Runner DQ'd for Running With Tape Over Earrings

RETIREDFAN1

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/kansas-teen-dq-ed-running-tape-over-earrings-110553602.html

I know it happened in Kansas, but it could have happened here....Am I the only one who is sick and tired of ignorant rules like the no jewelry rule??? Let the kids run....don't legislate them to death......

My 2 cents...The rule, while archaic now, is still a rule. Follow it until it's changed. I know in soccer, there's a no-jewelry rule, but that's for the sake of safety.

At Carthage last night, Henderson's anchor on the 4X100 Relay threw his baton after he crossed the finish line. He should have been DQ'ed. He would be at Regionals or State.

My 2 cents...The rule, while archaic now, is still a rule. Follow it until it's changed. I know in soccer, there's a no-jewelry rule, but that's for the sake of safety.

At Carthage last night, Henderson's anchor on the 4X100 Relay threw his baton after he crossed the finish line. He should have been DQ'ed. He would be at Regionals or State.

IF she had not worn tape, and had the earrings uncovered, she would only have gotten a warning...that shows the inherent ignorance in this rule and those who passed it.....most rules like these serve no purpose anymore and should be done away with.....

IF she had not worn tape, and had the earrings uncovered, she would only have gotten a warning...that shows the inherent ignorance in this rule and those who passed it.....most rules like these serve no purpose anymore and should be done away with.....

Just follow the rules. And you have no problem.

If so, then why do world class olympic athlete wear all the jewelry they want??? Looks more like a control issue to me.....

I agree. Even college kids wear it. I don't see it as being a problem as much in track as in some other sports. I guess its easier if it's a blanket rule for all uil sports.

I agree. Even college kids wear it. I don't see it as being a problem as much in track as in some other sports. I guess its easier if it's a blanket rule for all uil sports.

Exactly...the rule makers got lazy....lol....(can you tell that the political forums are boring today :) )....

There's a UIL rule that addresses covering tattoos too.

Some schools have hair length/facial hair rules.

Some goofy rules I agree with, many I don't.

As I told my kid, who wants sideburns and long hair in a school that prohibits both...

"I agree that its a bad rule, but its still a rule, and you will abide by it until it changes. If you want to be the one who changes it, I will support you, help you look up data and facts, and stand beside you when you state your case in front of the School Board."

FYI, he still shaves and wears his hair short.

There's a UIL rule that addresses covering tattoos too.

Some schools have hair length/facial hair rules.

Some goofy rules I agree with, many I don't.

As I told my kid, who wants sideburns and long hair in a school that prohibits both...

"I agree that its a bad rule, but its still a rule, and you will abide by it until it changes. If you want to be the one who changes it, I will support you, help you look up data and facts, and stand beside you when you state your case in front of the School Board."

FYI, he still shaves and wears his hair short.

Tell the school board members(bet most if not all are white) to go get their picture of Jesus off their wall and take a GOOD look @ it and see he has long hair and a beard(dont know if this is how he looks but this is what we go by).. Tell them if it is GOOD enough for our own personal saviour then it should be good enough for our own kids..

Tell the school board members(bet most if not all are white) to go get their picture of Jesus off their wall and take a GOOD look @ it and see he has long hair and a beard(dont know if this is how he looks but this is what we go by).. Tell them if it is GOOD enough for our own personal saviour then it should be good enough for our own kids..

That reminds me of the kid who wanted a car in high school. The dad said he would get him a car if he got his long hair cut. The boy reminded his dad that Jesus had long hair, and the dad reminded the kid that Jesus walked everywhere he went, too. ;)

Just follow the rules. And you have no problem.

Why not just let them follow the rules they want to - and disregard the rest?

After all, they have rights. It's in the Constitution. Stage a protest rally. Sign a petition. Make an example of the judge who enforced this rule. Turn this into a really big deal.

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

Well, the most disappointing rules issues I have dealt with in my time as a coach is when rules are violated that affect other teams and nothing is done about it. Very, very disappointing indeed. Really looks very bad as well when the team in question of being disqualified is the host school and nothing is done. Seems to happen every year.