Spring Hill Pitching Decisions

Bev

My understanding is that Spring Hill pitched their #1 & #2 pitchers Wednesday against Pittsburg, which is currently in 5th place in a 6-team district. For Thursday's game against Carthage, which like them was undefeated in district at the time, they pitched a 3rd pitcher, presumably the 3rd pitcher in their rotation.

Is my understanding correct?

If so, what is the thinking of the Spring Hill Coach, the reigning District Coach of the Year? I have my thoughts, but I'm interested in yours - especially my good friends in Spring Hill.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I I believe the head coach has many, many skins on the wall from years of successful coaching (and playing) and probably has forgotten more baseball than anyone on this thread will ever know, and thus, more than likely has a lone range plan in place.

Pretty important in sports to win the games you are supposed to win, so if the Pirates commanded the attention of the ace and number two pitcher from the Panthers, then I presume that the old ball coach did what he needed to do to get that tally in the left hand column (that would be where they mark the winners).

When you are in a tough district, you do what you must to get in the playoffs, and then try your best to win about 5 or 6 series.

Let the man do his job. There are lots of reason to do that. He knows his team the best, sure it was what he thought was best for the team.

What do you believe this thoughts were?

Pretty important in sports to win the games you are supposed to win, so if the Pirates commanded the attention of the ace and number two pitcher from the Panthers, then I presume that the old ball coach did what he needed to do to get that tally in the left hand column (that would be where they mark the winners).

When you are in a tough district, you do what you must to get in the playoffs, and then try your best to win about 5 or 6 series.

Was Wednesday's game against Pittsburg a tough one? In your opinion, did winning it require using both of those pitchers?

My guess the plan was make sure you win the first game, then do what you need to win the second.

My understanding is that Spring Hill was ahead of Pittsburg 6-1 when the pitching change was made. Was that change necessary to make sure that game was won?

Have no clue on the situation, but how many pitches had the 1st pitcher thrown, what inning was it in, how did he feel about the match ups, where in the lineup where they, how had each pitcher fared the last few outings or against said opponent, how did did each pitcher feel on that day, how much rest had each pitcher had? These are just a few factors involved. Let the man do his job. Its hard enough to do the job without having to endure public questioning of his intelligence. With all this said, just to clarify, I know nothing of this situation nor know the coach in question.

Second the above comment.

My understanding is that Spring Hill pitched their #1 & #2 pitchers Wednesday against Pittsburg, which is currently in 5th place in a 6-team district. For Thursday's game against Carthage, which like them was undefeated in district at the time, they pitched a 3rd pitcher, presumably the 3rd pitcher in their rotation.

Is my understanding correct?

If so, what is the thinking of the Spring Hill Coach, the reigning District Coach of the Year? I have my thoughts, but I'm interested in yours - especially my good friends in Spring Hill.

I can assure you there was a reason. But I feel you should be a man and ask the coach himself instead of getting on here and asking a forum. Your an embarrassment.

I can assure you there was a reason. But I feel you should be a man and ask the coach himself instead of getting on here and asking a forum. Your an embarrassment.

Why am I an "embarrassment"? All I have done is ask some questions about coacing decisions - all legitimate IMHO.

Why would anybody really even question the starting pitching when the score by inning for Carthage was 0-0-0-0-2-5-X?

The Spring Hill pitcher did indeed do a fine job of pitching Thursday night.

This is an example of why you don't want to coach at Spring Hill:) Whatever you do it will be questioned. They should get all the bleacher coaches to come down and help fill some of their vacancies. Lay off the baseball coach he knows what he is doing.

In the words of a famous coach "we played to win the game" if you want to make the playoffs you gotta win the game your in. Otherwise if you wanna save #1 or #2 forfiet when the other team gets the lead. To me you gotta win the ones you should win. Instead of saving for the game you might win.

This is an example of why you don't want to coach at Spring Hill:) Whatever you do it will be questioned. They should get all the bleacher coaches to come down and help fill some of their vacancies. Lay off the baseball coach he knows what he is doing.

I must disagree. I am not from Spring Hill, and I am amazed that all of the Spring Hill fans seem to be fine with their coach's unorthodox decision. I've got to think if Carthage Coach Goldman had done such a thing when the Bulldogs were playing for 1st place in the district and they ended up losing the game, the Bulldog fans wouldn't be unanimously supporting his decision.

District Championships are WAY over rated in baseball. I've gone into the playoffs as a 3 seed from my district and lost in the regional finals...I've gone in as the 4 seed, swept the #1 ranked team in the state in the first round, and lost in the regional semi-finals (to another 4 seed that lost to a 4 seed in the regional final) I don't know the SH coach personally, but he has a great reputation.

