Breaking News: Poe leaving Spring Hill

Smoaky

Couple things

1. Furlow was never at SLC (know for a fact)

2. What makes you think the coaches there are staying?

3. The jr high coach that has been there forever does a good job, he is the only full time jr hi coach

4. Does Hector/Lee/or Proctor not want it?

5. What makes Furlow the man (Hector was at Gilmer forever under Traylor, worked with Barr and Edwards on Defense and won 2 rings, Lee won one early in career)

6. What makes you think if they dont get they will be there?

7. Would think if Hector didnt get he would leave (not sure he will even apply, my in the know guy hasnt asked him)

8. POE supported all sports equally

9. Hector reportedly told board he thinks if they bring in a new coach, he should be able to bring in whomever he wants

10. Proctor has AD experience

11. Lee has another son in the 9th grade (i think) coming thru

12. Waldrip has a great job

All the above staements have been either spoken and or confirmed

Hot wings, lots of criticism you sure did punch there.

Furlow is the man because the offense was dependent on him and Poe. Furlow was of the key coaches brought aboard during Poe's era. Furlow understands the key concepts and the current players WANT him to be the coach. I know this is only one view, but they believe he is the man for the job.

Hector is a baseball man. Yes, one heck of a football coach, but his duties lie in baseball. Think about how he switched from SH to Gilmer....baseball, bacon. There is no way he gives up baseball duties of an elite school to become HC of a decent football program-at the time.

*Stuffed turkey, for all purposes: all comments of mine are pure speculation based on comments I might have seemed to heard. No comments are based on pure facts and most comments lack credibility. It would be certainty very wise to assume I'm intoxicated on a substance when I comment. I comment to create and continue conversation in the area interested to myself.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot wings, lots of criticism you sure did punch there.

Furlow is the man because the offense was dependent on him and Poe. Furlow was of the key coaches brought aboard during Poe's era. Furlow understands the key concepts and the current players WANT him to be the coach. I know this is only one view, but they believe he is the man for the job.

Hector is a baseball man. Yes, one heck of a football coach, but his duties lie in baseball. Think about how he switched from SH to Gilmer....baseball, bacon. There is no way he gives up baseball duties of an elite school to become HC of a decent football program-at the time.

*Stuffed turkey, for all purposes: all comments of mine are pure speculation based on comments I might have seemed to heard. No comments are based on pure facts and most comments lack credibility. It would be certainty very wise to assume I'm intoxicated on a substance when I comment. I comment to create and continue conversation in the area interested to myself.

Who is Coach Furlow, and what does he bring to the table that qulifies him to ve AD/HC? I am not familiar with him, so please forgive me for asking!

Who is Coach Furlow, and what does he bring to the table that qulifies him to ve AD/HC? I am not familiar with him, so please forgive me for asking!

Grits, he is the current offensive coordinator for the Spring Hill Panther of Longview, Texas. He is qualified because he is a direct disciple of Poe's offensive for the past two years and would keep the team steady after the sudden departure of their current coach. It would be possible that if a new HC came in from outside that a reset of the program would promptly occur.

Grits, he is the current offensive coordinator for the Spring Hill Panther of Longview, Texas. He is qualified because he is a direct disciple of Poe's offensive for the past two years and would keep the team steady after the sudden departure of their current coach. It would be possible that if a new HC came in from outside that a reset of the program would promptly occur.

I like coach Furlow, but I am not sure that I agree that he is the man. I would support him if he got it, but I would like to see other options. I don't think anybody is any more of a Poe supporter than I am, but I don't want the offense to continue as is. In the Carthage game last year we did not get a first down until the third quarter. We need to be able to adapt if something is not working and we could not because our only offense was the spread. I really like how Carthage is able to mix things up a little. That is not a Poe bash because I wish he was staying.

People need to lay off the Jr High thing. Coach Chat is the ONLY full time jr high coach we have. The Varsity/JV/9th grade coaches went to jr high defense on monday am at 6:45, the offense, including Poe went on tuesday am. He would have the entire Jr high by himself most of the time because his asst was the varsity basketball coach. Not another person around can do what he does. When you win in the Super bowls in 5th and 6th grade, how many coaches do you have coaching those 30 kids???? Answer is average of 7 by looking at the signs. Coach Chat doesnt deserve to be thrown under the bus, people need to stop throwing blame and figure out a solution. Not diminishing the super bowl wins, but my son has been to 3 world series also. One held in Carthage, one held in longview, and one held in mississippi. In none of those did his team even win their state tournament (which is made up of local teams only). I only say that to show that if we use the success of kids when they are young to determine what they will do when older, is highly counter-productive. In UIL athletics, they dont let the 4th place team go to the world series and they dont place an X on the kids helmet and declare him ineligible to run the ball

On the girls not getting equal support- of the male coaches, only 2 of the 8 have 2 athletic periods

On the girls side, 4 of the 6 have 2 athletic periods.

