Texas Tech Network

sawemoff

Texas and Oklahoma may not be the only Big 12 schools forming their own TV networks, although the Sooners will simply make available a specific block of programming hours for their sports.

Texas Tech is researching the feasibility of its own network, and learned through Bortz Media and Sports Group that its football games between 2008 and 2010 ranked second in ratings — behind only Texas — in six market areas within the league footprint, including Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin and St. Louis.

"I would say we're past the initial stages," Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt told me last week. "I'd say we'll decide something in the next 12 to 18 months. The opportunities are there. Oklahoma's is the format we would follow."

Tech's enrollment has almost topped 34,000, and is projected to surpass 40,000 by 2020.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas and Oklahoma may not be the only Big 12 schools forming their own TV networks, although the Sooners will simply make available a specific block of programming hours for their sports.

Texas Tech is researching the feasibility of its own network, and learned through Bortz Media and Sports Group that its football games between 2008 and 2010 ranked second in ratings — behind only Texas — in six market areas within the league footprint, including Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin and St. Louis.

"I would say we're past the initial stages," Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt told me last week. "I'd say we'll decide something in the next 12 to 18 months. The opportunities are there. Oklahoma's is the format we would follow."

Tech's enrollment has almost topped 34,000, and is projected to surpass 40,000 by 2020.

That is pretty interesting that we were 2nd in rating during that time era. The 2008 season was the year Tech went 11-2 and had UT, OK. St and OU back to back to back. 2009, Tech's defense went crazy in the sack yardage and 2010 was Tubberville's 1st season.

It could work but it's going to be rough outing. If anything positive about the networks for which I could be dead wrong, I am curious to know if Longhorn Network has picked up a lot of viewers since Baseball started. What I'm wondering is would College Baseball a relatively underdeveloped market for TV could become bigger?

That is pretty interesting that we were 2nd in rating during that time era. The 2008 season was the year Tech went 11-2 and had UT, OK. St and OU back to back to back. 2009, Tech's defense went crazy in the sack yardage and 2010 was Tubberville's 1st season.

It could work but it's going to be rough outing. If anything positive about the networks for which I could be dead wrong, I am curious to know if Longhorn Network has picked up a lot of viewers since Baseball started. What I'm wondering is would College Baseball a relatively underdeveloped market for TV could become bigger?

Nobody watches the lhn because no one gets it. And only one conference has a large amount of baseball games on espn and it isn't the big12.

Viewership demand is not the problem with the lhn. Its getting the contracts worked out with cable and satellite providers. It will happen it's just going to take time

You've been spouting this #### for a year now. Didn't a major cable network just say no to it, while picking up every other ESPN channel?

Nobody watches the lhn because no one gets it. And only one conference has a large amount of baseball games on espn and it isn't the big12.

Well that goes that theory. I figured if any sport would benefit from the networks, it would be baseball.

Just matching yours H. See it really doesnt matter if you like my opinion or not. I think the LHN will eventually happen and I know you hope that it wont because you know the aggies will never have one. The LHN deals may never get worked out....hell I dont know. I just have a feeling that espn knows what they are doing and wouldnt have paid UT $300 MILLION if they didnt think it would work. Regardless, Texas made out like a bandit because they got paid. Aggies couldve got in on a little share of it but yall are too butthurt that you will always be second fiddle in this state.

Have fun getting your butts kicked in the SECSECSEC

Just matching yours H. See it really doesnt matter if you like my opinion or not. I think the LHN will eventually happen and I know you hope that it wont because you know the aggies will never have one. The LHN deals may never get worked out....hell I dont know. I just have a feeling that espn knows what they are doing and wouldnt have paid UT $300 MILLION if they didnt think it would work. Regardless, Texas made out like a bandit because they got paid. Aggies couldve got in on a little share of it but yall are too butthurt that you will always be second fiddle in this state.

Have fun getting your butts kicked in the SECSECSEC

I'm glad the embarrassment of your school's network only being available to 100 people is worth the money. Like I said earlier, not a single major cable/satellite company carries it. A&M will be on TV much more next year, especially the baseball team. Not sure what your last line has anything to do with this discussion, but then again look who I am talking to.

The only way college baseball for the big12 will make it on TV will be as a conference deal.

I'm glad the embarrassment of your school's network only being available to 100 people is worth the money. Like I said earlier, not a single major cable/satellite company carries it. A&M will be on TV much more next year, especially the baseball team. Not sure what your last line has anything to do with this discussion, but then again look who I am talking to.

The only way college baseball for the big12 will make it on TV will be as a conference deal.

I'm as disgusted as any UT fan that I can't watch the LHN. But let's be honest about the situation. The fact that it is not available has nothing to do with the university. It has everything to do with ESPN and what they want to market it. Texas is getting paid whether 100 or 10 million people have access to the network. Obviously, ESPN did not do their homework in regards to what satellite and cable companies were willing to do to offer such a network. Personally I'd pay $10 extra a month for the LHN, and that's how Dish and Direct TV should offer it; no different than how you pay for other premium channels.

I'm as disgusted as any UT fan that I can't watch the LHN. But let's be honest about the situation. The fact that it is not available has nothing to do with the university. It has everything to do with ESPN and what they want to market it. Texas is getting paid whether 100 or 10 million people have access to the network. Obviously, ESPN did not do their homework in regards to what satellite and cable companies were willing to do to offer such a network. Personally I'd pay $10 extra a month for the LHN, and that's how Dish and Direct TV should offer it; no different than how you pay for other premium channels.

The embarrassment comes from the school it is associated with. People see espn and ut as partners in the deal and everyone likes to spread the blame to anyone and.everyone.