My guess is he had a reason to do what he did. There are hundreds of scenarios I'm sure, but he is the man with ALL the information at his disposal so I would defer to him. Like all decisions...when they work you're a genius...when they don't the SCADS start asking questions.

I too was at this well played battle for first place on Thursday. While also wondering why Spring Hill elected not to pitch their top pitchers I would never question it on a site such as this. Their coach has far more information at his dsposal to make such a decision. Had it not been for the great defense + 5 of the Carthage shortstop Spring Hill may have easily won this game and the Spring Hill coaching staff would have looked like geniuses.

Spring Hill's starter hancuffed Carthage for 5 plus innings, the game was so well played by both sides it does not deserve this negative attention.

the game was so well played by both sides it does not deserve this negative attention.

A battle for 1st place between two of East Texas' top baseball teams was held Thursday night in Carthage. One team pitched their top two starters, while the other pitched their 3rd pitcher, having elected to use their top 2 pitchers the previous night against one of the weakest teams in the district. Why is this not worthy of some discussion about the coaching decisions of the losing coach?

Thus far, there has been no enlightenment on this thread about this strange decision - only unanimity in the attitude that because he is the coach, he must have had good reasons. Is this attitude the result of the UIL now having so many teams making the playoffs that a district championship no longer means much?

I too was at this well played battle for first place on Thursday. While also wondering why Spring Hill elected not to pitch their top pitchers I would never question it on a site such as this.

Is that not at least part of what this site is for?

A battle for 1st place between two of East Texas' top baseball teams was held Thursday night in Carthage. One team pitched their top two starters, while the other pitched their 3rd pitcher, having elected to use their top 2 pitchers the previous night against one of the weakest teams in the district. Why is this not worthy of some discussion about the coaching decisions of the losing coach?

Thus far, there has been no enlightenment on this thread about this strange decision - only unanimity in the attitude that because he is the coach, he must have had good reasons. Is this attitude the result of the UIL now having so many teams making the playoffs that a district championship no longer means much?

If you go back and look at one of my earlier post in this thread(along with a few other) you will get your answer. without all the info that the SH coach had, impossible to answer. I have a feeling none of this matter to you. By the way this is a public forum but it doesn't give you the the moral right say anthing you want.

Maybe # 3 showed him something that he thought might give carthage problems. I've seen coaches turn to guys that may not throw as hard but with an extra pitch when facing a really good team...maybe someone the other team don't have book on or haven't seen before. It was a weird week with rain and good Friday...coaches look ahead when decisions are made. You gotta make a call and go with it. Who pitched vs carthage last time? How did they hit him? A lot of factors you probaby do not understand.

Seems like the Spring Hill pitcher did a good job against a team that can catch fire and go into gorrila ball mode against anyone on any given night. Just because they pitched the #3 starter doesnt mean he isnt a good matchup for Carthage. Look at it this way, if it was the first district meeting between the two teams then Spring Hill will benefit from the fact that they have seen Carthage's ace without seeing Spring Hills ace. Trust me the less looks you give Carthage at a pitcher the more effective he will be.

BEV- u asked for thoughts in your post, here you go bud

YOU ARE GUTLESS- pm your number pal and I assure you i will meet you for breakfast and tell you all you want to know.

You are an idiot that gets on here to try to throw gas on anything you can light because you can hide behind BEV. Whats your job? Whats your name?? I can assure you, you have ZERO clue about whats going on.

I watched you come on here for 2 years and try to nit pick every decision made about pitching in SH to try and get me fired or second guessed, whats your intensions? Do you really care why we pitched a guy who shut you down for 5.1 innings or you just want to cause controvers

I think its time you come clean and meet me for breakfast and if you cant, pm me and I will call you.

Joey Hector

Head Baseball Coach

Spring Hill Panthers

My name is Bev. If you're ever in Houston, I'll be glad to buy you breakfast and discuss baseball, my favorite sport.

You shouldn't worry about getting fired. Not only do you have a good record and a District Coach of of the Year award, your team's supporters seem to agree with every decision you make.

Seems like the Spring Hill pitcher did a good job against a team that can catch fire and go into gorrila ball mode against anyone on any given night. Just because they pitched the #3 starter doesnt mean he isnt a good matchup for Carthage. Look at it this way, if it was the first district meeting between the two teams then Spring Hill will benefit from the fact that they have seen Carthage's ace without seeing Spring Hills ace. Trust me the less looks you give Carthage at a pitcher the more effective he will be.

Nice post. Provides food for thought.

And again, the Spring Hill starting pitcher Thursday night did himself proud with his performance.