Texas Voter ID Stuck Down

Wild74

One of the good things about living in a small town when you vote most of the poll workers know who you are. In a big city you can walk in say I am Joe Blow and vote if you don't have to show a ID. That is not how it is in Texas right now but seems to be working in that direction.

Come again? What section?

Researching it, I am actually misread it however interesting enough here is the actual TPC:

"Texas does not require a detainee to identify himself unless he has been lawfully arrested, but does make it a crime to provide a false name. Texas Penal Code § 38.02 reads, in relevant part,"

(b) A person commits an offense if he intentionally gives a false or fictitious name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has:

(1) lawfully arrested the person;

(2) lawfully detained the person; or

(3) requested the information from a person that the peace officer has good cause to believe is a witness to a criminal offense.

With that being said, some states do hold "stop and identify" statues in which you must show identity or you will be arrested and fined.

In Texas, you're required to truthfully identify yourself - although you don't have to display any type of written identification. The offense is commonly called "Fail to Identify".

Of course, if you're driving, you do have to have your driver's license in your possession and display it.

In Texas, you're required to truthfully identify yourself - although you don't have to display any type of written identification. The offense is commonly called "Fail to Identify".

Of course, if you're driving, you do have to have your driver's license in your possession and display it.

Only in the circumstances accurately described above by DLINE06.

I would gladly donate a couple of days time to shuttle folks from a church or old folks home or neighborhood center to Drivers license office. Would make sense to help them, as they would have I.D. If DL is out of question, a Texas I.D costs what, $10? I would plead with churches, civic groups to help with costs. I betcha, I would not have many takers.

Federal Court Strikes Down Texas Voter ID Law

Semi-News/Semi-Satire ^ | 1 Sep 2012 | John Semmens

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:46:37 PM by John Semmens

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit invalidated the Texas voter ID law on the grounds that “it would have a disparate effect on minorities.”

Writing for the Court, David Tatel pointed out that “the photo requirement is a heavier burden for both Blacks and Hispanics. Blacks are disproportionately in trouble with law enforcement authorities. Forcing them to identify themselves at the polls could increase the chances they could be arrested on outstanding warrants. Many Hispanics, on the other hand, are in the country illegally. Forcing them to identify themselves exposes them to the risk of deportation. It is obvious that the Texas voter ID burdens inflicted on these minority groups exceed those imposed on whites. The law is unequal in its effects and, therefore, invalid.”

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said he will appeal the panel’s ruling calling it “wrong on the law” and maintained that “it improperly prevents Texas from implementing the same type of ballot integrity safeguards that are employed by Georgia and Indiana — and were upheld by the US Supreme Court.”

Tatel rejected Abbott’s argument saying that “the desire for so-called ballot integrity cannot be permitted to override the human rights of protected minorities. Democracy rests on the consent of the governed. Inasmuch as wanted criminals and undocumented persons are, in fact, governed, they have a right not to be intimidated from taking part in the process of choosing their rulers.”