Rose Stadium turf

cujoforlife

I doubt if either sport half way pays for itself. They said track meets averaged 460 paying customers. That is less than 2,000 gate and this year there were only 6-7 teams. Do not get me wrong I love track!! Can tolerate soccer , but you gotta do what you gotta do. I would think they should build a soccer/track stadium at JT and be done with it. A&M, UT got rid of their tracks and SMU dropped a national championship track program due to money. Why should emotions get in the way? Wonder is there were as many people upset about both Tyler schools being low performing at one time or the other?

It had to do with who the field was named after. The historical fact that's where the meet as always been.

Now it will be held at the same place Earl Cambell walked the halls of.........JT.

It's like OU and Texas fans being mad about no longer using the Cotton Bowl. Lol

According to the TEA website, Jt is 56% hispanic and 41% African American. Based on these numbers, it could be very reasonably argued that the majority of the student popultation at JT has a strong cultural connection with Soccer. The stadium serves more than one school with football being the primary use. As is, the space between the sideline and the track is unsafe (hence the recent addition of the black pads around the field). They could have taken out a lot of concrete, re-worked the seating down low, changed the entrance ramps, and kept the track. But that would have significantly increased the cost of the project. They could have left it as is and still had a track that was too small and an unsafe field. Or, they could do what they have elected to do (which has nothing to do with race so why was the NAACP involved?), and made the right improvements at the right price to serve the largest number of kids, fans, and community members.

PS...anyone who would vote against the bond issue because of this is very myopic and selfish. The "I'm gonna take my ball and go home" mentality is very immature!

Nice post

So it's impossible to have a soccer field outline and 8 lane track?

Well I posted a link a week or two ago about stadiums that have all 3 on the field.. It seems like you can add the soccer field on top of the football surface without removing the track.

http://www.kieferflo...y-sport/outdoor

but looking at a pic of Rose stadium, it would require getting rid of the first 3 lanes of the track. And since there is no room to reconfigure the track and add lanes without getting rid of the first few rows of the stadium on each side, (which we know won't happen), I guess this was a no brainer.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=568

Also, I didn't know that they couldn't host district meets there. With all of this said, I guess there was no choice but to add the soccer field to the Rose.

Track has points through 6 place. Who get's the point for 6th place? Meets will be twice as long if you have two heats for each race.also not true as some runners can't run againt the clock they have to have someone pushing them.

The news papers have got where they only print 3 places when they give points for 6 so they should have just shorten the track to 3 lanes.