Why Average Teams are...Just Average

With the cowboys trailing in the second half and another "scarey" game for jerry jones next week, it looks like they will finish with a record of 8-8. I have decided on a few reasons as to why they are so.....well.....average.

1-poor/inconsistant qb play. All i hear is how great his stats are. I still say wins and losses are a pretty big stat that gets overlooked (ignored by some). He's great one week and makes the dumbest decisions or chokes the next.

2-poor coaching. Their HC is green (or at least makes dumb decisions also). See the thread about icing his own kicker. Ive seen pop warner executed better than that. Also, a DC who doesnt understand how to use risk/reward to his advantage.

3-get the owner a headset or tell him where to go. He is the reason for the downfall of "Americas Team".

With the cowboys trailing in the second half and another "scarey" game for jerry jones next week, it looks like they will finish with a record of 8-8. I have decided on a few reasons as to why they are so.....well.....average.

1-poor/inconsistant qb play. All i hear is how great his stats are. I still say wins and losses are a pretty big stat that gets overlooked (ignored by some). He's great one week and makes the dumbest decisions or chokes the next.

2-poor coaching. Their HC is green (or at least makes dumb decisions also). See the thread about icing his own kicker. Ive seen pop warner executed better than that. Also, a DC who doesnt understand how to use risk/reward to his advantage.

3-get the owner a headset or tell him where to go. He is the reason for the downfall of "Americas Team".

You don't use too many brain cells on your opinions do you? Come up with something original if you want to try to flame arguments.

Poor oline and secondary play is to blame. Teams have won super bowls with worse qbs than romo.

Agree. Romo's plenty good enough. At some point they have to get somebody to start backing him up. I guess the company line is McGee's ok....which means when Romo finally gets killed back there, they will be completely unprepared for the next option.

Add defensive line's inability to get QB pressure to that list. Ware may be among the sack leaders, but the rest of the defense stands straight up and watches the QB almost every play.

#1 - No inconsistent play from Romo. You are still watching the same games with Dave. Time to move on.

#2 - Sure Garrett has made some bad decisions in play calling. All of them do this. That is how they learn and make adjustments. Name one Coach that does not make bad calls or even bad game plans. You can't!

#3 - Jerry Jones owns the team and his place is ANYWHERE he wants to be. He does not try coaching. He roots and encourages his players on the sidelines. Nothing wrong with being down there when he is.

With 3 Super Bowls he is hardly the reason for their downfall. Here again you can review the past seasons and see what has taken place. Of course you would never investigate games.

If you don't want bashed on here then do not comment! You must learn to enjoy getting smacked around on here and state your opinions without whining.

I hope you Cowboy fans ain't "throwin" the towel already. We still have one game for all the marbles.

Haha are you kidding me? No way you give up now! While I feel McGee played well enough today, it would have been nice to seen Romo play. I understand the reasons for him being held out and Felix as well. Even without Felix it should have been a good game with Tony playing. We will miss our running game next week if Felix is slowed by the hamstring.

Our defense really needs a more consistent push up front. Without that our defenders are in deep water. It was also watching the numerous times our running backs got the ball ...... with a defender in his face. You cannot have a running game with this happening. Too many times did I see our linemen reaching to block instead of moving their feet to stay in position. Running plays or passing there is too much penetration for our offense to work efficiently.

JJ went to the sidelines and told JG who to play and who to rest. Dallas will never be more than average until JJ learns that he is to write the checks. Dont hire a man to do a job, then tell him how you want him to do it. Yet another reason why dallas will never get another coach worth a flip, and if they do, it wont last for long.

JJ went to the sidelines and told JG who to play and who to rest. Dallas will never be more than average until JJ learns that he is to write the checks. Dont hire a man to do a job, then tell him how you want him to do it. Yet another reason why dallas will never get another coach worth a flip, and if they do, it wont last for long.

Agreed! Jerry needs to realize that Jimmy put those rings on his fingers.

Hopefully Stephen Jones is a better manager than Jerry.

No Jerry did not do that! At least get some resemblance of facts before you spout off.

#1 - No inconsistent play from Romo. You are still watching the same games with Dave. Time to move on.

