Should Ron Washington be on the hot seat?

30 members have voted

1. 1. what say you?

• yes
    • no
    • not yet, but he better get the ship righted soon
    • never, he's the greatest manager evarrrr

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After two years of solid starting pitching with no significant injuries this year was bound to happen. We've had stretches so far where the offense has carried the pitching, the pitching has carried the offense and now both are slumping. Thats just baseball. We still have a 4 game lead in the West and we havent hit the Allstar break yet. Nothing to panic over yet. JD has shown he will go after what the team needs by the trade deadline. I dont see any reason to get rid of the best manager in Ranger history over a little slump.

He's not the one looking terrible at the plate right now or giving up 20+ runs in a game...there's only so much a manager can do or say. The players are the ones that should be held accountable for their play.

That's not much of an argument you've got there. I'm pretty sure none of the other managers in baseball are pitching or hitting either...

That's not much of an argument you've got there. I'm pretty sure none of the other managers in baseball are pitching or hitting either...

My point is, the media and fans are always quick to place blame on the manager. It's just like any other job or sport or school. If your boss, coach, teacher, or whoever tells you and shows you what exactly you need to be successful, and you don't do what they say, why is it their fault? They have done their job, you have not.

In football, if a wide receiver is told to run a post and he runs a flag, is it the coach's fault? No.

If your teacher tells you to type a report using Times New Roman font, size 12, and you use Comic Sans, and you fail said report, is it the teacher's fault? No.

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak medium rare and it comes out burnt to a crisp, is it your fault? No.

If the city of Longview put a sign up saying no left turn between 1pm - 7pm and you turn left at 3pm and get a ticket, is it the city's fault? No.

If you're paid millions of dollars to hit baseballs and you don't, why would it be anyone else's fault but your own?

You can't blame it on poor management when they're getting no hit late into ballgames or pitchers are giving up 8 runs an inning. That's not poor management, that's poorly played baseball.

My point is, the media and fans are always quick to place blame on the manager. It's just like any other job or sport or school. If your boss, coach, teacher, or whoever tells you and shows you what exactly you need to be successful, and you don't do what they say, why is it their fault? They have done their job, you have not.

In football, if a wide receiver is told to run a post and he runs a flag, is it the coach's fault? No.

If your teacher tells you to type a report using Times New Roman font, size 12, and you use Comic Sans, and you fail said report, is it the teacher's fault? No.

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak medium rare and it comes out burnt to a crisp, is it your fault? No.

If the city of Longview put a sign up saying no left turn between 1pm - 7pm and you turn left at 3pm and get a ticket, is it the city's fault? No.

If you're paid millions of dollars to hit baseballs and you don't, why would it be anyone else's fault but your own?

You can't blame it on poor management when they're getting no hit late into ballgames or pitchers are giving up 8 runs an inning. That's not poor management, that's poorly played baseball.

wtlobos I totally get your point and agree with what you're saying, but there are times when a manager or a coach don't make adjustments when a team is struggling for a long period of a time that the blame then has to be directed at the manager. Don't get me wrong I believe the Rangers are no different then any other team that have been going through a slump for about a week . I believe the Dodgers this past week lost like 6 out of 7, but you don't see anyone panicking, because they know thats happens in baseball.

Washington is far from being in the hot seat. But if the Rangers find themselves falling in the division, like 3rd or 4th, then everyone should be on the hot seat not just management, but unfortunately he will take the blunt of it, as he should since he is the leader of the team.

wtlobos I totally get your point and agree with what you're saying, but there are times when a manager or a coach don't make adjustments when a team is struggling for a long period of a time that the blame then has to be directed at the manager. Don't get me wrong I believe the Rangers are no different then any other team that have been going through a slump for about a week . I believe the Dodgers this past week lost like 6 out of 7, but you don't see anyone panicking, because they know thats happens in baseball.

Washington is far from being in the hot seat. But if the Rangers find themselves falling in the division, like 3rd or 4th, then everyone should be on the hot seat not just management, but unfortunately he will take the blunt of it, as he should since he is the leader of the team.

Totally agree. As the leader, he IS ultimately responsible. If not the case, then why pay to have a manager at all? The players could just run the show. RW has alot of control over what happens on the field....from in game adjustments, roster changes, personel additions/subtractions. I realize he doesn't actually play in the game, but a good manager is important to the success or failure of a ball club. Don't tell me Bobby Cox has had nothing to do with the fact that the Braves are a perrenial contender....even in years with marginal talent.

RW has been gifted arguably one of the most talented teams baseball has seen in years. The window of opportunity with this team won't last forever and imo nothing short of a World Series Championship is acceptable.

His butt should be getting a little warm given the way this team has played over the last month+. Hopefully it will cool down soon.

The MLB season is a long a grueling one, and it's although horse racing is usually over in 2 minutes, they are very similar. Ron Washington has led the Rangers to their only two World Series appearances in back to back years. If I were a Rangers fans, I wouldn't be calling him a Bobby Cox, yet. He has a very talented team on his hands, and I think they'll be in the postseason. I just hope the Yankees beat the Rangers in the postseason this year.

I would expect more understanding from Rangers fans when it comes to this team, than I've had patience with Jerry Jones and Tony Romo. The Rangers only came close to the promised land under Johnny Oates, and now you're doubting Ron. Some Cowboys fans doubt my fanhood of the Cowboys, because I don't believe in Tony Romo. Tony and Jerry haven't even been to the Super Bowl. The Rangers have been to two World Series. This does make me wonder what Buck Showalter could have done, if he would have been able to keep his Manager title with the little red shoes. He's done wonders in my opinion with the Orioles.

