they became members of this site. I'm thinking I was a Texas fan long before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye.

Exactly some of these "t-shirt" fans are more loyal than people who attend the schools.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You better go and research the comment that A&M wanted no part. Initially A&M declined the offer made by Texas to be a part of a common network. From what I have gleaned, it was two fold. One A&M did not like the revenue split. Secondly, A&M felt it was not feasible.

Later A&M reconsidered the feasibility and Texas declined as they were too far along with ESPN.

that IS a true statement

Exactly some of these "t-shirt" fans are more loyal than people who attend the schools.

I was a UT "t-shirt" fan long before I my years at the 40 acres. There are some crazy t-shirt fans out there from every school though. Just got back from watching the first half of a playoff game, and I saw plenty of UT shirts worn by a few people that couldn't spell UT. I also saw A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU and one guy even walked in wearng a South Carolina Gamecock sweatshirt. There's only more Texas t-shirt fans around here right now because Texas has won more recently. I remember back in the mid to late 80s and early 90s when just about everybody was wearing A&M, and you couldn't find UT clothes anywhere outside of the Sportster in Tyler. At least that's what I thing the store was called. Big sporting good store in the shopping mall across from the mall. China King is there now.

Agree to disagree. We are both the same. We try to be logical and respectful in our arguments and use fact and reason, but at the end of the day the writing on the wall is clear. You think tamu crying like a baby and taking their ball and going home. I think Texas is acting highly hypocritical and have virtually positioned themselves to where they are by equals anymore.

You can say that tamu was offered a piece of the deal, but why would they turn it down if they were offered a reasonable share. It's not logical. There is more to it than Texas being SOoOoO generous they offered to share with little brother. We don't know the details and never will. But just like you do not think tamu can be mad for Texas doing what they have done, you cannot blame or get mad at tamu for their actions. They both did what they thought was right. No reason for anyone to be bitter or mad. It happened, now let's either play the game like always, or say goodbye to maybe the largest state single state rivalry in the country.

For the record though... Why would the other teams get networks seeing how much of a failure the LHN is. It's not logical. If Texas can't pull it off, nobody can.

Let me say that I'm not a fan of the LHN - mostly because I can't watch it. But if you go back to when the BIG XII was looking at adding schools, I was talking about Texas using the LHN as a tool to recruit schools to the BIG XII and change it to a regional or conference network. I don't like Dodds; he's nothing but arrogance, and it's easy to be that way when he has all that money behind him because in today's college football money=power. I don't completely think A&M is crying and taking there ball home so to speak. I wish they had someone to step up to Dodds and Dan Beebe. As much as I think UT's true rivalry is with OU, the game last night against the Aggies meant much more to me this year. And that's partly because A&M is leaving the conference, and partly because Texas needed to win so the Aggies couln't use a victory over UT as a recruiting device along with the SEC. I don't blame Texas for not wanting to play A&M for now, but I hope the powers to be can get this game back on the schedule.

As for the other teams getting networks, look for them to team up with smaller stations like Florida and the Sunshine Network. Only look for them to act alone or team up with another team/teams in the state. For example an Alabama/Auburn Network would work very much like a UT/A&M Network. I'd dang sure watch some Aggie baseball. I'm not just making this stuff up. You can research and find that some of the schools are talking about it publicly.

Ahh the T-Shirt fan talk....I became a fan of UT while watching them lose to Georgia 10-9 and lose a chance at a national title...I was 9 at the time..before then I just watched whatever team was on and was just really learning to love football...From that day I was a UT fan for life.

I wish I could have went to UT would have been great. I was not able to because at the time I was not focused enough on school..I went back to college later in life and am proud of my degree from the school formely known as East Texas State...I hate the name of it now( wish I could have my degree changed to say East Texas State)..I dont hate it because it has A&M..I just wish it was East Texas A&M like West Texas A&M did. Sounds better...anway...

I have friends who were huge longhorn fans until they went to A&M..went 4 years go a degree and now it is all horns down, TU this, TU that...I have no problem that they support the school they went to, but to act like they were life long Aggies to me is more hypocritical and less loyal than me being a fan of the same school for getting close to 30 years. I have went to football games, basketball and baseball games. So I will take my years of living and dying with my team over someone who was not a fan until they went to school at a place for 4 years..because in 20 years they will have been a fan for 24 years..me...close to 50

I know it was an analogy. It was just a very, very bad one. Maybe you'll realize that some day. Actually, I doubt it. You're Baylor for a reason. And you'll always be Baylor. Never not Baylor. Your manly coach saying that was stupid then, and you saying it now is stupid. What's funny about that is that nobody in their right mind would have sex with Skeletor.

