Spring Hill Pitching Decisions

Bev

Bev you are they type of person that gives baseball parents a bad name. I assure you that you don't know 1 percent of baseball that Coach Hector does.

Coach Hector is one of the better baseball guys around SH is very lucky to have him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev you are they type of person that gives baseball parents a bad name. I assure you that you don't know 1 percent of baseball that Coach Hector does.

I never said I did. I merely asked some questions about some of his coaching decisions last week, which were very unorthodox to say the least. (He made similar unorthodox moves last year.) Except for 1 or 2 posters, everyone has either responded to my questions with meaningless posts (e.g., he is the coach so he knows best) or personal attacks on me for daring to ask the questions - or in your case, both.

BTW, I am not a baseball parent, just a fan of baseball, the great sport that lends itself so well to questioning coaching moves.

Happy Easter!

My understanding is that Spring Hill pitched their #1 & #2 pitchers Wednesday against Pittsburg, which is currently in 5th place in a 6-team district. For Thursday's game against Carthage, which like them was undefeated in district at the time, they pitched a 3rd pitcher, presumably the 3rd pitcher in their rotation.

Is my understanding correct?

If so, what is the thinking of the Spring Hill Coach, the reigning District Coach of the Year? I have my thoughts, but I'm interested in yours - especially my good friends in Spring Hill.

Any chance Bev that you are upset that carthage could not beat Spring Hill by more than 2 runs? Well Bev or should I say Coach you did your best agianst the #3 and #4 and proved that Spring Hill was a distant 2nd place team behind carthage and the runner up coach of the year last year. Just remember if you are gonna troll over the plate the next pitch may be high and inside.

this thread looks to me to be trying to do nothing but drive a wedge and attempt to create controversy and I am glad as a SH dad that my son gets to play baseball for Coach Hector. I, as well as all people I communicate with are glad he is making our baseball decisions and hope he does far into the future. Let the man do his job, if you need more information than that, no need to post anything else, just contact the man himself, that door is now open. thanks Coach!

BEV- u asked for thoughts in your post, here you go bud

YOU ARE GUTLESS- pm your number pal and I assure you i will meet you for breakfast and tell you all you want to know.

You are an idiot that gets on here to try to throw gas on anything you can light because you can hide behind BEV. Whats your job? Whats your name?? I can assure you, you have ZERO clue about whats going on.

I watched you come on here for 2 years and try to nit pick every decision made about pitching in SH to try and get me fired or second guessed, whats your intensions? Do you really care why we pitched a guy who shut you down for 5.1 innings or you just want to cause controvers

I think its time you come clean and meet me for breakfast and if you cant, pm me and I will call you.

Joey Hector

Head Baseball Coach

Spring Hill Panthers

this thread looks to me to be trying to do nothing but drive a wedge and attempt to create controversy and I am glad as a SH dad that my son gets to play baseball for Coach Hector. I, as well as all people I communicate with are glad he is making our baseball decisions and hope he does far into the future. Let the man do his job, if you need more information than that, no need to post anything else, just contact the man himself, that door is now open. thanks Coach!

The coach at Spring Hill is a very good baseball coach and knows his team better than anyone else. He knows as does everyone else in the state of Texas how good Carthage is. He got a real good look at the Bull Dawg starters and can prepare his boys for the next meeting. Will they or can they beat the Dawgs, in my opinion no and nobody else can either. You just don't go against the Dawgs without a game plan. The coach at Spring Hill and his team did a heck of a job for 5 innings and nobody can say the Dawgs would not have beaten the Spring Hill starters worse than the number 3 they pitched. They have beaten everyones number one all year. Just my two cents worth.

Whoever Bev is, I can assure you he is not a Carthage baseball parent, and he is certainly NOT our coach. I'm a Carthage football and baseball parent. We have nothing but the greatest respect for the players, parents and coaches at Spring Hill. The Spring Hill starter shut down Carthage the first few innings Thursday night. It's a shame that adults have the time to get on Smoaky to use high school athletics as a launchpad for arguments. After the game Thursday night, the Carthage and Spring Hill players shook hands, texted each other and got on Facebook. These young men are friendly rivals, and we can learn a lot about sportsmanship from them.

The coach at Spring Hill is a very good baseball coach and knows his team better than anyone else. He knows as does everyone else in the state of Texas how good Carthage is. He got a real good look at the Bull Dawg starters and can prepare his boys for the next meeting. Will they or can they beat the Dawgs, in my opinion no and nobody else can either. You just don't go against the Dawgs without a game plan. The coach at Spring Hill and his team did a heck of a job for 5 innings and nobody can say the Dawgs would not have beaten the Spring Hill starters worse than the number 3 they pitched. They have beaten everyones number one all year. Just my two cents worth.

carthage is a very good team and deserves the ranking that they have.....but they have not beat every teams number one this year....pg's buchanan beat carthage this year

It's a shame that adults have the time to get on Smoaky to use high school athletics as a launchpad for arguments.

Why does the questioning of a coaching decision have to result in a launchpad for arguments? It could - and should - have resulted in a discussion of the reasoning of this accomplished baseball coach in making an unorthodox decision for the 2nd straight year against Carthage.

This is an example of why you don't want to coach at Spring Hill:) Whatever you do it will be questioned. They should get all the bleacher coaches to come down and help fill some of their vacancies. Lay off the baseball coach he knows what he is doing.

Exactly!!