People need to lay off the Jr High thing. Coach Chat is the ONLY full time jr high coach we have. The Varsity/JV/9th grade coaches went to jr high defense on monday am at 6:45, the offense, including Poe went on tuesday am. He would have the entire Jr high by himself most of the time because his asst was the varsity basketball coach. Not another person around can do what he does. When you win in the Super bowls in 5th and 6th grade, how many coaches do you have coaching those 30 kids???? Answer is average of 7 by looking at the signs. Coach Chat doesnt deserve to be thrown under the bus, people need to stop throwing blame and figure out a solution. Not diminishing the super bowl wins, but my son has been to 3 world series also. One held in Carthage, one held in longview, and one held in mississippi. In none of those did his team even win their state tournament (which is made up of local teams only). I only say that to show that if we use the success of kids when they are young to determine what they will do when older, is highly counter-productive. In UIL athletics, they dont let the 4th place team go to the world series and they dont place an X on the kids helmet and declare him ineligible to run the ball

On the girls not getting equal support- of the male coaches, only 2 of the 8 have 2 athletic periods

Coach, I agree with some of the things you say but respectfully disagree with others. In my honest opinion there has been a problem in the Jr High for at least 5 years which precedes the staffing issue. As far as the 5th and 6th grade accomplishments go, I do agree it is a little different as far as rules go, but from what I have seen a lot of the same skilled athletes we saw in grades 5 and 6 are the same skilled athletes we see now (case in point Chase Tate and Boyd from Gilmer). Coaching was also limited to 4, others were recognized for their contributions.

I agree entirely and am tired of hearing how football gets priority, In what world is that happening at SH. It is not. I also agree with not getting caught up in determining too early the success of an individual athlete (some mature late). Finally I agree we need solutions.

You can ignore the Jr. High program if you want but untill it changes the vasity program will not get better because we are losing the skilled players before they get to high school. A friend of mine who coached for 25 years came to the games this year he said it was worst Jr. High program he ever saw. Trying to throw the ball 90% of the time wont work in Jr. High. One player on the team who is the biggest and fastes player we have never touches the ball. I think he won the 200 in the disrict track meet last year. He probaly won't be at SH next year. So I do blame the coaching. Its there job! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its a duck!

I am not saying that they would have won any more games I think they would have be alot more competitive and enjoyed playing.

All im am saying, is if we are going to throw people under the bus, I really think you should come up and say it directly to them. I know its a public forum and people are free to post. But if your son lives here, plays here, and you come to the games, I think you should directly call a meeting with the coach and tell him your point of view. If you have done that, then kudos. I hate the fact that SH will lose him to Longview, but it is the parents choice to put their kids were they think they can most blossom and I respect that. As far as being a bad jr high program, all im saying is that he is ONE man coaching 30 kids

All im am saying, is if we are going to throw people under the bus, I really think you should come up and say it directly to them. I know its a public forum and people are free to post. But if your son lives here, plays here, and you come to the games, I think you should directly call a meeting with the coach and tell him your point of view. If you have done that, then kudos. I hate the fact that SH will lose him to Longview, but it is the parents choice to put their kids were they think they can most blossom and I respect that. As far as being a bad jr high program, all im saying is that he is ONE man coaching 30 kids

I have voiced my opinion along with alot of others about the Jr. High program to no avail. I know the coaching staff is depleted but all this was said last year before the other Jr. High coaches were let go. They let the wrong ones go thats all I am saying. I don't who makes the final decision on that Poe, Supt., or board members but they miss the boat. I just want changes at SH to get the program back online. Before we lose more players.

One JH coach is unacceptable by the SH administration. Smaller schools have at least 2 or 3 full time coaches and then high school coaches who go help most days. I love it when daddies compare little league wins to JH and HS wins. Seems to me the problem wasnt Poe or the JH coach, it is the lack of coaches. Go down the road to Gilmer or Carthage, or even Tatum and see how many coaches they have. I hope SH gets it right, also if a parent wants to take their kid to Longview over SH they are crazy, my kid would never go to that place, its a zoo and those people from longview who say it isnt are kidding themselves.

I don't think anyone is blaming coach Poe. If he was going down the road, I might try and follow him. You are correct, as has been stated many times, the biggest problem is lack of staff. I will say again though, there was a problem in Jr High prior to the cuts. There was more than one coach prior to this year and still there were problems. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus on a public forum either, but to defend the Jr High program based on one coach this past season is ignoring the prior seasons when there was no shortage.

While that maybe true gsmith, there is a noticable lack of interest for 5 years (I believe Riley get's credit for last years seniors 8th grade year). I've seen enough to draw my own conclusion on that issue, so I'll just agree to disagree with any defense for what has happened down there lately. Last I'll comment on the Jr High program on a forum (I'll talk to anyone privately).

Good luck coach Poe.

SH, let's get it right and as coach3198 said let's find a solution.

