Strange Traditions

JesseJames

I've worn the same ratty 10 year old tennis shoes to every Joaquin game this year. I also started off wearing the same new Ram "No Excuses" T-shirt, but had to pull out one of the old ones for the Hemphill game because the new one got lost in the laundry. I sweated the entire game.

not to sound all Holy Roller and what not, but I only ever pray for our kids safety. I dont hold any traditions. being from tenaha, and considering what we' ve experienced, i pray for our kids.

Folks need to realize just how dangerous this sport we love is. Every time our kids run out on that field, they face the possibilty of death and or permanent injury. And they do it for us. Just remember that.

Well said and well focused. We need to remember that and keep all things in context. It would come as no surprise that a lot of people quietly say that prayer before each game, including coaches. I worked on staffs with coaches who lost kids. Understandably, they were never the same. One in particular kneeled and said a prayer by the sideline before he even set foot on the field on Friday night. And you are very correct when you say that we should keep these things in mind. If winning was all there was to a football program, you couldn't justify the potential costs. Football is a contact sport and with all contact sports there is a certain amount of risk. At any given time a young person could be seriously injured or even killed. With that being the case, there has got to be more to the sport than just a scoreboard. Football is in the educational system for a reason; and it is more than who comes out ahead on a given Friday night. If that is the only reason we compete, then there is but one lesson to learn; and if there is only one lesson to learn, then it has no purpose in the educational process. To God be the glory.

I always tip my hat to our flag at the end of our National Anthem, and have given my sons two hand motions before the game. I twirl my index fingers in a clockwise pattern (Run your motor) and place my right fist over my heart (Play with heart). The hand signals are a silly tradition to let them know I am there for them and to give their team their best effort. Roll On Dogs!

I just thank GOD for his divine grace, that he allowed me to watch my son play . As a toddler he contacted a disease that was killing adults and children at an alarming rate , and amputations were the normal procedure in its survivors

The last thing our small town country doctor told his mother and I , as they were putting him on the helicopter was ( he may not survive the flight to Dallas ) do you mind if I pray for your boy, I've done all I can and its in gods hands now.

Thank you doc and thank you Lord.

My son and I bumped fists on our hearts, and when he turned away I would look up to heaven with a tear in my eye and say THANK YOU GOD

God granted me the pleasure of coaching my own son …of all the things I enjoyed about my two decades of coaching, it was my greatest thrill (although he might remember it differently since it always seemed I was on his case and held him to a higher standard of expectations). I wouldn't trade it for the world. Now he's the head coach and I struggle sometimes with people being critical of him … often it's hard to be objective about your own kids cause you know what they're made of on the inside … but I try my best to keep my mouth shut - he's a man and he can handle on his own and over the years, he watched and learned that it's part of the job (but he knows when push comes to shove, I always got his back). For as long as I remember, the hand signals we had is POINT TO HEART, POINT TO HEAD. Still today, he can be all the way across the field, he'll see me and nod … I'll point to heart and head … and he'll grin. He knows … and he lives by the creed - Heart (love) for the kids, head in the game. His coaching mother (rest her soul) is very proud, too. It don't get any better than that.

Those have been some awesome posts,,, I'm so thankful for people who aren't afraid to mention their faith and trust in God for things like this. I always pray for the kids safety before the game as well. I am far past having a kid playing the game,, but was always concerned for my son that did. I just had faith that God would keep him safe.

As for anything "traditionally silly" that I do,,, I've worn the same shirt for several years now. It's shortsleeve,, so when it's colder,, I still wear it 'under' something warmer. I had been pretty careful about wearing the same hat as well. But it was in need of a friend, gettin' a little ragged,, lol so this year I bought a knew one. I have to admit, that it's still getting broken in. And after all these late game comebacks,, It's really having to work hard to do it's good luck job,,, but so far so good. One thing I've always done, is carry two Buckeyes in my pocket to every game,,, but this year, I have missed a couple of games with them. Gotta be more careful about that from here on out. LOL

