Eustace 6 Rusk 45

Malakoff 44 Kerens 36

Quitman 0 Toup 41

Grand Saline 6 Edgewood 29

Mineola 41 Winnsboro 21

Lone Oak 27 Caddo Mills 14

Kemp 6 Grace Community 57

District teams go 2 - 5.

Well, I am sitting here this morning in shock. I finally got to see Grand Saline play last night and thought that I was going to witness a close, competitive football game that the Indians would win by 12 points. Instead, I saw a disaster w/ the Indians not being able to do anything offensively. We were dominated up front with basically a three man rush. Now, I am not sure what we have. Defense played well at times but missed a lot of tackles. So, now as far as I am concerned, our team is like a box of chocolates....... On the positive, our kids play hard from start to finish. This was a hard loss to endure because it was Edgewood!!! Hats off to Simmons and his squad. Their play caused a lot of our problems. To add insult to injury, we lost two centers and I am not sure how those boys are this morning. I hope they're ok! Please, those of you that might respond to this post... don't call for the coaches' heads or massive changes to offense/personnel! One loss will only define our season if we allow it to. This is a young team, maybe not in grade level, but definitely in experience level, especially up front. Be positive and support the coaches and players as they go about making adjustments to make us successful!!!!

Then, I find out Winnsboro was beaten by Mineola. This was another game I was way off target. I thought that after the Tatum game, Winnsboro wouldn't lose again for awhile. Maybe they did too. It's 2A high school football and as in all divisions, that's why the games are played on the field and not on paper. I understand Tebbetts got banged up and hope that he's ok.

With Malakoff and Lone Oak winning this week I have to lean toward them as we get closer and closer to district play. But..... who knows? I still believe Winnsboro is for real and that Grand Saline has the potential to be the same. If that happens, we should be in for one heck of a district race!!

What are your thoughts?

I think that it will depend on how long Tebbets has to sit out. If he gets healthy and the boys want it badly enough then I think that the district will come down to them and Malakoff. From what I read on another board, Lone Oak is down from what they have been in the past years. Eustace could be a contender also. Do not know much about them.

Said all that to say this, I think that the district race is wide open. Who ever wins it will have to play a representative from District 8. That would be either NB,Daingerfield,and who ever else makes the playoffs. Does not look good for this district unless things change over the next 8 weeks.

Right now I am concerned about the Mount Vernon game and our QB.

• 2 weeks later...

Week #3

Eustace 24 Castleberry (Ft Worth, TX) 42

Malakoff 30 Westwood (Palestine, TX) 34

Quitman 0 Mineola 26

Grand Saline 20 Kerens 52

Winnsboro 7 Mt Vernon 42

Lone Oak 42 Chisum (Paris, TX) 14

Kemp 7 Mabank 31

District teams go 1 - 6 this week

I read on another post that Kerens had a lot of turnovers against Edgewood and someone else warned that if Kerens cleaned that up it would be a long night for Grand Saline. That statement was very true. Yes Kerens is 1A and yes they have lost some games, but they are young and athletic with speed, which makes them very dangerous. I will be interested to see how their season turns out.

Grand Saline gave up way too many big plays defensively. Again this week, our players had opportunities to make plays but couldn't make the initial tackle which shows me that our coach's defensive game plan going in is good. We have to make the initial tackle and right now we're losing some 1 on 1's and getting blocked at the second level which allows runners to get loose for big plays.

Offensively, we just couldn't close the deal. I will say this. Some of our offensive failures were assisted by questionable calls AT BEST that did not go our way. Of the 13 - 15 calls I am referring to, EVERY ONE OF THEM went against us! Now before someone accuses us Indians of whining about officiating, please read my previous posts! I do not believe that the officials can be blamed for this loss. I do however like to think that percentages would dictate that if there are 14 calls that could swing to either side, we would at least get 4 or 5. In this game, we got zero. It was not just holding penalties or blocks in the back either. It was touchdowns and drive killers. Again, I am not expecting perfection; just an equal number of mistakes/correct calls going to both sides! I do want to clarify that I believe that in this particular game the officials did affect Grand Saline's ability to win. I also want to restate what I wrote previously, if Grand Saline made the defensive stops we should have, I probably would not have even mentioned the officiating. If that makes me a homer then so be it.

