Astrodome or Minute Maid

Wild74

AstroDome Or Minute Maid   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Astros lose their idenity by moving, which staduim do you prefer and does it make a difference

• AstroDome they should have stayed
    • Minute Maid gave the Astros a fresh start

I love the Astrodome because it was taylor maid for the Astros pitching. I even got mad when they brought the fences in. If you remember back in the day you had to put the ball in the stands. You had to be a man to hit the ball out of that park.

I set in the upper decks in the Dome where the toy cannon and rooster was on the seat that Doug Radar and Jim Wynn hit those tape measured shots. It is hard to believe anyone could have hit one that high and deep. It is my understanding at Bernie Carbo hit the longest shot in the dome.

I saw Cesar Cedeno hit a grand slam "foamer" in the Astrodome back in the early '70's. The bases were loaded, the clock was on an even number, and all the men got a free beer. The stands were almost all women and children for a couple of innings. Add an autographed ball cap by Cedeno before the game for my twin brother and I, and it ranks really high in my baseball memories.

I remember those days but I thought it was for everybody. Bob Watson hit a homer with the clock on a even number and it was free beer for the rest of the night or until the 9th inning. I believe all they sold was Lone Star Beer. I was just a kid so I didn't partake. I may have got a soda pop though but had to pay.

I saw Cesar Cedeno hit a grand slam "foamer" in the Astrodome back in the early '70's. The bases were loaded, the clock was on an even number, and all the men got a free beer. The stands were almost all women and children for a couple of innings. Add an autographed ball cap by Cedeno before the game for my twin brother and I, and it ranks really high in my baseball memories.

Nothing like free beer all night and a good dome dog

A quote from a county official

County officials expect later this year to receive the results of the latest feasibility study on the Dome’s future. Asked what he thought about its current state, Miller focused instead on memories of better days for the Harris County Domed Stadium.

“This building deserves a lot of respect,” he said. “It served the community well for a lot of years and generated probably 50 times the economic impact that the community spent on construction. It’s been a good building.”

Love both parks (comes with being life-long Astros fan). I went to College at UH and spent MANY nights at the Dome. I remember the early days of the Dome when the ground crew wore astronaut uniforms (just a little kid then). Way ahead of its time back then

Love both parks (comes with being life-long Astros fan). I went to College at UH and spent MANY nights at the Dome. I remember the early days of the Dome when the ground crew wore astronaut uniforms (just a little kid then). Way ahead of its time back then

I was stationed in the Air Force at Houston from 76 to 78 and the Air Force had season tickets 4 of them behind third base in the Box Area. They gave the tickets equally to everyone since there wasn't that many of us. Fortunately for me a lot of the guys where from up North and didn't care to go unless their team was in so they gave me their tickets. I had it made for a couple of years.Also came with a parking pass. I remember those astronaut outfits with the helmets

I will say this, the highlight of my Astrodome and Astro games was the 1986 season I had ordered tickets for a weekend series with Jim Deshaies, Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott pitching in the series. The Astros clinched the division and Mike Scott threw a no hitter. It was the best weekend I ever had at the dome. My wife didn't care much about baseball but even she had a great time. We stayed at that little Days Inn right next to the Dome and walked over to the game. Also visited Astro World while we where there. Its all gone now, except for the dome

I like the Astrodome the best. It's still weird to look across the highway, and not see AstroWorld there. I suppose that they'll tear it down. It seems like the Katrina evacuees helped destroy her : http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/04/the-astrodome-from-greatness-to-ruin/ .

Thanks for the link, pathetic how the Astrodome was allowed to run down. If anything put a new Astroworld inside the dome with rooms to stay. May cost a few dollars...lol

Thanks for the link, pathetic how the Astrodome was allowed to run down. If anything put a new Astroworld inside the dome with rooms to stay. May cost a few dollars...lol

I wish they would have taken more pictures of what the inside looks like. I know the outside looks okay, but needs some touch up. I know they're planning sort of a Santa Monica Pier type amusement park where the Flagship Hotel once was.

I made quite a few games in the dome over the years and have a lot of good memories. I still have my minature Astros bat collection ... somewhere ... along with my bobble heads. My best memory was taking my dad and my oldest son to my dad's first, and only, major league game in the dome a few years before he passed away. I think it was a couple of years before they took the scoreboard down. He was amazed at the giant scoreboard and all the lights. We had a great time. I also have been to Minuite Maid several times and I think it's one of the nicest major league parks I have ever been in, and I've been in several.

I miss being able to show up and pay $4 to sit in the black seats in the outfield......used to do that all the time.....

When I lived in Houston I would go every night and set in those seats. At least I was at the game. Set back with a Coke and a Dome Dog...I don't partake of the adult beverages but I bet they tasted just as good in center field as 3rd or 1st base.

Insurance cut that out sold I been told not sure how true that is.

The last I heard it was still in the works : http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/01/landrys_plans_a_new_galveston.php I saw an advertisement about a month ago, but didn't look at the dates. I'd rather go to Galveston than the Kemah Boardwalk. I guess that's because I spent at least a couple of days each summer in Galveston since I was a kid.

Back to the Astroworld vs. Minute Made debate. The sad thing is parking is tough to find, unless you want to pay $10 just to park. It would be comparable in price for me to drive up to Arlington to see the Rangers play, than it would to head downtown to see the 'Stros play, unless I had a discount coupon or what not.

The last I heard it was still in the works : http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/01/landrys_plans_a_new_galveston.php I saw an advertisement about a month ago, but didn't look at the dates. I'd rather go to Galveston than the Kemah Boardwalk. I guess that's because I spent at least a couple of days each summer in Galveston since I was a kid.

Back to the Astroworld vs. Minute Made debate. The sad thing is parking is tough to find, unless you want to pay $10 just to park. It would be comparable in price for me to drive up to Arlington to see the Rangers play, than it would to head downtown to see the 'Stros play, unless I had a discount coupon or what not.

We just stay at the Holiday Inn and walk over, parking is a pain, Astrodome you drove in paid your 3 or 4 dollars and had plenty of parking