Johnny Manziel

h-town12

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Manziel is one heck of a football player, but I also think he has a huge advantage this year in the fact that Sumlin has brought in a new offense and it's been difficult for other teams to game plan. They add a wrinkle here and there each week to catch the defense off guard much like any other team. But it's more difficult to find the game film to prepare. Teams can't watch last year's Houston games because Manziel can do things that Keenum could not. In fact Manziel's biggest asset is his foot speed and quickness.

Before some people think I'm ####, just compare some of the first half of games with the second half. LSU, Florida and LaTech are prime examples.

And let's not forget that Manziel is a redshirt freshman. He's going to make mistakes... especially when the success of the offense relies so heavily on him. While we could say the same thing about 90% of all college teams because Manziel plays QB, it's different with him because he's also the leading rusher - kind of like Braxton Miller at Ohio State. I still think Manziel's best position would be slot, but it's hard to argue with his numbers.

I think Manziel is one heck of a football player, but I also think he has a huge advantage this year in the fact that Sumlin has brought in a new offense and it's been difficult for other teams to game plan. They add a wrinkle here and there each week to catch the defense off guard much like any other team. But it's more difficult to find the game film to prepare. Teams can't watch last year's Houston games because Manziel can do things that Keenum could not. In fact Manziel's biggest asset is his foot speed and quickness.

Before some people think I'm ####, just compare some of the first half of games with the second half. LSU, Florida and LaTech are prime examples.

And let's not forget that Manziel is a redshirt freshman. He's going to make mistakes... especially when the success of the offense relies so heavily on him. While we could say the same thing about 90% of all college teams because Manziel plays QB, it's different with him because he's also the leading rusher - kind of like Braxton Miller at Ohio State. I still think Manziel's best position would be slot, but it's hard to argue with his numbers.

next year, they will have film and experience with Manziel, therefore, he will probably not be quite so prolific. time will tell, but I predict he will not be quite as successful next year...........

next year, they will have film and experience with Manziel, therefore, he will probably not be quite so prolific. time will tell, but I predict he will not be quite as successful next year...........

Not saying it will happen to Manziel, but this is what happened with Colt McCoy.

Trade off though, Manziel will be better at reading defenses and going through his progressions. Knowing that he is fast still won't help them get to him in the pocket. He was giving LSU d-linemen fits yesterday, and they are some of the best in the country.

Trade off though, Manziel will be better at reading defenses and going through his progressions. Knowing that he is fast still won't help them get to him in the pocket. He was giving LSU d-linemen fits yesterday, and they are some of the best in the country.

Fits???

Looked the other way around to me. Like maybe he hadn't seen a d-line like that yet. It took Florida time to figure it out, but they did too.

Against the competition on his schedule, which included 2 SEC teams. You telling me the RBs and QBs from all the other SEC teams aren't playing crappy competition at some point too? Stupid point.

As I've said, he has a lot of room for improvement. He's only a freshman and is holding his own. Most QBs don't perform well against Florida, LSU or Bama. In fact, I don't think a QB has had a good game against any of them this season.

Not to bust your bubble, but a Heisman winner helps his team find a way to win some of those games.

Everyone said the same thing about Teebow when he was at Florida. And Manziel is alot better passer than Tebow ever will be. He is not a heisman canidate this year but he is definetly talented. Hopefully he will work hard in the off season and learn he can't throw across his body at this level.

I don't see it as a trade off. Manziel has the advantage right now because he hasn't been around enough to show tendencies. The more games he plays, the more the grad assistants from other teams can put into their software to show his tendencies.

People always want to talk about the front seven when it comes to the top defenses of the SEC, and they are right... those teams usually have a strong DL and LB. BUT they better have some great corner backs that can press and man-up or a team with a decent O-Line and QB can rip them apart.

LSU and Florida both decided to play the 2nd half with a strategy that Manziel would have to beat them with his arm; not his legs. With Manziel's athletic ability this will not change next year.

I don't see it as a trade off. Manziel has the advantage right now because he hasn't been around enough to show tendencies. The more games he plays, the more the grad assistants from other teams can put into their software to show his tendencies.

People always want to talk about the front seven when it comes to the top defenses of the SEC, and they are right... those teams usually have a strong DL and LB. BUT they better have some great corner backs that can press and man-up or a team with a decent O-Line and QB can rip them apart.

LSU and Florida both decided to play the 2nd half with a strategy that Manziel would have to beat them with his arm; not his legs. With Manziel's athletic ability this will not change next year.

That's exactly my point. He doesn't go through all his progressions yet and wants to tuck and run after the first few aren't there. There are a lot of plays that Tannehill would complete this year because he would take a chance and put the ball in a tight spot. Manziel isn't one to thread the needle yet. Part of that is he is young.

LSU has a great defensive backfield as well, but our WRs can match up with them. There were a few downfield routes yesterday (deep curls, out routes) that would have been completed last year because we had a confident senior QB. Manziel is confident for a youngster this year, but I think his ability to throw will only get better.

You pretty much do not know football or never really seen him play if you don't think he is any good. He has played 7 games really. One year of high school and the fact he only played 4 complete games of that. Passing 7,000 yrds and 70 td. College look up the sec passing marks.

What in the world are you talking about?

You pretty much do not know football or never really seen him play if you don't think he is any good. He has played 7 games really. One year of high school and the fact he only played 4 complete games of that. Passing 7,000 yrds and 70 td. College look up the sec passing marks.

You continue to remind me why you receive no respect on this forum. I gather that you can read but comprehension is not one of your stronger attributes nor is writing in an understandable format ("just sayin").

I know football and I have seen him play. My original question was, "Who dubbed him "Johnny Football" and why?" His body of work in the SEC, to date, does not justify the title. You throw in high school stats to support the title. Those stats only get you an invitation to college and in no way transfer to success in college. Again, if you read and comprehend, you will see that I do not have a problem with that title if it were later in his career and he continues to play at the level that he has or is capable of. It is a title that must be earned. Kind of like your screen name "The True Lion King". We all know that title is not true because everyone knows that Simba is the "True Lion King" because he had a movie made about him.

Sometimes reading out loud can help you understand what you are reading or maybe get some one to read it to you for clarity. Maybe even reading what you wrote after you write it will help you understand what you are trying to, or not to, say. Just trying to provide some ideas for someone who needs help.

1350842027[/url]' post='1798365']

One DE for LSU sacked him with one hand.

1350857802[/url]' post='1798563']

Garrett Gilbert had better stats AND won consecutive state titles. How did that translate to college football?

Again, what in the world are you talking about?