Mack Brown Forced Out?

unclejohn

Not true... David McWilliams and John Mackovic did not, and Mack Brown did not when he first arrived. His campaign of "Come early, be loud, stay late and wear orange" was highly successful. People bought in - literally. I don't have exact numbers in front of me, but I believe UT profitted around $75 million the year they lost the NC to Alabama. That was more than double of the 2nd most profitble program at the time, and I don't think that number included private donations. There's a reason Brown is referred to as a snake oil salesman. He can talk with the best of them. He is the ONLY FBS head football coach that I have seen walking around the Texas High School Coaches' Association in jeans talking with whomever would like to speak with him. It doesn't matter if it is a first year 7th grade football coach. You will see other FBS coaches, but they don't usually walk the floors and they will be dressed in casual business or full on suit.

Mack was the "Bubba" with brains that texas wanted. It worked.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should really check your facts on this. You couldn't be more wrong.

This was just my opinion, and it's largely based on the fact that Dodds has alienated UT athletics to the position we are in right now. Our conference is a time bomb waiting to explode, and we had to go to the the East Coast to pick up a member (West Virginia).

I guess I just don't care too much for him because he seems like an arrogant, pompous SOB. I'd rather have a person like Mack Brown at the AD position.

Mack Brown

Rick Barnes

Augie Garrido

Eddie Reese

I give Dodds credit for bringing in Mack Brown. The others were brought in because that is what the big money donors wanted, and those guys get paid accordingly. It's not that hard bringing in the best when you have the resources to support it. Dodds has been at UT for a long time. I think it's time for a new look.

I believe UT profitted around $75 million the year they lost the NC to Alabama. That was more than double of the 2nd most profitble program at the time, and I don't think that number included private donations.

Guess it's all in what's important to you.

Kick back and read that financial statement -

And ignore another embarassing Longhorn season with Mack Brown.

Guess it's all in what's important to you.

Kick back and read that financial statement -

And ignore another embarassing Longhorn season with Mack Brown.

The financial statement is not what is important to me. I was just pointing out the fallicy in your previous post. I do think that UT has set a precedent when it comes time to hire their next head football coach. My wish:

Dodds - retire

Brown - AD

Peterson - Head Football Coach

The financial statement is not what is important to me. I was just pointing out the fallicy in your previous post. I do think that UT has set a precedent when it comes time to hire their next head football coach. My wish:

Dodds - retire

Brown - AD

I could live with that....I'm just not sure Dodds is causing any problems. He has turned UT into an financial juggernaut and that has produced results in athletics and will continue to. And, I like the fact that he didn't back down from all the crybabies(mostly aggys) concerning the LHN. Whether it succeeds or fails is not the point. The point is that UT shouldn't have to share jack@!# with anyone else. This is a free market country last time I checked.

My wish:

Dodds - retire

Brown - AD

The world is full of losing coaches who got kicked upstairs into a cushy administrative job.

Let's let Mack Brown just take his millions of dollars in severance pay and go home.

It's time.

Rick Barnes should be let go for a better coach IMO. Rick does less with more than any basketball coach in the country.

An exit strategy for Mack is being discussed and many think 2012 will be Mack's last year.

My Mack Brown exit strategy:

Take the money from UT, leave.

Go to A&M, make them over pay, coach 2 years, retire.

Heard the rumor today, and that's all it is, that Mack Brown will become the AD and Nick Saban will be the next Head Football Coach at Texas.

Some of this stuff is too good to be made up!

....does that mean that LSU will kick the cowpoop out of Alabama in the BCS Title Game because Saban is not in control of his house..... thinking about the Texas gig?

Heard the rumor today, and that's all it is, that Mack Brown will become the AD and Nick Saban will be the next Head Football Coach at Texas.

Some of this stuff is too good to be made up!

I know you're just playing, but God I hope not. Something about Saban just bothers me....he's definitely a shady character. I'm fine with Mack Brown. Besides, I think Chris Peterson is going to be the next coach at THE University of Texas.

UNCLEJOHN Mack could have fixed the QB problem a few years back had he recruited RG III as a QB but he wanted to move him to wide receiver...Mack won 5 games last yr. and made 5 Million=a Mill a game....this year won 7 with his 5 Million.....10 wins and 12 Million...Texas has not got the guts to "fire " him.........

A great CEO but as a head coach...Dobbs must know he knows something on him....just think RGIII nearly was a receiver this year for Texas but no one could have get the ball to him,,,he did him a favor in the end.........

Great recruiter they say Mack is.....this story does not say so....Anyone could recruit at Texas ..........

One of the things I have read on these thread is Brown is a well paid "Bubba". I think Brown will make a great AD. He is honest. He is trustworthy. He is a people person. He has a great mind & memory. He is a salesman. He is loyal (to a fault at times).

If Brown is made AD, it will not be to move him out of the football program. Instead it will be with the intent to improve & grow UT athletics.

UNCLEJOHN Mack could have fixed the QB problem a few years back had he recruited RG III as a QB but he wanted to move him to wide receiver...Mack won 5 games last yr. and made 5 Million=a Mill a game....this year won 7 with his 5 Million.....10 wins and 12 Million...Texas has not got the guts to "fire " him.........

A great CEO but as a head coach...Dobbs must know he knows something on him....just think RGIII nearly was a receiver this year for Texas but no one could have get the ball to him,,,he did him a favor in the end.........

Great recruiter they say Mack is.....this story does not say so....Anyone could recruit at Texas ..........

Frogmen, I think most Texas fans would say Brown is a better football CEO than coach. I know where your distain for Mack comes from in the past (Applewhite v Simms). But to say RG III shows he is not a good recruiter, I have to disagree. You try to build a team a project players to fill out a roster. Would RG III be a bad wide receiver? RG wanted to be a QB and Texas did not want him at the position. Why wasn't RG the QB at OU, Tech, A&m, etc....

Frogmen, I think most Texas fans would say Brown is a better football CEO than coach. I know where your distain for Mack comes from in the past (Applewhite v Simms). But to say RG III shows he is not a good recruiter, I have to disagree. You try to build a team a project players to fill out a roster. Would RG III be a bad wide receiver? RG wanted to be a QB and Texas did not want him at the position. Why wasn't RG the QB at OU, Tech, A&m, etc....

I can say from Tech, RG 3 would of most likely played wide reciever. Quite honestly I don't think most recruiters would of given him the chance at QB which shows Art Briles brillance to go against the grain and to be able to further develop that talent to a Heisman winner.

No one offered RGIII as a qb except Baylor..............