Yes and your a Lobo? So high school was your glory years. I have no problem with being Baylor. Baylor is ranked 18 in BCS, top ten in men's BB, and no. 1 in women's BB. Where does your school (the one you actually attended) fall in those rankings?

By the way, you might notice that you and Typer are the only ones questioning the analogy, so look in the mirror for lack of understanding. WETSU, who demonstrates far greater intelligence and reason than you can understand, had no problem with it.

I'm Baylor because I chose the school. I had several classmates that got turned down by Baylor (mid-80s) and went to A&M, UT and Tech. Baylor would not accept them based on grades and test scores. Getting into any of those was not a challenge back then. A&M was the equivalent of Tech now, and UT was basically a party school.

Regarding your other drivel (manly coach? sex with Skeletor?), what are you talking about?

Lobos 2004, revel in your high school glory days - I guess that's all you have.

Yes and your a Lobo? So high school was your glory years. I have no problem with being Baylor. Baylor is ranked 18 in BCS, top ten in men's BB, and no. 1 in women's BB. Where does your school (the one you actually attended) fall in those rankings?

By the way, you might notice that you and Typer are the only ones questioning the analogy, so look in the mirror for lack of understanding. WETSU, who demonstrates far greater intelligence and reason than you can understand, had no problem with it.

I'm Baylor because I chose the school. I had several classmates that got turned down by Baylor (mid-80s) and went to A&M, UT and Tech. Baylor would not accept them based on grades and test scores. Getting into any of those was not a challenge back then. A&M was the equivalent of Tech now, and UT was basically a party school.

Regarding your other drivel (manly coach? sex with Skeletor?), what are you talking about?

Lobos 2004, revel in your high school glory days - I guess that's all you have.

While I did play for the 12-1 2004 Lobo team which has 3 guys in the NFL now, I liked my college years better working for the A&M athletic department and getting my degree from A&M, a Top 100 school, unlike Baylor. A&M is ranked #5 in WBB (and defending national champions...), not in football, and something in MBB. We also defeated Baylor on the way to our national title and humiliated Baylor 55-28 earlier this year in football. Oh, and we're ranked Top 5 in track, coming off 3 straight national titles in men's AND women's track. Oh, and baseball, we're ranked pretty high too. Coming off a trip to the College World Series and Big XII regular season AND postseason championships. :) Oh, and another fun fact: We're ranked Top 100 in Academics, the thing that's important to our actual lives. Where's Baylor ranked?

And WETSU got it. I got it too. I just think it's a very bad analogy. When you compare marriage (a one-to-one relationship) to an athletic conference (a many-to-many relationship), it's thrown way off. And didn't Baylor get on their knees and beg and plead A&M not to go? Didn't K* say that he wanted the A&M game because it helped the Waco economy? Sounds like Baylor needed that game a LOT more than A&M did. A&M never asked Baylor to play again; only challenged Texas to play any time, anywhere.

That was back then. Now, Baylor is a joke academic school not ranked in the top 100. A&M is. Hence, why I chose A&M over Baylor who sent me dozens of letters offering me tons of money to attend.

Skeletor/manly coach = Mulkey. She is the one who made the comparison of playing in an athletic conference to being married, and playing games to having sex. It was a stupid, bad analogy then, and it is now. Yeah. My high school days were great. College was even better...

While I did play for the 12-1 2004 Lobo team which has 3 guys in the NFL now, I liked my college years better working for the A&M athletic department and getting my degree from A&M, a Top 100 school, unlike Baylor. A&M is ranked #5 in WBB (and defending national champions...), not in football, and something in MBB. We also defeated Baylor on the way to our national title and humiliated Baylor 55-28 earlier this year in football. Oh, and we're ranked Top 5 in track, coming off 3 straight national titles in men's AND women's track. Oh, and baseball, we're ranked pretty high too. Coming off a trip to the College World Series and Big XII regular season AND postseason championships. :) Oh, and another fun fact: We're ranked Top 100 in Academics, the thing that's important to our actual lives. Where's Baylor ranked?

And WETSU got it. I got it too. I just think it's a very bad analogy. When you compare marriage (a one-to-one relationship) to an athletic conference (a many-to-many relationship), it's thrown way off. And didn't Baylor get on their knees and beg and plead A&M not to go? Didn't K* say that he wanted the A&M game because it helped the Waco economy? Sounds like Baylor needed that game a LOT more than A&M did. A&M never asked Baylor to play again; only challenged Texas to play any time, anywhere.

