Billy Clyde

topher805

BCG looks to be having a rough run of things in Lubbock. He is currently hospitalized for high blood pressure, and his players are looking to get rid of him.

The players are complaining about treatment and practice hours. It's no secret that his boot camp is notoriously brutal, and it almost ran Acie Law off the team at A&M, but it does work.

Sounds to me like Tech basketball won't be turning the corner anyone soon.

BCG looks to be having a rough run of things in Lubbock. He is currently hospitalized for high blood pressure, and his players are looking to get rid of him.

The players are complaining about treatment and practice hours. It's no secret that his boot camp is notoriously brutal, and it almost ran Acie Law off the team at A&M, but it does work.

Sounds to me like Tech basketball won't be turning the corner anyone soon.

Seems kind of odd that he went into the hospital last Friday - the same day he was to meet with the AD over the player allegations. And he has yet to give any kind of comment.

I've seen a boot-camp practice of his before first-hand. Stuff was RIDICULOUSLY hard and made you gut check yourself from the very first 10 seconds. However, it does make you better as a player and benefits you in the long run.

Acie himself even said it made him a great player and he was just being a baby because he wasn't used to being pushed that hard every day. I, for one, wish more coaches had this aspect. It would make little pre-madonna's that we see most of the time start acting way differently.

I'm all for that, but he made a guy with two stress fractures practice for so long that he started crying during practice. That does not make you a better basketball player.

He did great things for A&M, but since then I think he has gone off the rocker.

I'm all for that, but he made a guy with two stress fractures practice for so long that he started crying during practice. That does not make you a better basketball player.

He did great things for A&M, but since then I think he has gone off the rocker.

Yeah, definitely didn't read that portion of the story. I missed that part.

To be fair, the reports of mistreatment are only allegations at this point. And it can be tricky to draw a line between abuse and tough coaching. However, BCG did receive a reprimand back in January for confirmed violation of NCAA practice time limits. And presumably, was put on a short leash.

It doesn't look good for BCG.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20052645/more-trouble-for-gillispie-as-allegations-of-mistreatment-surface

More trouble for Gillispie as allegations of mistreatment surface

As Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie remains in a hospital room with his coaching career in jeopardy, allegations continue to surface about his mistreatment of players, coaches and others in the Red Raiders program.

Sources close to the Texas Tech program told CBSSports.com that Gillispie reneged on several promises to coaches, kept players in scholarship limbo, causing them to miss opportunities and money, and also practiced injured players so severely that they openly wept in practice.

Calls to both Gillispie and Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt have not been returned. According to a hospital spokesperson at the University Medical Center, Gillispie remained a patient as of Tuesday night. Gillispie's Tulsa-based attorney Stuart Campbell told CBSSports.com that he would attempt to contact his client when reached Tuesday afternoon, but he had no immediate comment on the allegations.

Fifteen players have already left the program prematurely since he took over in March of 2011, with the most recent being highly regarded recruit Wannah Bail, a native of the Bahamas who didn't return after the first summer school session. Bail's summer coach, Terrul Henderson, told CBSSports.com that Bail's departure had nothing to do with academics -- as had been speculated.

"It was because of Gillispie," a source close to the program said. "He couldn't deal with him."

More on Gillispie

Ex-players allege Gillispie broke practice rules

Gillispie hospitalized; players meet with AD

Bail is just one of approximately 30 bodies that have turned over since Gillispie got the job. There was a lengthy list that bolted a year ago, shortly after Gillispie took over, including secretary Leslie Hartline, assistant coach Chris Beard, trainer John Murray, video coordinator Jason Imes, graduate assistants Sean McCurdy and Colby Huseman, student manager Cooper Schmidt and academic advisor Marlon Dechausay. That's not it, either. Gillispie has gone through a pair of strength coaches already and two directors of basketball operations.

Former Indiana guard Tom Coverdale quit his job at Tyler Junior College after being promised an assistant coaching spot under Gillispie. Just days before he was set to arrive, Gillispie told Coverdale the job was actually an assistant strength position that paid about half as much as the initial spot. Gillispie also promised former junior college coach Matt Eisele a job, according to numerous sources, but then pulled the offer. Renard Phillips spent three months out in Lubbock having virtually no idea of his job responsibilities, sources told CBSSports.com, before he left to take a high school job back in the D.C. area. Former assistant coach Jeff Kidder departed this past summer for a high school job in Kentucky. Multiple other coaches have told CBSSports.com that they have been led to believe they had a job offer from Gillispie, only to be led on through the process without a formal offer.

