Sabine Golf Team Robbed

kramer

Troup boys golf team was disqualifiied at the Region III AA tournament on Wednesday for an illegal play on the ball which moved the team from Sabine up to the second spot and a birth in the state tournament. After some classy behavior from the Troup coach,players and parents the ruling was changed and the second spot was awarded to the Troup team. So just yell, curse,throw your bags and break your clubs and you'll get your way.

That's pretty messed up. If they were DQ'd then the organizers should have stuck to their guns. I know Troup is a regular at the Region III Tourney, and maybe that played into the decision.

Either way, a DQ is a DQ and if they were bumped, then it should be Sabine heading to Austin in two weeks.

People in Austin made the decision on how to handle the penalty. Not Troup. Not the tournament organizers.

They invoked the seldom-used "CS rule". (C=chicken S=poo)

UIL > rules of golf....every time.

The way I understand it, the UIL passed the buck back to the tournament director.

I also heard there was controversy over who was getting to go to the state tournament as a medalist. Word was that someone should have incurred a penalty and refused to take it. The person who refused to take it beat out the kid that supposedly called it. Can someone enlighten me on what really happened? Kramer, do you have any info on it?

I also heard there was controversy over who was getting to go to the state tournament as a medalist. Word was that someone should have incurred a penalty and refused to take it. The person who refused to take it beat out the kid that supposedly called it. Can someone enlighten me on what really happened? Kramer, do you have any info on it?

I didn't hear about that one.

I didn't hear about that one.

Never heard about that either, but I saw where the Crockett girl dominated the field with two sub-par rounds to win the region. Granted Peach Tree is a very easy course, 69-71 is a pretty solid tournament.

Ruling Enables Troup To Retain Second Place

BULLARD — John Dobbs sat alone in the parking lot, fighting back the tears that eventually overpowered him.

The Troup senior had been disqualified. He cost his team a return trip to the state tournament. His high school career was over.

“I cried my eyes out,” Dobbs said. “But I kept praying.”

On a memorable evening Tuesday, Dobbs’ prayers were answered when his DQ was overturned at the Class 2A Region III golf championships. The UIL and tournament directors ruled that his error would only cost him two strokes, which pushed the Tigers past Sabine for second in the team standings.

What happened?

On the 18th hole of Oak Hurst Golf Course, Dobbs hit a shot onto the cart path and was allowed to take a drop at the nearest point of relief. He erred by dropping the ball to the right of the path instead of the left, which he labeled an honest mistake.

No one from Sabine called him out on the placement and the group played the rest of the hole. But after the scorecards were signed and turned in, a Sabine player informed Cardinals coach Steve LaMore of the error.

“They turned in a score and beat us by two,” LaMore said. “But one of their kids played the ball illegally.”

After LaMore approached tournament officials, Dobbs was ruled to have turned in an incorrect scorecard and was immediately disqualified. In the ensuing moments a heated exchange between Sabine and Troup got under way — which appeared to be headed toward an all-out brawl, no doubt a rarity in the sport of golf.

Troup felt like Sabine swooped in and stole their spot in Austin.

“I have four seniors,” Troup coach Brent Smith said. “I think for a school to pull something like that at the last minute is not something that should be done.”

To clear matters, site director Darrell Chase placed a call to the UIL and they ruled that Sabine’s protest came too late and wouldn’t result in a disqualification. But had the Sabine player brought it up at the hole and Dobbs ignored him (or something in that fashion), he would’ve been disqualified.

“The difference was that the protest came up after the scorecard was turned in,” Chase said. “We went out there and looked where the boy took the incorrect drop, and we didn’t see (any advantages to the placement). It would’ve been a different deal if (the protest) happened at the time it happened.”

Troup finished second at 662 and Sabine placed third at 663.

Meanwhile, a scorecard issue also capped the final round of the girls tournament, held at Peach Tree Golf Course.

Elysian Field’s Derra Barnett finished the par 4 hole No. 9 in five strokes, but accidentally wrote 55 on her scorecard. The error was noticed after her scorecard was turned in, which meant the 55 became official.

——

Ruling Enables Troup To Retain Second Place

BULLARD — John Dobbs sat alone in the parking lot, fighting back the tears that eventually overpowered him.

The Troup senior had been disqualified. He cost his team a return trip to the state tournament. His high school career was over.

"I cried my eyes out," Dobbs said. "But I kept praying."

On a memorable evening Tuesday, Dobbs' prayers were answered when his DQ was overturned at the Class 2A Region III golf championships. The UIL and tournament directors ruled that his error would only cost him two strokes, which pushed the Tigers past Sabine for second in the team standings.

What happened?

On the 18th hole of Oak Hurst Golf Course, Dobbs hit a shot onto the cart path and was allowed to take a drop at the nearest point of relief. He erred by dropping the ball to the right of the path instead of the left, which he labeled an honest mistake.

No one from Sabine called him out on the placement and the group played the rest of the hole. But after the scorecards were signed and turned in, a Sabine player informed Cardinals coach Steve LaMore of the error.

"They turned in a score and beat us by two," LaMore said. "But one of their kids played the ball illegally."

After LaMore approached tournament officials, Dobbs was ruled to have turned in an incorrect scorecard and was immediately disqualified. In the ensuing moments a heated exchange between Sabine and Troup got under way — which appeared to be headed toward an all-out brawl, no doubt a rarity in the sport of golf.

Troup felt like Sabine swooped in and stole their spot in Austin.

"I have four seniors," Troup coach Brent Smith said. "I think for a school to pull something like that at the last minute is not something that should be done."

To clear matters, site director Darrell Chase placed a call to the UIL and they ruled that Sabine's protest came too late and wouldn't result in a disqualification. But had the Sabine player brought it up at the hole and Dobbs ignored him (or something in that fashion), he would've been disqualified.

"The difference was that the protest came up after the scorecard was turned in," Chase said. "We went out there and looked where the boy took the incorrect drop, and we didn't see (any advantages to the placement). It would've been a different deal if (the protest) happened at the time it happened."

Troup finished second at 662 and Sabine placed third at 663.

Meanwhile, a scorecard issue also capped the final round of the girls tournament, held at Peach Tree Golf Course.

Elysian Field's Derra Barnett finished the par 4 hole No. 9 in five strokes, but accidentally wrote 55 on her scorecard. The error was noticed after her scorecard was turned in, which meant the 55 became official.

——

There are always two sides to every story. The one above is Troup's account written by a biased sports writer.

As a rules official for the Texas Junior Golf Tour and a high school golf coach its just my opinion that Sabine did not act in the spirit of the game.

I have no dog in this fight other than I will always try to uphold the integrity and the spirit of the great game of golf.

If the Sabine player thought the Troup player was in violation of the rule he should have stopped him from taking the illegal drop in the first place. If the Troup player would have not agreed then two #### could have been played as the rules of golf allow and this would have never been an issue!

The rules of golf are not there to be a GOT YA! They are there to help you and to ensure the integrity of the game.

Its a shame that more teams are not allowed in the state tournament. The THSGCA is working on that currently and hopefully we will see the state tournament expand to 3 teams from each region hopefully starting next year!

• 8 months later...