That was back then. Now, Baylor is a joke academic school not ranked in the top 100. A&M is. Hence, why I chose A&M over Baylor who sent me dozens of letters offering me tons of money to attend.

Skeletor/manly coach = Mulkey. She is the one who made the comparison of playing in an athletic conference to being married, and playing games to having sex. It was a stupid, bad analogy then, and it is now. Yeah. My high school days were great. College was even better...

Last time I checked, US News had Baylor at 75 - not great but a mere 17 points behind A&M. Your source (or did your amazing athletic department education forget to teach you Google and other basic research skills) is? Considering A&M is on the tax teat of the richest state in the country, it's no surprise that A&M has passed Baylor. From what I've experienced in the professional world over the last 20 years, Baylor is highly respected across the country in academics. Yeah, I've gotten some ribbing over the football and men's basketball programs, but that has changed these last couple of years. Fact is, when you get outside of small towns, professionals understand Baylor's quality. You may not get it wherever you are (coaching?) but there's a much bigger world out there.

A&M won this year and deserved it. If Baylor loses its next 2 games, it will have the same conference record as A&M who came into the season ranked. This was supposed to be A&M's year according to so many of you but, once again, it didn't happen. A&M has had top twenty recruiting classes for years, no? Baylor, not so much yet still ranked higher than A&M in football.

Oh, and again, please show me your source for academic rankings. Somehow your source and USNWR don't quite match up (perhaps you see the trend here).

While you are frantically searching for support for your "not top 100" comment (and still failing), I thought I would post a link to the College Board site showing average SAT/ACT scores for this years freshman class at A&M and Baylor. Here's A&M:

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/academictracker/servlet/ACTServlet?pg=2&collegeId=397

And here's Baylor's:

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/academictracker/servlet/ACTServlet?pg=2&collegeId=2734

You'll note that they are virtually identical. For being such a superior school, you would think that A&M would draw superior students. But, instead, the 2 schools are basically tied. I guess A&M has finally caught up. And in my world (ie outside of small town east Texas), we look at individual performance and not school affiliation (or whether someone played on the same team as some professional players - please tell me that's not on your resume though, again, I wouldn't be surprised).

Now, again, your source? (Texags doesn't count, btw)

Last time I checked, US News had Baylor at 75 - not great but a mere 17 points behind A&M. Your source (or did your amazing athletic department education forget to teach you Google and other basic research skills) is? Considering A&M is on the tax teat of the richest state in the country, it's no surprise that A&M has passed Baylor. From what I've experienced in the professional world over the last 20 years, Baylor is highly respected across the country in academics. Yeah, I've gotten some ribbing over the football and men's basketball programs, but that has changed these last couple of years. Fact is, when you get outside of small towns, professionals understand Baylor's quality. You may not get it wherever you are (coaching?) but there's a much bigger world out there.

A&M won this year and deserved it. If Baylor loses its next 2 games, it will have the same conference record as A&M who came into the season ranked. This was supposed to be A&M's year according to so many of you but, once again, it didn't happen. A&M has had top twenty recruiting classes for years, no? Baylor, not so much yet still ranked higher than A&M in football.

Oh, and again, please show me your source for academic rankings. Somehow your source and USNWR don't quite match up (perhaps you see the trend here).

Of course you got the US News one correct:

Texas A&M #58 -My link

Baylor #75- My link

Top 400 World's Best University:

Texas A&M #158- My link

Baylor - Get the search party out

Ulinks.com Top Universities:

Texas A&M #88 - My link

Baylor- WHO????

Happy School Blogs:

Texas A&M - No where to be found

Baylor #56 - My link

4icu.org Best 2011 Universities:

Texas A&M #34- My link

Baylor- ...... lol

I truly am glad you enjoyed your time at A&M sir but you have to remember not every university is for everyone. Not everyone went to such a big highschool like longview(btw tell my boy malcom I said whats up) I liked Baylor because it was not a huge university at all. That's why I hope to continue my graduate studies back in waco. A&M and UT were simply too big for a small town guy like myself. Baylor just felt like home but it isn't for everyone and I understand that. Call it a joke say what you will but Baylor will always be my school and the Bears and Lady Bears will always be number one to me.