Former players have come out and told CBSSports.com that Gillispie broke NCAA rules by not adhering to practice limits. He once went eight hours in a single day. NCAA rules stipulate you can't practice more than four hours per day or 20 hours per week.

"We practiced a lot more than 20 hours a week," former guard Kevin Wagner told CBSSports.com.

"We used to go more than four hours all the time," added Jaron Nash, who transferred to North Dakota after last season. "I remember that day when we went almost all day. We didn't leave until 9 p.m. or so. It was pretty bad. A lot of guys were really hurt after it. One guy had a stress fracture in both legs."

One source identified that player as African native Kader Tapsoba, who did not play last season while dealing with multiple stress fractures.

"He was literally crying at practice," said the source, who was with the program last season. "He couldn't even run and Gillispie had him running up and down the steps at the arena. I remember the doctor getting the X-rays back and coming to practice and telling Gillispie it was really bad. He'd just ice him up and tell him to go practice."

"He shouldn't have been practicing," he added. "But he bullied everyone, including the trainer. He'd make the trainer make kids come back. Bodies were dropping like flies. One day I walked in and the whole team was in the training room. All the players and even the managers. He'd make them practice."

The team's star player, Jordan Tolbert, cut his hand on the rim one day last year in practice and suffered a four-inch gash across his fingers. The next day, according to one source, Gillispie had the trainer bandage his hand and then instructed Tolbert to dunk the ball every time he caught it.

Gillispie left two Canadian players, Ty Nurse and Dejan Kravic, in scholarship limbo this past summer. According to multiple sources, he wouldn't tell either one whether he was renewing their scholarships yet when they wanted to go home to Canada after summer school ended, he made it clear that if they left, they could not return. Both players had purchased flights home for about $1,000 and wound up having to absorb the cost in fear of not being able to return to Lubbock.

One source said that Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters, strength coaches and assistant coaches.

"If we fumbled the ball, slipped or shot it with the wrong hand, he'd make us run the steps of the arena," the source said. "He got a big kick out of it, but it was demeaning for us as grown men."

The current players have met with the administration and are fed up with Gillispie's antics. None will comment on the record in fear of having to deal with Gillispie in the future.

"It's been festering since last year," one source said of the current player revolt of sorts. "The players are tired of it."

Gillispie checked himself into an area hospital last Friday for what he told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal felt like a "stroke" or a "heart attack." He told the newspaper he has been dealing with stress of late and was listed in satisfactory condition over the weekend.

A university spokesman told CBSSports.com that the school is "aware and are looking into concerns within the leadership of our men's basketball program."

I actually know one of those guys so hopefully i'll know more. Billy G's on thin ice.

He's out of the hospital now, so it'll get interesting pretty soon.

I think he's done for. If Tech fires him and this stuff is true, his career is over. He'd be lucky to get a JC job somewhere.

I agree

I agree

Way worse than I thought. I think BCG is up a serious creek without a paddle. I don't know what happens to him from here on out, but I think he may end up in a commentators booth somewhere.

Maybe him and Bobby Knight can call a few Tech games together next year for the mothership...

I listened to an idiotic rant on the radio yesterday on my way home from work.

The premise of the rant was that the players were whiners and the Tech administration should be fired for hiring BCG, knowing his background and now they are thinking about firing him BEFORE HE EVER COACHED A GAME AT TECH with 0 players that he recruited.

Sorry, but if you are going to rant, at least read more than a headline. BCG went 8-23 last year at Tech, he was already reprimanded by the NCAA in January and it goes a little beyond whining. 2 of his recruits last year were from TJC with 1 of them being the one made to run with stress fractures.

I've got to invest in XM radio.

• 2 weeks later...

I think honestly that is best for Tech moving forward. From what I've/heard it has been a rough go in Lubbock for BCG but enough is enough.I would assume the Tech AD gave him an ultimatum but I wonder who will be the interim coach? I'm sure the Tech alumni and boosters are #### off. At the state tournament the year before we Saw BCG at a local waterhole in Austin. We were talking about in drum and a few gentlemen from behind us interrupted us and said " Yeah, he better not be drinking again. I just donated 1 Million to the university to get him on campus." Whether that was true or not I do not know but I do know they are hungry for good sports in Lubbock and will open their pocket books to win.