I must disagree. I am not from Spring Hill, and I am amazed that all of the Spring Hill fans seem to be fine with their coach's unorthodox decision. I've got to think if Carthage Coach Goldman had done such a thing when the Bulldogs were playing for 1st place in the district and they ended up losing the game, the Bulldog fans wouldn't be unanimously supporting his decision.

This is nothing but an attempt to stir everyone up and the sad thing about this is that everyone sees it but you. It's posters like you that give forums like Smoaky a bad name. If you really want to know this, I am POSITIVE that Coach Hector would love to enlighten you on his thinking. I think you would thoroughly enjoy that conversation, but please let us all come and witness it. I bet you could sell tickets to it and make a little money for yourself.

Ok Bev, now you get to listen to me now! I used to play baseball for SH back in the '80's, and I never ever questioned what my coach had in mind for the game, I just did what he asked me to do, and I went out and performed the best I could. That's all any athlete can ever ask from their coach. Basically, what I'm saying is, we had complete trust in our coaches, and we won as a result. I personally know Coach Hector, and I know for a fact that he knows every aspect of the game of baseball, and he is a great man that treats his players with respect and professionalism. I respect that you were asking what you thought was a legitimate question, but your underlying meaning got lost in translation along the way, and as a result, it came out wrong from those that actually know Coach Hector, especially Coach Hector himself.

Bev,

its funny that you say its a unorthodox decision. When if you really new your baseball you would understand that a lot of teams do this. I Know of a few last to second to last place teams that faced every teams #1 in district. Why is this? Because its a must win its a should win and its a have to win game.

There is so many factors that lead up to the decision to pitch any kid. Some really good teams cant hit slow pitching. Some really good teams cant hit a lot of off speed stuff. And the kids that throw Slow or off speed stuff a lot of the times are the #3 and #4 pitchers. And way it seems thats what SH was doing to Carthage.

Thats only 1 reason in 100 that could explain this. However who are you that someone has to answer to you.

If its your so called favorite sport you need to read up a little more before questioning a well seasoned successfull coach

unorthadox is in the eye of the beholder................ I say let the coach make decisions that benefit his team in the long run. Perhaps he fealt his #3 was more suited to give carthage problems?? Regardless it's his decision, no need to question it unless harm comes to a player.

Coach Cole

Alright Bev....you asked a question to get the thoughts of others. Some answered your question straight forward.....some not so much. I am always up for great baseball discussions. So in the OP you stated you had your thoughts. I would like to hear them and we can continue the conversation.

Too bad your gonna lose him.

I was about to compliment Panther89 on his post and suggest that since this thread took the direction it did that perhaps it would be a good time for it to die. But I think your post probably ruined that idea!

This is an example of why you don't want to coach at Spring Hill:) Whatever you do it will be questioned. They should get all the bleacher coaches to come down and help fill some of their vacancies. Lay off the baseball coach he knows what he is doing.

Exactly!!

Glad to see everyone defending Coach Hector as he is a great coach. Bucknut and Bluebird, you guys have no clue how respected Coach Hector is in SH by the parents and community. Bev is not from SH. Coaches leaving and/or rumors of coaches leaving I do not think has to do with parents questioning the coach's decision but the circumstances surrounding finances and admin support.

Ok Coach Hector, just admit that you were trying to throw a game.lol Are you kidding? I've known coach a long time and worked with him and I know this guy will do what it takes to win. I really admire high school baseball coaches, you definitely earn your keep. Good luck!

Sounds like a match-up decision made by Coach Hector. I think based on what Carthage has done to everybody else they have played, it was brilliant and almost spurred Spring Hill to an unlikely win over Carthage had their bats come alive. Hats off the youngster who almost pitched his team to a win. Job well done! This just might prove to that SH team that they are deeper and stronger on the mound they thought. Pity the team that tries to take on SH in best of three in playoff games.

Let me tell you a little story about Coach Hector, who I hd the privledge of playing for his first year at Gilmer ...

It's the first round of the playoffs and rain hit East Texas causing our playoff location to be moved last minute and was delayed a couple of hours due to the rain and the game before us going into extra-innings. The game didn't start until about 9:30 and wasn't over until close to mid-night so it was petty late when we got home.

Our starting catcher was also in FFA and had a cow to show at 8 am the next morning. He then left straight from there to Mt. Pleasant where game 2 was to be played. Again, rain delayed our game a few hours. the first game was a 10-inning nail-biter to force game 3 wich was to be played 30 minutes later.

After about a 10 minute rest, started warming up in the bullpen, getting ready to start game 3. After about 10 minutes of warming up, I was told to have a seat because they decided to start someone else ... the catcher!

The catcher?!? The same guy who just caught a late game and was up early enough to show a cow at 8 am and just caught a 10-inning rain-delayed game, is starting the final game of the playoff series?!? ### is he thinking?

Not only did we win game 3, the "catcher" pitched a masterful complete game, can't remember if he shut them out or held them to 1 run, it happened 10 years ago.

So trust me, Coach Hector definitely know what he's doing

Just a reminder!!!! This so called #3 pitcher plays basketball and is just now ready to hit the mound. Those who know Spring Hill baseball knows that he was in the 1-2 rotation last year. He went south a little aound playoff time but was at the top in many crucial games in 2011. Hes not somone that just came out all of the sudden!! He is a great athlete and you will see him on the mound from here on out. Brandon Robbins is his name for those who are interested. He pitched a great game!