I want to point out one more thing, before I move on, about my Indians. These losses have covered up a significant development w/in our locker room that needs mentioning. These kids are giving 100% effort the entire game!! Two players, Jake Bennett (JR) and Brian Davis (SR), were asked this week to move to the offensive line to help us up front after playing running backs their ENTIRE football careers and did not blink at the request. Two more players, Ethan O'Donnell and Kyle Walker, were asked do the same thing in the very beginning and stepped up to the challenge. We may not be the most athletic, have the most talent or list the most players on the program but these boys are a team and they play hard! I have watched the last 4 or 5 years of Indian football and can say with no hesitation this has not always been the case. Ludlow and his staff have our kids playing together and fighting together to win games. I, for one, as disappointing as these last two losses have been, can say that it is refreshing to see that changes are occuring. Who knows if we can eliminate the mistakes, make tackles and win the rest of the way? I don't. I can, with confidence, say that whoever walks on the field in a Grand Saline football uniform is going to be committed to the team and give everything they have to help us win. Just ask Kerens or Edgewood either one! With the score already lopsided at the half in both games, neither team was afforded the luxury of playing an Indian team that had given up! That makes the game fun to watch!!!

The district really took it on the chin this week with Lone Oak being the "Lone" winner. Winnsboro dropped another (Tebbets out is a MAJOR factor w/ the offense they run) and no one else could pull out the win either.

I say Grand Saline (this will be an unpopular pick) beats Malakoff and Winnsboro beats Quitman, both righting the ship as the first week of district games start. Eustace beats Kemp and Lone Oak takes the week off. Come on Friday night!

What do you think?

I'll hold my breath on that one. If we can win that game somehow we have the unwashed masses known as Quitman for Homecoming the next week and the guys will be FIRED UP for that game. I love the Quitman/GS rivalry. It's so much fun to hate another town and school so much and know that they hate you just as much. Makes me so very happy just thinking about it. :D

I'll hold my breath on that one. If we can win that game somehow we have the unwashed masses known as Quitman for Homecoming the next week and the guys will be FIRED UP for that game. I love the Quitman/GS rivalry. It's so much fun to hate another town and school so much and know that they hate you just as much. Makes me so very happy just thinking about it. :D

I would say your are 3rd if not 4th on our rivalry list.. We only care about GS for about 5 days, the rest of the time we could care less. Glad to know we are important to y'all and look forward to ruining your homecoming! 😉

Come on, you hate us and you know it. : ) Don't worry, the feeling is oh so mutual. I dated a girl from Quitman and when her friends found out I was from GS all they did was try to start something. We had to be taken out of the gym by Wood County Sheriffs for two straight years after basketball games were over because they had heard "the students might do something." That is what makes it so great. We never have that against Van or Edgewood and I would say they are number 1 and 2 in our rivalry. We may not have the length, but as far as pure hate and nastiness, I think Grand Saline/Quitman matches anything I have ever been a part of.

hoosierdady may I assume that you would agree with me when I say that the 2004 game between GS and Quitman was one of the best, maybe the best, in the entire series? It's one of the best I have ever seen PERIOD. GS could have notched a tie for third and somehow made the playoffs with a win and then beating Alba the next week and you guys were undefeated and clinched district with the win. GS runs out to a big lead, Quitman catches up and takes the lead, GS comes back, gets the ball back and on 4th and goal we have to go for a TD (a field goal does us no good) and our Receiever DROPS the game winner. Disappointing, but that was a fantastic game. Glad to have been there.

Week #4 (District Week #1)

Grand Saline 12 Malakoff 40

Winnsboro 42 Quitman 28

Eustace 45 Kemp 0

Lone Oak Bye

Grand Saline cannot make a stop on defense and is not much better offensively. Quitman scored more on Winnsboro than I thought they would which tells me they are getting better. Eustace did what I thought they would.

Malakoff vs Eustace Friday niight renewal of old rivalry that has not been played in a few years even though schools are only 10 miles apart

The winner is 2-0 and in good shape

It's also Eustace homecoming and should be a huge crowd and a electric atmosphere

Malakoff vs Eustace Friday niight renewal of old rivalry that has not been played in a few years even though schools are only 10 miles apart

The winner is 2-0 and in good shape

It's also Eustace homecoming and should be a huge crowd and a electric atmosphere

Think you're right. Who do you think will win it? I am thinking Malakoff at this point but really don't know much about Eustace. I feel like homecoming can be a big distraction for players. Although, it sure didn't bother Kerens against us.