Breaking News: Poe leaving Spring Hill

Smoaky

Dude! Longview high offers much more for advanced students than spring hill does and it's a fact. Spring hill is a tiny and good school but don't try to compare the 2. Longview is much larger and diverse. It's a typical response from someone from spring hill. Justvwitvtill some of spring hill older neighborhoods go downhill,which they already are. Lower income kids who bring your scores down. Just way it is ok. Get off your almighty horse there at spring hill and admit the football job there just isn't very attractive. Baseball yes, football noooooooooo!

I ain't from Spring Hill, just commenting on the thread! Not on a horse, currently on a couch!

But to get back to the topic of the thread, I feel that Waldrep will be a great man for the job in Spring Hill. He's was on Bero's staff and is currently the asst principal at the high school.

I hate that Spring Hill is understaffed, but I feel that those budget cuts had to come from somewhere. Wes Jones (supt) is a good man and really loves Spring Hill ISD. I hope the few posters on this website don't represent what the community thinks of him as a whole.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1332216357[/url]' post='1698173']

I ain't from Spring Hill, just commenting on the thread! Not on a horse, currently on a couch!

But to get back to the topic of the thread, I feel that Waldrep will be a great man for the job in Spring Hill. He's was on Bero's staff and is currently the asst principal at the high school.

I hate that Spring Hill is understaffed, but I feel that those budget cuts had to come from somewhere. Wes Jones (supt) is a good man and really loves Spring Hill ISD. I hope the few posters on this website don't represent what the community thinks of him as a whole.

Ok. Understand. Sorry bro

Spring Hill currently staffs four male coaches: Taylor, Furlow, Hector, Lee. To offset the leaving of Poe after two years, SH has to hire within. If they go another road, they are off-setting two years of work in a positive direction-even if wins don't show it. Furlow would be the best hire: he came with Poe from Southlake, he would keep the system, for the most part, the same, some-what level of steady leadership after a change. From what I understand, the players don't want an outside hire. They know and trust Furlow.

Waldrep is another name floating around. He has been around several teams in East Texas and has head coach experience. He has been out of coaching for two years after accepting the current Vice-Principle position at the high school. I don't believe Waldrep wants or is interested in the job. One of the big reasons he came to SH was to step in as VP-not for football. Although he understands the SH program, I do not see him stepping in.

This could not be a more perfect opportunity for a young coach. There is no pressure to win for the next two years. The coach would be allowed to understand & learn the landscape. The growing pains would likely not be a factor on Friday. Hiring an experienced coach, Waldrep, would be a wrong decision. He wouldn't have a chance to succeed. The best benefit of stepping into SH is gaining invaluable head coaching experience without having steady pressure for a period.

SH has to hire a staff & hire Furlow.

Spring Hill currently staffs four male coaches: Taylor, Furlow, Hector, Lee. To offset the leaving of Poe after two years, SH has to hire within. If they go another road, they are off-setting two years of work in a positive direction-even if wins don't show it. Furlow would be the best hire: he came with Poe from Southlake, he would keep the system, for the most part, the same, some-what level of steady leadership after a change. From what I understand, the players don't want an outside hire. They know and trust Furlow.

Waldrep is another name floating around. He has been around several teams in East Texas and has head coach experience. He has been out of coaching for two years after accepting the current Vice-Principle position at the high school. I don't believe Waldrep wants or is interested in the job. One of the big reasons he came to SH was to step in as VP-not for football. Although he understands the SH program, I do not see him stepping in.

This could not be a more perfect opportunity for a young coach. There is no pressure to win for the next two years. The coach would be allowed to understand & learn the landscape. The growing pains would likely not be a factor on Friday. Hiring an experienced coach, Waldrep, would be a wrong decision. He wouldn't have a chance to succeed. The best benefit of stepping into SH is gaining invaluable head coaching experience without having steady pressure for a period.

SH has to hire a staff & hire Furlow.

Why hire within the system is not working? SH needs more coaches. Someone who supports more than just football.

Why hire within the system is not working? SH needs more coaches. Someone who supports more than just football.

How can you define that 'within' is not working on an understaffed team and an over competitive district? The last two years were a step forward with Poe-he pushed the team in the right direction. Furlow would continue the progress.

