Waskom High School Starts Soccer

PigSkinRef

Tenaha started the state's 1st 1A soccer program a couple of years ago. Some of the soccer players helped Tenaha to an undefeated season and the 1A Div II State Football Championship this year. One was an All-District kicker and the other played linebacker and was the District's Defensive MVP.

I'm not a soccer fan (it's kinda like watching paint dry) but Tenaha's soccer program has complimented their football program.

If you understand the sport its far from paint drying! Go watch a U6 youth game. Has got to be the most entertaining thing you will ever see! My three sons started playing when they were 4 or 5. I thnk one was 3. As a result one ended up playing in college and another was kicking field goals in Rose Stadium before it was over. The sport has been good to my family.

Great recruiting tool as well....if I am not mistaken UIL does not regulate soccer at the lower levels??? More like another way football ( not futbol) coaches work with the kids year round much like powerlifting.

Just like UIL does not regulate Team Tennis below 4A.....

3A Soccer plays up a class and there are a lot of 3A teams in the 4A Alignment. More thn likely, within the next few years UIL will create 3A alignments and 2A and 1A will all play at that level.

No doubt about it, soccer is enjoyed by a majority of the world's population. I have personally seen it played at the highest level around the world (job related customer intertainment). I was in Paris for the '98 World Cup - US vs Germany match. However, I just can't get interested. Football, baseball and softball have been good to my family and that's where my interest lies.

However, I do support soccer at the high school level since there are people in the community who want it.

The world would be a dull place if everyone had the same interests or opinions.

I totally agree!!

That's the problem, I've been out of my ETX bubble and have seen the real world. I'm retired now, but I've worked in over 20 different countries from Europe to the Middle East to Asia to South America, and have been exposed to massive doses of Cricket, Soccer and Rugby. Rugby has it's moments, but Cricket and Soccer fall in the "paint drying" category, especially Cricket. There is nothing comparable to US Football, especially East Texas Football at any level.

I'll respect your opinion then but wish you could enjoy both football and soccer as I do. I could care less about cricket and rugby though. After the nfl,college and hs football I watch soccer so it makes the 8 months go fast. JMO.

• 3 years later...

How has the soccer program done since they started??

And has it helped the football team out?

We have both boys and girls soccer, Waskom made the playoffs last year in soccer but didn't have the extra players you need to compete in the playoffs. Mostly on the boys side the hispanic kids played soccer, not all but mostly and we have a few hispanic kids playing football, this year we had only one hispanic kid that played a lot and that was our kicker. He also played defense some. I think the kicking helped the FB team out, before soccer we always had to go for two...:P but we didn't have to go for two often because we didn't score a whole lot....:)

• Like 1

Who'd a thunk it? A Waskom thread hits Smoaky and it is about soccer! LOL. Seen very little about their basketball team. For me it is football, then football, and then track.

This thread reminded me they put a soccer ball out for us in the 8th grade off season hour. We played one period and had a kid break his leg. He was a move in from Dallas and could actually play. We never played soccer again. Guess we were not ready for it in the 70s.

Who'd a thunk it? A Waskom thread hits Smoaky and it is about soccer! LOL. Seen very little about their basketball team. For me it is football, then football, and then track.

This thread reminded me they put a soccer ball out for us in the 8th grade off season hour. We played one period and had a kid break his leg. He was a move in from Dallas and could actually play. We never played soccer again. Guess we were not ready for it in the 70s.

I've only been to one soccer game and that was the playoff game, It could be the first time I ever went to something an didn't know what the rules were. I did know what a score looked like though.... :P

I believe this is correct. Soccer is not currently regulated by UIL at this level.

Waskom has a great community of Hispanic families. They are some of the most concerned parents and hard working kids you'll ever meet. We are glad to have them.

Check out the UIL web site Waskom will be be playing 4A Division soccer this year

Waskom is not the only 3A team to opp up. They should have included girls too.

2015-16 OFFICIAL UIL SOCCER DISTRICT ALIGNMENT

District 16 Carthage Henderson Kilgore Longview Spring Hill Tatum Waskom (boys Only)

some reason this question came up Does that school in La play soccer too.

How skilled are the kids at the 3A level? East texas 5A looks like a mess to me. I like watching the strategy played out with skilled kids, not the stuff I've seen at the HS level... the 2000 ETBU soccer teams can teach you how to win though. Get the fastest kid in school, kick it past the last defender let him run and go get it...

When I was going to school in the 70's think we were using soccer balls to play dodge ball in he gym!! ;) Glad it's catching on, in time will result in more "hardware" for the trophy case, after all we ARE still talking about "Wildcats" here!! ;)

This is one of those sports that will be next to impossible to make it through the metroplex schools... Most soccer players in DFW play club year-round and even play club coinciding with their high school seasons.

Well most good soccer players play club regardless where they live. Lufkin won state in 5A beating a Austin area team last year. DFW soccer programs are suffering a bit on the boys side because of the growth of soccer academy's with some of the professional teams which makes them ineligible for HS soccer. Schools from the RGV do really well as well. Now on the girls side its another story. The DFW schools dominate on the girl's side. I believe Southlake is the #1 team in the nation.