Hughes Springs vs. Centerville

Horns85

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No....no....... they won't, and well your right. they can't. won't get thru Arp. but niether will Region 4 lmao....it is what it is boot.....

I have finally seen Arp for myself this year and they are scary! Offensively I think they are better than last year...defense is not as good in my opinion...still haven't seen HS but they will have their hands full in the region 3 final this year! I still don't think either of those teams is within 3 TDs of Refugio. The only way y'all have a shot is if East Bernard upsets them first.

I think Kev and Lambootie need to meet and Kev can show.him those crusty yellow newspaper clippings he posted in here a couple years ago. They can brag on theirselves and tell whoppers about starting dynastys and all good things PAST.LOL

I think you are right.. and their thi g whatever it was is in the past and should not be brought up we are talking about now go mustangs

I think you are right.. and their thi g whatever it was is in the past and should not be brought up we are talking about now go mustangs

So you two didn't have any newspaper clippings on your trucks? What did you do on Friday nights shine up your buckshots and talk about how loud your trucks are? Losers!!

<br/>No....no....... they won't, and well your right. they can't. won't get thru Arp. but niether will Region 4 lmao....it is what it is boot.....<br/>
<br/><br/><br/>

If Arp gets this far they will get ran over, blown by, and basically be a door mat for either HS or Centerville. After watching Troup take care of Arp imo either one of these teams will blow them out. I think it will be HS.

<br/><br/><br/>

If Arp gets this far they will get ran over, blown by, and basically be a door mat for either HS or Centerville. After watching Troup take care of Arp imo either one of these teams will blow them out. I think it will be HS.

Don't give up on y'all beating Arp

Here is what I know/think...

Garrison beat Pewitt...I was not impressed at all with the Bulldogs. They ran some funky stuff, but I was not overly impressive with them against a poor Pewitt team.

Centerville beat Garrison...I expected a 10-0 team to beat the tar out of Garrison, but it really didn't happen. Maybe they played down to their competition. I personally think Hughes Springs would have beat Garrison by a lot more.

Hughes Springs has not played down to their competition, hence 70 points on a poor Hearne team. And, yes, HS does come from a weak district. Hughes Springs has lots of momentum going their way and seem to be on cruise control. They have dominated week in and week out and have been virtually unstoppable. Not saying they can't or won't be beat, because anything can happen on any given night, but things seem to be looking good for the Mustangs. This will be a challenge...something HS has not seen since week one against Clarksville. What do I expect to see? I have no idea. I haven't seen Centerville play. All I know is what I posted above, and that would lean in favor of the Mustangs.

As a wise old man once said...boys, we may get beat next week, but dang were GOOD!!

Unbeaten Hughes Springs Has Blown Away the Competition

by Clint Buckley1 hour agoHughes-Springs-Elysian-Fields2-630x411.pngFullback Michael Martinez leads an explosive Hughes Springs running game that's been tearing up opposing defenses all season. (Jeff Stapleton, ETSN.fm)Most undefeated football teams have battled through their fair share of adversity, escaping close calls and coming away with wins they probably shouldn't have.

The Hughes Springs Mustangs aren't one of them. The term "undefeated" doesn't quite describe what the they've done to the opposition.

Following last week's 70-20 playoff annihilation of Hearne, Hughes Springs (11-0) has outscored opponents by an average score of 49-10.

"I guess we've been pretty fortunate in that area," Hughes Springs coach Chris Edwards said. "We really try to focus on doing our job and not what the score is. We just worry about how well we're playing. That's kind of been our philosophy. It's worked out for us, obviously"

Only one team has played Hughes Springs close this season. Clarksville dropped a 28-21 decision to the Mustangs in the season opener.

And despite the one-sided outcomes, Edwards refuses to buy into the hype.

"We're still finding things on film we can coach and get better at," he said. "It's an on-going process. As far as expectations go, I thought we'd be good but they're probably playing better than I expected. And that comes from the kids buying what we're selling."

Hughes Springs' M.O. has been its talented backfield, which goes five-deep with Michael Martinez, Kane Sampson, Chad McKinney, Fred Hopkins and Dustin Garamillo.

Martinez leads the team with 1,723 yards and 28 touchdowns. Sampson, McKinney, Hopkins and Garamillo have combined for 1,987 and 28 more TDs.

"We've got five kids that can handle the football and have a chance to score," Edwards said. "Our workhorse is our fullback Martinez. He's just one of those kids with great vision, he's strong. He's not overly fast, but he's fast enough. He's able to make really good cuts and he always gets two or three extra yards after contact."

Edwards is quick to credit his offensive line, consisting of tackles Cameron Brewer and Kyre Lewis, guards Luis Dorantes and Josh Anton and center Kadarrian Chism.

"As a unit, they get after it," Edwards said of his linemen. "We're not huge; we've got one kid right at 300 pounds and he can move pretty well for a 300-pounder. The rest of them are 250, 240, 230 and 210. They can all move around and that helps lining up against a bigger kid. With our offense, you don't always to have blow them off the ball, you just need a tie."

Hughes Springs may finally be tested this week against state-ranked and unbeaten Centerville (11-0). Kickoff for the Class 2A Division II Region III semifinal is set for 7:30 p.m. Friday at Whitehouse's Wildcat Stadium.

"It could be a nailbiter or a blowout either way depending on which team shows up," Edwards said. "I think they're going to show up, I think we will too and I think it's going to be a war. All year we've talked about handling adversity when it comes to close games."