Doomer

Wat iz you'r opiniun?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Golf iz or iznt a sport

• Golf iz a sport
    • Golf aint no sport
    • Golf is almost a sport but has no pass rush
    • Golf aint even close to a sport

I'll admit that I've only played 3 rounds of golf in my lifetime. Baseball although it does have it's down time burns more calories depending on the position that you play. I've said this before, in the words of Mark Twain "Golf is a good walk spoiled".

Butt if yu luuk at it this way, unlyke pin ball the worst you are in golf the more playin tyme you git. Tru story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

If you're one of the few who believe golf is not a sport, I suggest you go to the Ryder Cup Matches. It might change your mind.

I went an i seen alot of rich folks in Mercedes and Roll's and they was wearin rolex's and they drank brandie n scotch at the club. They wore them pink n peach coloerd shirts an pants. Still cant picture any of em posting up in front of Lebron James or blitzing thru the A-gap against the Atlanta Falcans Offese-line. I say send them out on that Alaska dog-sled race and see if one lives, if they do then: Golfs a sport. Tru storie.

Golf is an activity... much like Darts. It's posted in the Sports pages of the newspapers just because they do not have an Activity Page.

There are arguements both for and again'st but I submit that a sport requires aerobic activity of some such.

My 275 lb Grandfather and his like physical condition friends played every three days or so and in now way shape or form were they athletes!

I don't know if you call golf a sport, but the professionals are becoming more and more athletes in today's game. Used to be the pros would finish their round and then head to the clubhouse for a round of drinks. A lot of beer guts and out of shape guys playing (John Daly).

When Tiger came onto the scene, he showed that golfers can be fine tuned athletes. Now we are seeing more golfers like Rory McIlroy and some of the other young guys more in shape and much more athletic.

I don't know if you call golf a sport, but the professionals are becoming more and more athletes in today's game. Used to be the pros would finish their round and then head to the clubhouse for a round of drinks. A lot of beer guts and out of shape guys playing (John Daly).

When Tiger came onto the scene, he showed that golfers can be fine tuned athletes. Now we are seeing more golfers like Rory McIlroy and some of the other young guys more in shape and much more athletic.

I realize that Tiger and Rory walk the course instead of driving like 99% of golf "athletes", but let me ask you this topher805... Is Fishing a sport? It is also posted in the Sports Page of the newspaper.

I submit that when I tightline off of my dock for catfish that is not a sport, yet when a fellow fights a Blue Fin Tuna for 2.5 hours that requires aerobic stamina unlike either Mr. Woods or Mr. McIlroy exert all year in golf tourneys.

Your Thoughts?

I personally think of it more of an outdoor activity, but when you put it like that, I guess it all depends on the level in which you are competing. I can sit on a pier all day with a folding chair and a cooler full of drinks,and obviously that isn't very sporting. On the other hand, some of these trophy fishermen stay pretty fit and healthy to reel in some of these monster fish that take 2.5 hours to bring in.

As for golfers like Tiger and Rory, they have strict workout routines that help them get the most out of their swings. I think they said during his hey-day Tiger was benching over 300 pounds. Now me, the closest I'm coming to benching 300 pounds, is standing up after sitting on a bench...

There's probably not an exact answer to the question. Endurance isn't exactly something you measure a sport by. Ask any right-fielder, kicker or punter.

If you can't break 100, the likelihood that you think it is not a sport is probably very high.

If you shoot in the 70's you will always think it is a sport.

Golf is a sport that allows unathletic people an opportunity to participate.

Golf is also a sport that humbles(embarrasses) athletes from other sports.

There's probably not an exact answer to the question. Endurance isn't exactly something you measure a sport by. Ask any right-fielder, kicker or punter.

If you can't break 100, the likelihood that you think it is not a sport is probably very high.

If you shoot in the 70's you will always think it is a sport.

Golf is a sport that allows unathletic people an opportunity to participate.

Golf is also a sport that humbles(embarrasses) athletes from other sports.

You are smart fella 3 J's. I agre with yure point. I mite point out tho that embarasses is spelt with 1 'R' not two. Its kool tho. We alll make misteaks.

You are smart fella 3 J's. I agre with yure point. I mite point out tho that embarasses is spelt with 1 'R' not two. Its kool tho. We alll make misteaks.

Lol, spelling lessons from doomer. I found this kool book by a guy named Webster.

em·bar·rass

   [em-bar-uhs]

It depends on the level you play. Golf takes a skill that few players have to play at an elite level. Most sports can be played at a recreational level or competitive level. Obviously athleticism and fitness play a part in every sport. We have overweight and players that appear unfit in most sports, even at the competitive level. There are a lot of great professional athlets that aren't very good at golf and obviously a lot of elite golfers that aren't very good at other sports at a competitive level. At a cpompetitive level, golf is most definitely a sport. Don't think so? ... Go out and break 80, or 70 for me.

Lol, spelling lessons from doomer. I found this kool book by a guy named Webster.

em·bar·rass

   [em-bar-uhs]

Sorry i wasnt tryin to be the gramer police. On subject now, golf is a worthwhile indevor to watch when natalie gulbis is playing. Tru storie!

Boy Howdy, I thunk you'd got spell checker or some fancy schmancy device (speak and spell) to help you with your spellin' skills. You're lettin' me down Doomer. I still like lookin' at that Michelle Wie, she's 23 an marryn' age. Ifn' I hear about her and that rascal Tiger Woods hookin' up on the back nine, then there's a storm a brewin' in that there golfin' world thingy.

Boy Howdy, I thunk you'd got spell checker or some fancy schmancy device (speak and spell) to help you with your spellin' skills. You're lettin' me down Doomer. I still like lookin' at that Michelle Wie, she's 23 an marryn' age. Ifn' I hear about her and that rascal Tiger Woods hookin' up on the back nine, then there's a storm a brewin' in that there golfin' world thingy.

Them China'r womens reely no's how to cook'm fish i herd!

• 1 month later...

Hemingway stated that there are only 3 real sports; bull fighting, motor racing, and mountain climbing - and not the kind of bull fighting Shorty Gorham does [yep that's his name...get it? a bull fighter named "Gorham" LOL] ---- the rest are merely children's games played by adults. Man VS Beast[bullfighting]; Man VS Machine[motor racing]; Man VS Nature [mountain climbing] are the criteria for a sport ergo golf is NOT a sport...no bats, gloves, clubs, rackets, nets, goal posts, umpires, line judges, referees or score keepers required.