While that maybe true gsmith, there is a noticable lack of interest for 5 years. I've seen enough to draw my own conclusion on that issue, so I'll just agree to disagree with any defense for what has happened down there lately. Last I'll comment on the Jr High program on a forum (I'll talk to anyone privately).

Good luck coach Poe.

SH, let's get it right and as coach3198 said let's find a solution.

I agree what can be done to fix the problem at SH?

I agree what can be done to fix the problem at SH?

#1 Assure the good ones we have left they are going to get more help next year so they don't choose to leave as Keith Taylor and Poe did. Get this done ASAP!

#2 GET MORE COACHES NEXT YEAR!

Give the new AD/Football Coach a chance by keeping what we have and allowing him to bring in 2 or 3 of his hand picked guys as well.

#1 Assure the good ones we have left they are going to get more help next year so they don't choose to leave as Keith Taylor and Poe did. Get this done ASAP!

#2 GET MORE COACHES NEXT YEAR!

Give the new AD/Football Coach a chance by keeping what we have and allowing him to bring in 2 or 3 of his hand picked guys as well.

I agree. Also, any exiting teacher if possible needs to be replaced with a teacher/coach.

As for the JH coach, I requested a meeting with him last year, and got no response. He's fair game in my book.

Can't compare peewee football to HS. No way.

How can Gilmer and Carthage have full staffs, build new athletic complexes, and spend $750,000 on a video scoreboard, while SH can't afford a skeleton crew, can't keep our most successful coaches from leaving, or hire current coach's spouses to the staff?

This current Admin has lots of accountability issues.

celtic,

because those schools care about athletics just like 99% of other schools in east texas.

How many coaches did SH lose to Sabine this year? You guys dont pay enough money. You have no loyalty to the ones you have, see above about hiring coaches spouses. So much for taking care of the people who work for you.

Word on the street is that the coaching exodus out of SH is not over, expect more departures, not due to the district of doom, not due to the kids.

celtic,

because those schools care about athletics just like 99% of other schools in east texas.

How many coaches did SH lose to Sabine this year? You guys dont pay enough money. You have no loyalty to the ones you have, see above about hiring coaches spouses. So much for taking care of the people who work for you.

Word on the street is that the coaching exodus out of SH is not over, expect more departures, not due to the district of doom, not due to the kids.

Four coaches went to Sabine. Keith Taylor left because didn't want to work on Sat. during football season to edit football video that he recorded on Friday nights. Mayfield and Barker were let go. Comfort left on his own.

I think, when the school board elections come, there will be a shake up. That will be the forebearer of things to come.

Current Board and Admin claim the budget cuts have forced their hand to cut athletic staff to unnacceptable levels.

Budget help needed? Consider the following report from the Longview News Journal:

"Hallsville ISD’s first year accepting out-of-district transfers generated $582,400 for the district, and applications are available for the 2012-13 school year.

Hallsville’s transfer cost is $800 for one child or $1,200 for a family.

This year, the district collected $62,400 in transfer fees with three students having fees waived by the school board for the spring semester because the parent had been an employee and resigned, according to the transfer report. State funds for the 102 transfers will amount to $520,000, according to the report. The district expects to receive about $5,098 per student in state funds."

http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/out-of-district-transfers-big-boost-in-income-for-hallsville/article_93e81162-ff6c-5acf-9c3b-faa9f075b004.html

100 kids averages 8 kids per grade for K - 12. Spring Hill just opened a brand new campus. I'm pretty sure we could handle 8 more kids per grade to gain a around $500,000 to the budget.

Current Board and Admin claim the budget cuts have forced their hand to cut athletic staff to unnacceptable levels.

Budget help needed? Consider the following report from the Longview News Journal:

"Hallsville ISD's first year accepting out-of-district transfers generated $582,400 for the district, and applications are available for the 2012-13 school year.

Hallsville's transfer cost is $800 for one child or $1,200 for a family.

This year, the district collected $62,400 in transfer fees with three students having fees waived by the school board for the spring semester because the parent had been an employee and resigned, according to the transfer report. State funds for the 102 transfers will amount to $520,000, according to the report. The district expects to receive about $5,098 per student in state funds."

http://www.news-jour...a9f075b004.html

100 kids averages 8 kids per grade for K - 12. Spring Hill just opened a brand new campus. I'm pretty sure we could handle 8 more kids per grade to gain a around $500,000 to the budget.

Absolutely. This is being talked about. From what I understand previous backlash has made them reluctant to readdress, but it may be a topic for the coming meeting.

Absolutely. This is being talked about. From what I understand previous backlash has made them reluctant to readdress, but it may be a topic for the coming meeting.

Yep, I've found out today that this is indeed being discussed as an option.

As I mentioned, if there is/was backlash, why not offer it? I'm opened minded about it at this point, but I don't see why it isn't a good solution to budget problems. I would like to hear any oppositions view points, so I can better evaluate it for myself.