Billy Gillispie resigns as Texas Tech coach

A tumultuous one-season tenure as Texas Tech men's basketball coach ended Thursday when Billy Gillispie submitted his resignation.

Chris O'Meara, AP

Athletics director Kirby Hocutt said Gillispie's letter cited health reasons.

"Billy has decided to focus on his health, and we wish him a full recovery," Hocutt said in a news release on the school's athletics website. "We are proud of the young men he has brought to this campus. Billy's decision allows him to concentrate on his well-being and allows us to turn our attention to preparations for the upcoming season."

The Red Raiders were 8-23 overall, 1-17 in the Big 12, in Gillispie's lone season as

successor to Pat Knight. The school said Gillispie will be paid for the rest of his contract, which runs through April 30, 2013.

Gillispie, 52, had been on indefinite medical leave since Sept. 10. He spent parts of four days last week at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., returning to Lubbock, Texas, last Friday. He texted the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal that he was seeking treatment for high blood pressure and stress "amongst other things."

Before Gillispie left for the Mayo Clinic on Sept. 11, Hocutt said he had told the coach he was not to be involved with the program "in any way" until they had a face-to-face meeting. It isn't clear if that meeting ever took place.

Gillispie's tenure in Lubbock began to unravel last month when CBSSports.com and ESPN.com, citing several former players, reported the coach regularly violated NCAA practice-time rules and mistreated players to the point of causing injury.

The school announced Aug. 31 that it was looking into the alleged mistreatment. Earlier that day and hours before he was to meet with Hocutt, Gillispie called 911 and was taken to a Lubbock hospital, where he spent six days. He later told the Avalanche-Journal he thought he was having a heart attack or a stroke.

Early this month Hocutt announced that the school had reprimanded Gillispie in January for exceeding practice-time limits the previous fall. The letter included language that there would be "no tolerance for disregard of rules," Hocutt told the Associated Press.

The school penalized itself for the overage, docking twice the number of hours that Gillispie had exceeded during a two-week period in October, or 12 hours and 20 minutes. An unidentified assistant coach was also reprimanded.

The NCAA allows 20 hours of practice a week.

Assistant Chris Walker was placed in charge of day-to-day operations of the team when Gillispie went on leave. The school said Thursday that Walker will stay in that position until an interim head coach "has been identified."

Gillispie is 148-108 in eight seasons overall, including two at Texas-El Paso, three at Texas A&M and two at Kentucky.

He had been out of coaching for two seasons when he was hired by Texas Tech on March 20, 2011.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab...ach/57815106/1

I think honestly that is best for Tech moving forward. From what I've/heard it has been a rough go in Lubbock for BCG but enough is enough.I would assume the Tech AD gave him an ultimatum but I wonder who will be the interim coach? I'm sure the Tech alumni and boosters are #### off. At the state tournament the year before we Saw BCG at a local waterhole in Austin. We were talking about in drum and a few gentlemen from behind us interrupted us and said " Yeah, he better not be drinking again. I just donated 1 Million to the university to get him on campus." Whether that was true or not I do not know but I do know they are hungry for good sports in Lubbock and will open their pocket books to win.

Incredible that the TTech administration were so lenient with a proven rules-breaker (even paying the rest of the salary on Billy Clyde's contract!!!), but they fired Leach and scr ewed him out of his money, reneging on his contract, simply because of back-room politics!

That TTech administration sure is consistent, aren't they??? :rolleyes:dry.gif What a bunch of jokers...

Incredible that the TTech administration were so lenient with a proven rules-breaker (even paying the rest of the salary on Billy Clyde's contract!!!), but they fired Leach and scr ewed him out of his money, reneging on his contract, simply because of back-room politics!

That TTech administration sure is consistent, aren't they??? :rolleyes:dry.gif What a bunch of jokers...

Blame Craig James! Hah

There's a difference:

Leach was FIRED. Gillespie RESIGNED since the AD could not fire him while he had the health issues.

And Leach screwed himself out of his own money.