I truly am glad you enjoyed your time at A&M sir but you have to remember not every university is for everyone. Not everyone went to such a big highschool like longview(btw tell my boy malcom I said whats up) I liked Baylor because it was not a huge university at all. That's why I hope to continue my graduate studies back in waco. A&M and UT were simply too big for a small town guy like myself. Baylor just felt like home but it isn't for everyone and I understand that. Call it a joke say what you will but Baylor will always be my school and the Bears and Lady Bears will always be number one to me.

Good post. I have never been one to knock anyone who graduates from ANY college or university. Baylor is more than fine dude. Like you said each person has is own preferences.

I'm all for the bashing, but I'm a little disappointed in some of you guys on here. If we are to a point where we are knocking someone's hard earned college education, then we are taking this way too seriously. Let's leave education out of this. Those who are fortunate enough to receive one from any university should be able to appreciate the opportunity and be humble in the life success. Many don't get that chance for various reasons.

Good post. I have never been one to knock anyone who graduates from ANY college or university. Baylor is more than fine dude. Like you said each person has is own preferences.

I'm all for the bashing, but I'm a little disappointed in some of you guys on here. If we are to a point where we are knocking someone's hard earned college education, then we are taking this way too seriously. Let's leave education out of this. Those who are fortunate enough to receive one from any university should be able to appreciate the opportunity and be humble in the life success. Many don't get that chance for various reasons.

I couldn't agree more and would just like to add that those of us who didn't get the chance to go to college shouldn't be sneered at for supporting a school or having a favorite team.

Of course you got the US News one correct:

Texas A&M #58 -My link

Baylor #75- My link

Top 400 World's Best University:

Texas A&M #158- My link

Baylor - Get the search party out

Ulinks.com Top Universities:

Texas A&M #88 - My link

Baylor- WHO????

Happy School Blogs:

Texas A&M - No where to be found

Baylor #56 - My link

4icu.org Best 2011 Universities:

Texas A&M #34- My link

Baylor- ...... lol

Your statement: "Baylor is a joke academic school not ranked in the top 100. A&M is."

Your support for your statement:

1. USNWR National Rankings - even you cite a source showing Baylor as a top 100 school
  2. USNWR World Rankings - A&M not a top 100 school (so, again, you've failed to support your position)
  3. "Ulink" - has at least one medical school, includes international schools, and most damning, has Rice at 87 with A&M at 88 (so toss this one)
  4. "Happy School" - didn't look since it didn't support your A&M = top 100 comment, not that any of the above do
  5. "4icu" - has A&M ranked above Duke, Rice, and Northwestern U. among others. Real credible source there. What can I say? You really #### at this and probably should give up.

And, again, it looks like the academic profile of the students per the College Board cite are identical. USNWR rewards facilities and research. Those things cost money. Take away the Texas taxpayer funds (current and historical) and let's see where A&M falls. On the other hand, Baylor doesn't have to follow government mandated policies such as recognizing Gay student groups. A&M does.

So, we're still waiting for a reliable source that shows A&M as a top 100 school and Baylor falling outside of the top 100.

Agreed. I'll respond to those who attack Baylor (and then can't support their position - see immediately above) or to those who go crude and juvenile (see Typer) but I don't see any sense in bashing any particular school. I've worked around enough professionals who chose to or had to attend "no name local colleges" that could perform as well as Ivy Leaguers to see that the undergraduate program is not a guaranteed indicator of ability.

I couldn't agree more and would just like to add that those of us who didn't get the chance to go to college shouldn't be sneered at for supporting a school or having a favorite team.

Again, agree. My parents were fortunate to be able to attend college by supporting themselves all the way through. My grandparents and several aunts and uncles did not/could not go and yet worked hard and took care of their families and others. I've recently lost 2 uncles that never attended college (one never owned a credit card) and who left probably over 20 sections of good cattle country to their kids. The value of that land is in the millions. My folks, with more education, moved to the big city and only ended up with a couple of sections of land - not that I'm complaining, but they're not as wealthy if you measure wealth and success by what you own.

Agreed. I'll respond to those who attack Baylor (and then can't support their position - see immediately above) or to those who go crude and juvenile (see Typer) but I don't see any sense in bashing any particular school. I've worked around enough professionals who chose to or had to attend "no name local colleges" that could perform as well as Ivy Leaguers to see that the undergraduate program is not a guaranteed indicator of ability.

Some of Typer's posts are so outrageous they have to be considered tongue-in-cheek.

I'm suprised anyone reads his posts....I don't. Same stupid @#$t every time.

I emulate you. Seriously, YOU, are the poster child for me.

A lot of what I post are quotes from fellow THE University of Texas fans and/or players, coaches, ADs....

So whatever you think of me, that is how a lot of the world sees you...