Carthage Scoreboard

tuffenough

this may have already been discussed, but i havent found a topic about it. but carthage made national news today... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577621510838314638.html

$750,000 for a scoreboard? sounds like theyre either completely oblivious to the fact that we're in a pretty weak economy, or the school board just frankly doesnt care about the taxpayers... i mean dont get me wrong- i know that theyll be proud now that its here, but i would have liked to hear the nutjob that first presented this idea, and then the other nutjobs that supported it lol. unless of course there was a very generous donation to pick up the tab... any thoughts? or does anyone even care?

If I remember correctly from previous post and discussions, the cost was / is being covered by Corp. sponsorships and Advertiseing.

this may have already been discussed, but i havent found a topic about it. but carthage made national news today... http://online.wsj.co...0838314638.html

$750,000 for a scoreboard? sounds like theyre either completely oblivious to the fact that we're in a pretty weak economy, or the school board just frankly doesnt care about the taxpayers... i mean dont get me wrong- i know that theyll be proud now that its here, but i would have liked to hear the nutjob that first presented this idea, and then the other nutjobs that supported it lol. unless of course there was a very generous donation to pick up the tab... any thoughts? or does anyone even care?

i gotcha. i can see that being part of "the pitch", but if they passed a bond in order to purchase it, i dont think those sponsorships and advertisements are going to cover much of that cost. but who knows? people in east texas are pretty crazy/serious about their football. they may see more donations than ever before.

It was a bond proposal that the community voted on a passed by over 70%. You may not agree with it, but that's what the community wanted.

hey if thats what the community wants, more power to them. i guess they just still have a lot more of that oil/gas money floating around than most town do.

i voted against the scoreboard, but i must confess i voted out of ignorance.  i too thought it was an insane amount to spend until i found out after the vote that, as i understand it now, the money, if not spent, would have to be sent to austin.

someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

i voted against the scoreboard, but i must confess i voted out of ignorance.  i too thought it was an insane amount to spend until i found out after the vote that, as i understand it now, the money, if not spent, would have to be sent to austin.

It's the "Robin Hood" Law. Take from the rich and give to the poor. If a school district don't use their tax dollars, it is given to a poorer school for use.

<br />It's the "Robin Hood" Law.  Take from the rich and give to the poor.  If a school district don't use their tax dollars, it is given to a poorer school for use.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

that's the way i understood it...the first year of our new stadium was the first year after i'd move back to carthage. i was told there was some controversy about the cost of the stadium as well. what i do know is that a mere 2 years later, the stadium was paid for.

i voted against the scoreboard, but i must confess i voted out of ignorance. i too thought it was an insane amount to spend until i found out after the vote that, as i understand it now, the money, if not spent, would have to be sent to austin.

You are correct. If not spent locally the money goes to Austin where the left can use it for their liberal based education or the right can push for a private or charter school education for all. Congratulations to Carthage for keeping the money in house.