#2 - Sure Garrett has made some bad decisions in play calling. All of them do this. That is how they learn and make adjustments. Name one Coach that does not make bad calls or even bad game plans. You can't!

#3 - Jerry Jones owns the team and his place is ANYWHERE he wants to be. He does not try coaching. He roots and encourages his players on the sidelines. Nothing wrong with being down there when he is.

With 3 Super Bowls he is hardly the reason for their downfall. Here again you can review the past seasons and see what has taken place. Of course you would never investigate games.

If you don't want bashed on here then do not comment! You must learn to enjoy getting smacked around on here and state your opinions without whining.

1) I look at the season as a whole, not bits or spurts of greatness. Why does Romo remind me of Scott Mitchell from 1995-1997 ? He went to the playoffs three times, and it looks like Romo is going down the same path. If the Cowboys lose in Giant Land next week, you'll blame it on his hand, ribs, cold, or what not if he doesn't have a stellar game.

2) I called for Jr.'s head after the first blow out to Philly. If he can't come up with a comprehensive game plan to win games, he doesn't need to be coaching the Dallas Cowboys.

3) Jerry should take his plasticized face and join the Crypt Keeper where they belong, off the field. We may have won 3 Super Bowls in the 90's but those memories are fading fast. The last 15 years have proven that Jerry may have made money in the oil field, and he can still make money with the Cowboys, but his days at Arkansas do not make him an expert with NFL football teams. Yeah players love him, but leave him out of the draft room, and put him in the laundry room washing jocks and socks where he initially stated he belongs. If he wants to be on the field make him the dad gum water boy, but leave the decisions to the coaches. He can write all the checks he wants, but he shouldn't even attempt to evaluate talent.

If you want to be the "Rowdy" of SDC, feel free. I'm tired of the Happy Happy Joy Joy, that you attempt to paint, when it's rubbish. We had our tail ends handed to us AGAIN at home, but you act like we've got the greatest players, coaching staff, and ownership in the history of the NFL. The rest of us aren't being pessimistic, we see how things are.

The rest of us aren't being pessimistic, we see how things are.

VERY true. I projected 9-7, many on here said 8-8. Realistic is the word. Everybody has his own opinion, but nobody has been "smacked around" by the rosy Cowboys opinions Space keeps dealing. Nothing like fiction writing to cover up the truth. Could they make the playoffs? It's possible. In the incredibly mediocre NFC East almost anything is possible. The truth continues to be the Cowboys just aren't very good. 1 yr out of 16 is an anomoly, not improvement.

If Jerry the GM is not the reason for their downfall, please explain what you believe the reason is. Do you believe ANY GM in the league would have kept their job with his performance/results the last 15 years?

per Ft Worth Star Telegram

http://www.star-tele...s-garretts.html

Like I said before. These comments did not confirm that Jerry was the one that made any of those decisions. There was just speculations! Just because Galloway says something ..... you have to believe it? He does know the info that Garrett had. Garrett and Jones both dance around questions to the media. That is their job when people try to stir things up. I have no doubt that the decisions made to withhold Felix and Tony and any game plan changes were made mainly by Garrett with input from other Coaches and even Jerry.

1) I look at the season as a whole, not bits or spurts of greatness. Why does Romo remind me of Scott Mitchell from 1995-1997 ? He went to the playoffs three times, and it looks like Romo is going down the same path. If the Cowboys lose in Giant Land next week, you'll blame it on his hand, ribs, cold, or what not if he doesn't have a stellar game.

2) I called for Jr.'s head after the first blow out to Philly. If he can't come up with a comprehensive game plan to win games, he doesn't need to be coaching the Dallas Cowboys.

3) Jerry should take his plasticized face and join the Crypt Keeper where they belong, off the field. We may have won 3 Super Bowls in the 90's but those memories are fading fast. The last 15 years have proven that Jerry may have made money in the oil field, and he can still make money with the Cowboys, but his days at Arkansas do not make him an expert with NFL football teams. Yeah players love him, but leave him out of the draft room, and put him in the laundry room washing jocks and socks where he initially stated he belongs. If he wants to be on the field make him the dad gum water boy, but leave the decisions to the coaches. He can write all the checks he wants, but he shouldn't even attempt to evaluate talent.