I always pray the kids finish out ok but thats at the game. The reely weird stuff i do is before the game see. I only put in the premium gas in the station wagon if it needs it on the day o game. I dont use the toleit paper on game day i use my bandana. Dont realy no why. I eat bbq at the closest place to the field-always. If there is a girl close to me in the stands before i head to the trak,i ofer her popcorn,no mater who she is with(now this has caused problems in the past). A guy with Shonda at Timpson and a dude with Camile at Jaoqiun promised to beat me up,and other boys gave me dirtie looks,some cuss at me. But i got to give out my popcorn dont no why. An if they sell the bearcat claw cookies at the game i eat the frostin off first then the cookie and i keep the stick when they have em. One time the frosting dyed my lips blue fore two days. There's other stuff but im scared yalla judge me cause its tooo weird.

I've worn the same ratty 10 year old tennis shoes to every Joaquin game this year. I also started off wearing the same new Ram "No Excuses" T-shirt, but had to pull out one of the old ones for the Hemphill game because the new one got lost in the laundry. I sweated the entire game.

ever since i saw Facing The Giants the first time and saw the old man walking the hall praying for each of the kids i have prayed for each of our ball players i have a roster that i go by and name each individually on the day of the game. the rest of the week i pray for no injures to either team.

I always send my sons a short "I love you, play hard" text message right after the pep rally as they make their way back to the field house to load up and leave. I change the message up weekly and include a motivational quote from a famous athlete or coach. I often remind them to enjoy it because it won't last forever. It almost brings tears to my eyes when they respond with, " I love you too Dad".

ever since i saw Facing The Giants the first time and saw the old man walking the hall praying for each of the kids i have prayed for each of our ball players i have a roster that i go by and name each individually on the day of the game. the rest of the week i pray for no injures to either team.

That's a great idea!

Since I started broadcasting Tatum games four years ago, I have a few traditions. If we're on the road, I always eat at a local diner because it's something original and something you won't find anywhere else. If we're at home I always drink a Calypso Black Cherry Lemonade. And before EVERY game we walk around, talk to Eagle fans, coaches, and players. It's my weekly fellowship time!

Since I started broadcasting Tatum games four years ago, I have a few traditions. If we're on the road, I always eat at a local diner because it's something original and something you won't find anywhere else. If we're at home I always drink a Calypso Black Cherry Lemonade. And before EVERY game we walk around, talk to Eagle fans, coaches, and players. It's my weekly fellowship time!

Don't forget the rally towel.

Pre-game I send my son a text wishing him well to play hard, play smart, and to keep his head up. Let him know that I am proud of him and that I love him.

At the game I thank God for giving us this day, pray for good sportsmanship and that no one gets injured.

For the quirky, I always park on the visitors side for the home games much to the chagrin of my wife. I tell her that it is something that I have been doing well before she started to go to games with me.

I forgot the rally towel at the homecoming game. I had Trey lookin everywhere for it. Plus, I fixed my hair for that game and didn't wear my hat. Not a good choice by me

Three years ago against this same team, the rally towel was born.

lol and got flipped off by some WO fans.

Pre-game constitution about two hours before kick-off.

My senior year, I wore the same shorts to every game.

Anytime I'm at an Eagles sporting event, I always wear the same baseball cap, the one from 2004-2005.

Wow...great posts....when in high school ate the same meal...sat in the same chair with the same people and NEVER TALKED DURING THE MEAL...went 13-1-1...yes tied a game...yes that DATES me....lost State championship game....didn't get to eat our pre-game meal........in college wore same socks and game pants and always had before EVERY GAME...coke..peanuts...together!!!!...and then always pulled grass...and later turf from the field and stuffed in my right sock....old O.Line coach told us we needed to be PART OF THE FIELD!!!!!!!...now the kicker.....since 7th grade...and my first game.....throw up 2 times before the game and "pee" atleast 4 times before the opening kick-off.....my son does THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!...he gets my nerves before the game...after the first hit....BAM!!!! I was fine and he is fine.....and yes still pray before each and every game after the national anthem...and yes I sing(try to) to the top of of lungs.....Or the land of the free and the HOME OF THE BRAVE!!!!!!!.....BULLDOGS KATN!!!!!!!........since a little kid thought that was the last words of the song!!!!!!!!