Frank's Guide to Talkin' Smack

franksnbeans

Caveat: I do not (in any way, shape or form) claim to be the best smack talker around. In fact, for the most part, I prefer to stick with the facts rather than engage in smack talk prior to the game. There is, of course, the occasional exception like Gilmer-Daingerfield week that brings out the smack talker inside of me.

But, smack talk is a huge part of SDC. Love it or Hate it, it's a part of this website. With that being said, I thought I would relay a few pointers I have learned over the years that may make your smack talk both more effective and more entertaining.

1. The first rule of fight club....(oops, wrong list).

1. The first thing to remember is: "If you are going to dish it out, you better be ready to take it." There is nothing worse than a poster that talks smack about his team's opponent and then gets his feelings hurt when a fan of the opposing team fires back. People start calling each other names and it just disintegrates from there.

2. Secondly, and maybe even more importantly, never, ever put down the players. That's just bush league, disrespectful and just plain dumb. If I were an administrator (which thankfully I am not) there would be an absolute zero tolerance policy when it comes to this. You do it, you're gone.

3. Third, don't fire off something stupid like predicting a 55-0 blowout when you know that will never happen. Wait for one of the posters supporting the other team to post something stupid and then hammer them. Keep bringing it up and banging them over the head with it. If you fire off something stupid first, it just makes you look...... well... stupid.

4. Pick your spots. Be strategic with your smack talk. If all you do is talk smack constantly it just becomes white noise after a while. Nothing better than a zinger out of left field.

5. Use humor. For some folks this comes very natural. Nobody in the history of SDC has done it better than the legendary JAKEBRAKE. He is a natural. The Bo Jackson of smack talk if you will. His greatest asset, humor. He can rip you a new one, talk bad about your mama and give you a cyber-wedgie all while making you smile. When he insults you or your team, you come away with a strong urge to thank him. Aspire to this and the world will be a better place.

6. Never make it personal. Have fun, talk trash, be self-deprecating, but don't be serious. It's all in fun. You should never take it personal. See any Gilmer-Daingerfield thread over the last five years for an example of how it's done the right way.

7. Talk smack before the game, not after. If you want to talk smack, before the game is the time to do it, not after the game. Nobody likes a Johnny Come Lately that didn't have the cajones to jump on a thread before the game but wants to get on after the game and try to rub someone's nose is a loss. If you weren't around before the game, don't bother showing up after the game.

8. Always eat your crow. If you talked smack all week before the game, have the jewels to show up after the game and pay your respects. and Don't pull the "I'm not that impressed" card after your team gets beat. Eat your crow. Nobody cares if you were impressed.

9. Be creative. Come on man. Don't keep posting the same tired, old smack. Find something different and entertaining, even if you have to make it up. (Except for 1937, that never gets old. JK)

10. And finally, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU TRY TO TALK SMACK. There is not an easier target than the newb or the stooge who pops off about something and gets the facts wrong. It's one of those EPIC FAIL moments. If you're not sure about something, spend the extra time and find out for sure or just forget it. But, don't get it wrong. It's ok to remind them they've never won a championship (but make sure it's true first).

Please feel free to add to the list. These are but a few of the tips I've learned over the years, by no means is this an exhaustive list.

Enjoy

Caveat: I do not (in any way, shape or form) claim to be the best smack talker around. In fact, for the most part, I prefer to stick with the facts rather than engage in smack talk prior to the game. There is, of course, the occasional exception like Gilmer-Daingerfield week that brings out the smack talker inside of me.

But, smack talk is a huge part of SDC. Love it or Hate it, it's a part of this website. With that being said, I thought I would relay a few pointers I have learned over the years that may make your smack talk both more effective and more entertaining.

1. The first thing to remember is: "If you are going to dish it out, you better be ready to take it." There is nothing worse than a poster that talks smack about his team's opponent and then gets his feelings hurt when a fan of the opposing team fires back. People start calling each other names and it just disintegrates from there.

2. Secondly, and maybe even more importantly, never, ever put down the players. That's just bush league, disrespectful and just plain dumb. If I were an administrator (which thankfully I am not) there would be an absolute zero tolerance policy when it comes to this. You do it, you're gone.

3. Third, don't fire off something stupid like predicting a 55-0 blowout when you know that will never happen. Wait for one of the posters supporting the other team to post something stupid and then hammer them. Keep bringing it up and banging them over the head with it. If you fire off something stupid first, it just makes you look...... well... stupid.

4. Pick your spots. Be strategic with your smack talk. If all you do is talk smack constantly it just becomes white noise after a while. Nothing better than a zinger out of left field.

5. Use humor. For some folks this comes very natural. Nobody in the history of SDC has done it better than the legendary JAKEBRAKE. He is a natural. The Bo Jackson of smack talk if you will. His greatest asset, humor. He can rip you a new one, talk bad about your mama and give you a syber-wedgie all while making you smile. When he insults you or your team, you come away with a strong urge to thank him. Aspire to this and the world will be a better place.

6. Never make it personal. Have fun, talk trash, be self-deprecating, but don't be serious. It's all in fun. You should never take it personal. See any Gilmer-Daingerfield thread over the last five years for an example of how it's done the right way.

7. Talk smack before the game, not after. If you want to talk smack, before the game is the time to do it, not after the game. Nobody likes a Johnny Come Lately that didn't have the cajones to jump on a thread before the game but wants to get on after the game and try to rub someone's nose is a loss. If you weren't around before the game, don't bother showing up after the game.

8. Always eat your crow. If you talked smack all week before the game, have the jewels to show up after the game and pay your respects. and Don't pull the "I'm not that impressed" card after your team gets beat. Eat your crow. Nobody cares if you were impressed.

9. Be creative. Come on man. Don't keep posting the same tired, old smack. Find something different and entertaining, even if you have to make it up. (Except for 1937, that never gets old. JK)

10. And finally, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU TRY TO TALK SMACK. There is not an easier target than the newb or the stooge who pops off about something and gets the facts wrong. It's one of those EPIC FAIL moments. If you're not sure about something, spend the extra time and find out for sure or just forget it. But, don't get it wrong. It's ok to remind them they've never won a championship (but make sure it's true first).

Please feel free to add to the list. These are but a few of the tips I've learned over the years, by no means is this an exhaustive list.

Enjoy

I got lost at caveat.

Uh I think you need to add in there somewhere to the newbies that only stick to the tread about your opponent and you. Don't come over on another game thread and start it. I believe my son call's that poaching. Start your own thread. Leave that one for the game at hand. Nothing wrong with being proud of your team just keep it between the two teams. The only exception is what town is going against Celina or Longview.

10. And finally, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU TRY TO TALK SMACK. There is not an easier target than the newb or the stooge who pops off about something and gets the facts wrong. It's one of those EPIC FAIL moments.If you're not sure about something, spend the extra time and find out for sure or just forget it. But, don't get it wrong. It's ok to remind them they've never won a championship (but make sure it's true first).

ca·ve·at : A warning or caution

5. Use humor. For some folks this comes very natural. Nobody in the history of SDC has done it better than the legendary JAKEBRAKE. He is a natural. The Bo Jackson of smack talk if you will. His greatest asset, humor. He can rip you a new one, talk bad about your mama and give you a syber-wedgie all while making you smile. When he insults you or your team, you come away with a strong urge to thank him. Aspire to this and the world will be a better place.

Enjoy

........ you misspelled CYBER-WEDGIE.... smh......rolleyes.gif

rule 5.