Waskom High School Starts Soccer

PigSkinRef

No and check back with us in a few months and let us know what kind of kids start transferring to Waskom just so they can play soccer.

Biggest mistake Waskom ever made.

Guess you don't keep up with the news. A lot of 1A-2A schools are adding soccer. We have a school that just won a championship in football that added the sport not long ago.

I don't care for soccer but if they have enough time to do soccer that is fine with me. It has help encourage some of our Hispanic kids to participate in athletics more than they where. Waskom does have a high percentage of Hispanic kids and also I believe there is an encouragement for those kids to play football also. I think it is good all around.

• Like 1

I think they should spread the kids even thinner at small schools. Let them have the opportunity to play as many things as possible. Swimming, gymnastics, diving , wresting, water polo, lacrosse.....That way they can be average at a bunch of things and good at none. I forgot throw in the band OAP and UIL academics. Maybe the UIL will offer a championship ring to the school that spreads thier kids the thinnest.

Do you know why people play soccer? ...

... So they don't have to watch it! LOL

Do you know why people play soccer? ...

Because they are working on their dance moves?

... So they don't have to watch it! LOL

No and check back with us in a few months and let us know what kind of kids start transferring to Waskom just so they can play soccer.

Biggest mistake Waskom ever made.

You ever wonder how many kids may have transferred from Waskom to play soccer.

Every year more schools add soccer. If you have not noted the Hispanic community growing. They like soccer. Soccer is a "base" sport which complements other sports if you are open minded.

Tenaha started the state's 1st 1A soccer program a couple of years ago. Some of the soccer players hepled Tenaha to an undefeated season and the 1A Div II State Football Championship this year. One was an All-District kicker and the other played linebacker and was the District's Defensive MVP.

I'm not a soccer fan (it's kinda like watching paint dry) but Tenaha's soccer program has complimented their football program.

That's encouraging.... We enjoyed following Tenaha's successful year and I'm pulling for the basketball season also. Would love to see them go all the way in basketball also.

Waskom athletics is coming back around... the alumni are hopeful for some future great seasons.

Great recruiting tool as well....if I am not mistaken UIL does not regulate soccer at the lower levels??? More like another way football ( not futbol) coaches work with the kids year round much like powerlifting.

I believe this is correct. Soccer is not currently regulated by UIL at this level.

Waskom has a great community of Hispanic families. They are some of the most concerned parents and hard working kids you'll ever meet. We are glad to have them.