Mifi/ portable wifi hotspots

Stoney

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried or have one? Worth the money or just a waste?

I had this discussion with a friend at work yesterday. They live out in the country and had tried Satellite internet but, it just didn't cut the mustard for the price. They seem to be very happy with their mifi. She said if you can get a strong verizon signal on your phone you can have good success.

Who are you getting the service with? What kind of cell phone do you have?

I use my phone for a lot of stuff, and when I want to use my laptop and am not around an internet source I tether my phone to my laptop and use it to access the internet. It's free with an app on my phone.

I use Verizon Mifi. If you have 4G I'm sure that it is great for the PS3. I got a Kindle Fire over the holiday's and the 3G Mifi works just fine for me. The only downfall is that you have to get a data package through Verizon and I don't believe they offer an unlimited data plan, which I don't know how that would affect gaming...

Data packages stink.

Mifi won't be strong enough to play PS3 games online without significant lag, and since you live in east Texas there is no 4g service around which means 3G would be the only option, and I'm not positive how strong it is out in Harmony lol. The signal would be strong enough to download books to your kindle, but running the PS3 is a different story. You could probably surf the web and maybe stream netflix from it (might not be the best picture though).

If you are wanting a strong internet signal, you are probably going to have to get a land based line (ours is from etex and works great). The mifi is much better in the big cities with 4g capabilities.