I haven't been a fan of Washington since he was busted on the cocaine.

Ditto that. I don't believe his admission about the facts either.

Dave, I try to follow your logic(which is difficult), but please don't bring Romo into this discussion. I'm sure people would love to blame him for the Rangers problems too lol.

Thanks for the responses on the topic, guys. I'm sure I've made it known I'm not a RW fan, and that is basically for his poor management of the WS last year. He totally @#%^# up game 6(and the series with it) and I will never be convinced otherwise.

He needs to get this team on the right track. He IS responsible, otherwise no point in paying him to manage the team. Like I said, anything less than a WS with this team is an utter failure.

I wish we could all get together and have a civil discussion about this topic at a local eating/drinking establishment ... I would chime in to this thread, but emotions creep in too much for my liking (I am guilty, too) & clouds social discourse. I think you guys know where I stand on this subject, anyway ;)

I wish we could all get together and have a civil discussion about this topic at a local eating/drinking establishment

I bet you would bring Ron Washington with you! :rolleyes:

Washington's two American League Championships in a row gets him through this season regardless of the Rangers record. Even a collapse could be argued as an anomaly after the success of the last two seasons.

Agreed. The whole thread alone is just silly. We've seen this before: Rangers play well, hit a slump then last 50 games they start tearing it up.

I bet you would bring Ron Washington with you! :rolleyes:

If he'd come, that would be GREAT! We could see how far message board bravery and armchair managing extends when you meet your object of vitriol face-to-face :D

If he'd come, that would be GREAT! We could see how far message board bravery and armchair managing extends when you meet your object of vitriol face-to-face :D

For some reason I don't believe Ron Washington brings out the fear in anyone. Now if you brought Josh that may change!

Like any manager, Ron Washington has his strengths and weaknesses.

For example, his strengths would include backing his players as well as establishing team chemistry. Now while those two qualities are great and needed in a leader, those alone will not win you championships (see the last two seasons!).

However, on the flip side of that, is his biggest weakness of all...He doesn't have a clue how to run a pitching rotation!!! And that has actually cost the Rangers games and more importantly, a Championship (see game 6 of the World Series last year)! He will leave a pitcher in even after giving up 5+ runs, 8+ runs, before he finally says, "oh wait, this is getting out of hand. I need to make a change". But other times he'll pull a guy for only giving up 2-3 runs after only 5 innings. It's like in these instances he's thinking "You know, I'm just not giving this team as much of a chance to beat us. Let's see what they can do if I put in someone that will spot them 8 runs".

And for everyone that continues to back him just because of the success the last two years, guess what, he's not the only one responsible for that. I'm pretty sure Jon Daniels and Nolan Ryan bringing in the players that have been and currently are on this team has a lot to do with it as well. Ron Washington's job is to then manage those players the best he can in order to win games. And as I've pointed out already with the pitching...many times he does a horrible job at that.

Once again, you can’t have it both ways - just as it is unfair to give him near-total credit for the Rangers? two consecutive pennants, it is EQUALLY unfair to keep beating the drum of pitching staff management blame solely in the direction of Ron Washington. I doubt he ever makes a decision without the counsel of Mike Maddux, Andy Hawkins and Jackie Moore . . . and PLEASE realize that there is plenty of blame to go around for Game 6. I really try to avoid cliches, but there is no better way to convey it: You win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.

Ron Washington RESPECTS the game of Baseball & his players love him - that is good enough for me.

Once again, you can’t have it both ways - just as it is unfair to give him near-total credit for the Rangers? two consecutive pennants, it is EQUALLY unfair to keep beating the drum of pitching staff management blame solely in the direction of Ron Washington. I doubt he ever makes a decision without the counsel of Mike Maddux, Andy Hawkins and Jackie Moore . . . and PLEASE realize that there is plenty of blame to go around for Game 6. I really try to avoid cliches, but there is no better way to convey it: You win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.

Ron Washington RESPECTS the game of Baseball & his players love him - that is good enough for me.

Hope 2nd place is good enough for you too. It's all we're getting as long as he's calling the shots.

And if you think the pitching changes during games includes anyone's say other than Washington, all I can say is...that's "not" how baseball go. Watch a game, see if he ever asks for Maddux's opinion.

But you are right about one thing, you can't have it both ways...You can't make the bad decisions he does during games and still expect to win. And we've seen that enough times for proof.

Hope 2nd place is good enough for you too. It's all we're getting as long as he's calling the shots.

You know this how ??? Crystal ball?? :D

Watch a game, see if he ever asks for Maddux's opinion.

I watch EVERY game, sir (I have a massive DVD-R collection to prove it)... and I notice that the camera is not always on Washington. They also have a pre-game meeting to play out situations - in the clubhouse - beyond cameras.

Like it, or not, guys - Washington has the blessings of Rangers management and players - he is not going anywhere... sorry.

Agreed. The whole thread alone is just silly. We've seen this before: Rangers play well, hit a slump then last 50 games they start tearing it up.

This times a thousand!

Wash makes some decisions that are headscratchers, but it's difficult to argue with the results.

Why are there so many questioning the Ranger's leadership when they are without a doubt a top 5 team in MLB? Makes me wonder if losing baseball is the only way some of you know how to play.

You know this how ??? Crystal ball?? :D

Why do I need a crystal ball? I have the last 2 years!

Like it, or not, guys - Washington has the blessings of Rangers management and players - he is not going anywhere... sorry.

Whether he has issues or not, this part is a very good thing. We don't need another Jerry Jones.