Hire Furlow & a real staff.

How can you define that 'within' is not working on an understaffed team and an over competitive district? The last two years were a step forward with Poe-he pushed the team in the right direction. Furlow would continue the progress.

Hire Furlow & a real staff.

You must not have seen the Jr. High program. Thats where it starts.

You must not have seen the Jr. High program. Thats where it starts.

I would question any head coach's sanity if he placed priority toward a Junior High program with an understaffed program. In a perfect world, I could not agree with you more. Junior High has to be given direct and great coaching. But look at Spring Hill was dealing with. They did not have the resources the put an effort to the JH. 100/100 times a coach is going to choose varsity over JH. Yes, JH is where it starts, but Friday night is where the results are shown. It wasn't the coaches faults last year the JH didn't show up. It was the school boards for firing several coaches before the season last year. Blame them not the coaches. Whoever comes in, whether it be Nick Saban or Vince Lombarti, could not fix the understaffed problem-it falls directly onto the school board.

No, Augustus, one of the main problems with the JH staff is that laziness abounds.

I don't know if Furlow would make a good HC, but I believe he will merit consideration. That said, you don't necessarily have to hire from within. The key factors include revamping the JH, hiring a complete staff, and not throwing kids under the bus who can and want to compete right now just so someone can gain 2 years of experience and leave. That doesn't even take into account the number of kids in other sports who are dang good athletes. The girls track team has a good shot at sending several to State this year, and next. Do you scrap that program in order to make room for a guy who uses SH as a stepping stone?

No. Don't you dare.

No, Augustus, one of the main problems with the JH staff is that laziness abounds.

I don't know if Furlow would make a good HC, but I believe he will merit consideration. That said, you don't necessarily have to hire from within. The key factors include revamping the JH, hiring a complete staff, and not throwing kids under the bus who can and want to compete right now just so someone can gain 2 years of experience and leave. That doesn't even take into account the number of kids in other sports who are dang good athletes. The girls track team has a good shot at sending several to State this year, and next. Do you scrap that program in order to make room for a guy who uses SH as a stepping stone?

No. Don't you dare.

I agree 100% The Jr. High program was a joke.

No. Don't you dare.

1. The junior high coaching situation is a complete reflection to coaching number's lack. If you can't even fill out a decent varsity staff, can you really expect to make a good junior high staff?

2. The whole purpose of hiring Furlow would be, so he won't leave. He already knows the system, put the time in, and needs HC experience. He also know the other coaches and the SH athletic department. I have no doubt in my mind Furlow had the opportunity to dash after the season. But he is still here. I want a man I trust with an experience in the program to take over. Bringing in new blood in would just reset the program again.

3. I really don't understand your strong and assumptive correlation between my opinions on Furlow being head coach and girl's track. How is hiring Coach Furlow going to scrap the girl's track team? The problem with SH has never been other sports-excluding soccer, but I'm not going to go there-SH has always been potently successful in all other sports. They have been the best over-all sports team in the district for over the past 5 years. Even with a football focused coach like Poe, they still continued to achieve. I'm not "daring" anything. But Furlow is the man for the job.

Dodge's Marble Falls staff

Outside of football (which I do realize dominates the discussion here), Spring Hill is fine. We not only compete, but win more than our fair share in all other sports.

We do need quality coaches to continue the trend and if we remain as understaffed as we were this year, we will continue to lose those quality type guys.

Poe is part of Dodge's Marble Falls staff..

The issue for JH is that its been a joke for a long time, before Bill got here.

Again, I don't know if Furlow is the answer or not, but it does boil down to filling a complete staff. Coach Edwards is poised to leave after this year (girls track and cross country) to go elsewhere. My point is that we need to keep coaches like her who bring success, instead of a bunch of football only folks who draw straws for the sports they care nothing for and know little about.

This community is in an uproar right now with the poor emphasis the Admin has placed on athletics as a whole. Football gets the most attention, but if you put all the focus there, and fail to have a well rounded program, the sports SH has had success in will deteriorate, and the football program will get worse.

Again, I don't know if Furlow is the answer or not, but it does boil down to filling a complete staff. Coach Edwards is poised to leave after this year (girls track and cross country) to go elsewhere. My point is that we need to keep coaches like her who bring success, instead of a bunch of football only folks who draw straws for the sports they care nothing for and know little about.