If you want to be the "Rowdy" of SDC, feel free. I'm tired of the Happy Happy Joy Joy, that you attempt to paint, when it's rubbish. We had our tail ends handed to us AGAIN at home, but you act like we've got the greatest players, coaching staff, and ownership in the history of the NFL. The rest of us aren't being pessimistic, we see how things are.

Imagine that ... you are still a broke record just like me....! You call for someone's head after almost every game. You must be the professional coach and player since you know it all. I really doubt you look at the seasons as a whole since your comments are not reflected that way. Your focus is so narrow on everything.

The coaches and scouts do the evaluations on the talent. Jerry does give his input on that. The decisions are made as a collective. They do quite well with their picks. Here again no team hits on all choices. Same thing with free-agency. Philly did great with all their pick-ups this past off-season! They should have dominated the league with the players they have now. This is a perfect example of having all the great players and no cohesiveness. I'll say it again.... It takes more than just talent and coaching to win. It also takes more than players that are "just about their own performance".

Dallas does have enough talent and enough good coaches to win.

Jerry and the coaching staff gave up yesterday after Romo got hurt. Jerry needs to pay back all the people who spent money at his stadium yesterday.

I am a life long Cowboy fan, but what I have witnessed these past two seasons makes me ill. They need to blow up this team and let Garrett rebuild it his way. Phillips ruined this teams attitude with his laid back style. And you can still see it this year. Other than Switzer, Phillips was the worst hire Jerry ever made.

I have no doubt that the decisions made to withhold Felix and Tony and any game plan changes were made mainly by Garrett with input from other Coaches and even Jerry.

What do you think Jones left his suite for? To discuss Christmas dinner with Garrett during the 1st qt of a game? The ONLY explanation is that he was telling Jason what he wanted him to do. There is no other explanation....it IS that obvious.

Don't make me out to be a Jerry hater. He's the best owner in the league. But he also may be one of the worst GMs in history. He & Al Davis are on the same level as to wanting to control their team & coach and neither would ever admit they are killing their team's chances.

What do you think Jones left his suite for? To discuss Christmas dinner with Garrett during the 1st qt of a game? The ONLY explanation is that he was telling Jason what he wanted him to do. There is no other explanation....it IS that obvious.

Don't make me out to be a Jerry hater. He's the best owner in the league. But he also may be one of the worst GMs in history. He & Al Davis are on the same level as to wanting to control their team & coach and neither would ever admit they are killing their team's chances.

Exactly what I said. It was obvious in my statement. You people almost always say it is Jerry telling Jason how to do things. When it is more of about discussions and making wise decisions. It is obvious how some fans and media want to twist and read things into everything and make it a bad situation or some kind of rift or undermining of authority. You guys just need to get a grip.

I have no doubt that the decisions made to withhold Felix and Tony and any game plan changes were made mainly by Garrett with input from other Coaches and even Jerry.

that was your statement. If the decision wasn't made before the game then they are all imcompetent. It still doesn't explain Jones leaving his skybox and meeting with the coach during the game while Garrett is doing both head coach & off coordinator duties. It doesn't make sense. Maybe you should get a grip and stop blindly toeing the company line

that was your statement. If the decision wasn't made before the game then they are all imcompetent. It still doesn't explain Jones leaving his skybox and meeting with the coach during the game while Garrett is doing both head coach & off coordinator duties. It doesn't make sense. Maybe you should get a grip and stop blindly toeing the company line

I never once said that the decisions made were all made when Jerry and Jason talked during the game. Scenarios were discussed before the game even started. Nothing wrong with an owner still talking with his coaches about situations. Jerry does not need to explain anything he does with the their meetings.

I never once said that the decisions made were all made when Jerry and Jason talked during the game. Scenarios were discussed before the game even started.

Then I guess Jerry was reminding Garrett about their prior discussions. Can you imagine Kraft coming down in the 1st quarter to talk to Belechick during live action? It's just one of the many distractions with this team. Jerry owns the team. He can do whatever he wants. But whatever he has been doing the last 16 years speaks for itself.

Aikman, Irvin, and Sanders are all fiercely loyal to Jones. They all criticized that. It's not just a fan thing.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/jerry-jones-on-why-he-went-dow.html