This community is in an uproar right now with the poor emphasis the Admin has placed on athletics as a whole. Football gets the most attention, but if you put all the focus there, and fail to have a well rounded program, the sports SH has had success in will deteriorate, and the football program will get worse.

Your right on! The Jr. high has been bad for a while nothing was done to fix it while Poe was here. If Furlow gets the job I think the rest of the good coaches will leave. Just my opinion. Whoever gets the job must focus on more than football and get more quailty coaches on staff to keep the success we have in the other programs.

Again, no matter who gets hired-Tom Landry, Barry Switzer, the snow cone guy who works on the Loop-it's the the admins fault for the lack of coaching.

But with all that aside, Furlow is the best man for the job. Hector likes him. That's important because baseball is essential to SH sports. Taylor will stay. Football is not his concern. Lee might leave because his son is graduating and he no longer has ties to the program.

I understand the girl's athletics concern, but they are never going to get priority over football. This is Texas. Football will always take the front seat to other sports.

Your right on! The Jr. high has been bad for a while nothing was done to fix it while Poe was here. If Furlow gets the job I think the rest of the good coaches will leave. Just my opinion. Whoever gets the job must focus on more than football and get more quailty coaches on staff to keep the success we have in the other programs.

Dude, every coach on staff wants new coaches. That was a factor in Poe leaving. The school board told him that there ain't no more coaches coming to SH.

The JH coaching problem begins and ends with the one man that has been there for about ten years.

Dude, every coach on staff wants new coaches. That was a factor in Poe leaving. The school board told him that there ain't no more coaches coming to SH.

The JH coaching problem begins and ends with the one man that has been there for about ten years.

Agree with your last statement, Augustus. I have a strong feeling, however, that there will be more coaches hired with the next AD.

As for girls athletics, just remember that this particular coach did a whole lot more than simply coach girls track. Cross Country, boys and girls, boys distance runners in track, and coordinated all of girls athletics. Yes, it's Texas, and football is king...but every other athlete in Spring Hill deserves an equal representation and treatment as the Friday Night boys.

I'm sorry,but football is the onlyyyyy sport that can create income! Bottom line! Spring hill is a small nice school that will bad in football for a long time! Just a fact! It's not better academically thn any other. It's a good school. Growth will not happen due to small are of district. Will be a small 3a always. Then will shrink due to lack of room to grow. It's ok not ever to be good in football. Just won't ever happen. Tennis and baseball yeah, football..........noooooooo.

Couple things

1. Furlow was never at SLC (know for a fact)

2. What makes you think the coaches there are staying?

3. The jr high coach that has been there forever does a good job, he is the only full time jr hi coach

4. Does Hector/Lee/or Proctor not want it?

5. What makes Furlow the man (Hector was at Gilmer forever under Traylor, worked with Barr and Edwards on Defense and won 2 rings, Lee won one early in career)

6. What makes you think if they dont get they will be there?

7. Would think if Hector didnt get he would leave (not sure he will even apply, my in the know guy hasnt asked him)

8. POE supported all sports equally

9. Hector reportedly told board he thinks if they bring in a new coach, he should be able to bring in whomever he wants

10. Proctor has AD experience

11. Lee has another son in the 9th grade (i think) coming thru

12. Waldrip has a great job

All the above staements have been either spoken and or confirmed

People in spring hill for some reason think its some great job to be a football coach there...... Not sure why? Good job, but surely no better than anywhere else.

Don't know where you get this idea? Sh is not a good football coaching job poor Jr. High program and coaching, lack of high school coaches, toughest district in the state. A lot of changes need to be made.

People in spring hill for some reason think its some great job to be a football coach there...... Not sure why? Good job, but surely no better than anywhere else.

That's because it is LoboNation! Being a football coach at SH is an honor, and anyone would consider themselves lucky to be on the sidelines every Friday night alongside those great kids!

I don't know what goes on with the Jr high program but it doesn't look good when kids win every game in 5th and 6th and then lose every game in 7th and 8th.

Possibly because not all kids are able to afford to play little league football at other schools. These could be the better athletes for those schools. When they get to Jr. High everybody plays.