5A Region II Semi-Final: Longview vs Austin Westlake

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-3) vs Austin Westlake Chaparrals (8-4)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a blow out

longview_zps8c74edf3.pngaustinwestlake.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (9-3) VS AUSTIN WESTLAKE CHAPARRALS (8-4)

DATE/TIME/LOCATION:

Saturday, December 1st at 4:00 PM from MISD Multi-Purpose Stadium in Midlothian, Texas.

ALL-TIME SERIES:

The meeting will be the 1st meeting all-time between the two schools, with the series tied 0-0-0.

BROADCAST INFORMATION:

Longview's radio broadcast will be on Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI.

Austin Westlake's radio broadcast will be on ChapsTV 1300 AM.

GAME CAPSULE:

It's back to the Regional Round for the Lobos. For the 6th consecutive season, the Lobos advanced to the third round of the playoffs following their 6th straight victory over the Dallas Jesuit Rangers. It was a back and forth early game between Longview and Jesuit, with Jesuit leading 19-14 before the Lobos shook off 30 consecutive points to take complete control. The Lobos ended the game on a 43-6 scoring run, from midway through the 2nd quarter on. The 57 points the Lobos scored were the most in a playoff game since last year's area round match against Garland Sachse. Westlake had an even easier game in their area round match up, as they waxed A&M Consolidated 45-2 to get revenge on their non-district match up. The win marks Westlake's first visit to round three of the playoffs since their run the 2009 5A Division I State Championship game. The game will mark Longview's first game against an Austin area school since falling to Lake Travis in the 2009 4A Division I State Championship game, and only their 5th game all-time against the Austin area. The Lobos are 1-3 against teams from the area, with their lone win coming in 2007 against Leander. Longview's victory against Dallas Jesuit marked a big milestone in head coach John King's career. He picked up his 100th win as the Lobo coach and became the 2nd coach all-time in Longview's history to reach that mark.

CLASS 5A DIVISION II REGION II AREA RESULTS

Longview 57 Dallas Jesuit 25

Austin Westlake 45 A&M Consolidated 2

Plano West 37 South Garland 27

Lufkin 56 Pflugerville 43

CLASS 5A DIVISION II REGION I REGIONAL GAMES

12/01 - W3 Arlington (10-2) vs W7 Cedar Hill (8-4) - Vernon Newson Stadium (Mansfield)

12/01 - W2 Abilene (12-0) vs W8 Waco Midway (12-0) - Northwest ISD Stadium (Justin)

CLASS 5A DIVISION II REGION II REGIONAL GAMES

12/01 - W12 Longview (9-3) vs R15 Austin Westlake (8-4) - MISD Multi-Purpose Stadium (Midlothian)

12/01 - R10 Plano West (8-4) vs R14 Lufkin (9-3) - Waco ISD Stadium (Waco)

WHAT'S AT STAKE

The winner of today's game will take on the winner of Lufkin vs Plano West in the Class 5A Division II Region II Regional Final match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS

Record: 9-3 (4-2)

District: 12-5A

Coach: John King (100-22 in 9 seasons) (Playoffs: 25-8)

First Year of Football: 1909

All-Time Record: 653-332-53 (Playoffs: 53-35-1)

Playoff Appearances: 38

Last Playoff Appearance: 2011, 5A Division II Regional Round

State Championships: 1937 (1A)

State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)

Schedule:

09/01 - Coppell (at SMU) L 41-8

09/07 - vs North Little Rock W 30-14

09/14 - vs Marshall W 48-0

09/21 - at Lufkin W 45-14

09/28 - at Mesquite* L 33-7

10/12 - vs Rockwall Heath* W 52-27

10/19 - at Mesquite Horn* L 25-17

10/26 - vs North Mesquite* W 52-3

11/02 - at Tyler Lee* W 52-6

11/09 - vs Rockwall* W 40-7

11/17 - Bi-District: Rowlett W 27-6

11/24 - Area: Dallas Jesuit W 57-25

12/01 - Regional: Austin Westlake

AUSTIN WESTLAKE CHAPARRALS

Record: 8-4 (5-1)

District: 15-5A

Coach: Darren Allman (36-16 in 4 seasons) (Playoffs: 8-3)

First Year of Football: 1970

All-Time Record: /-/ (Playoffs: 65-26)

Playoff Appearances: 28

Last Playoff Appearance: 2011, 5A Division I Area Round

State Championships: 1996 (5A D2)

State Championship Appearances: 1990 (4A), 1994 (5A D2), 1996 (5A D2), 2000 (5A D1), 2001 (5A D2), 2006 (5A D1), 2009 (5A D1)

Schedule:

08/31 - vs Cedar Park W 21-7

09/07 - at Temple L 49-42

09/14 - at A&M Consolidated L 35-17

09/21 - vs Cibolo Steele L 35-10

09/28 - vs Austin Bowie* W 38-7

10/04 - at Austin Akins* W 68-7

10/12 - vs Austin Anderson* W 47-3

10/19 - at Del Valle* W 31-9

11/02 - vs Lake Travis* L 14-11

11/09 - at Austin High* W 34-0

11/16 - Bi-District: Pflugerville Hendrickson W 33-13

11/23 - Area: A&M Consolidated W 45-2

12/01 - Regional: Longview

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Lobos should win this one and possibly face Lufkin in region finals. How cool would it be to meet again back at the scene of the crime 8 years later! Dont kno if 27,000 would show up but it would be cool!

I echo your sentiments 07...it is an honor to face Westlake!

Interesting that Westlake overcame an early season loss to A&M Consolidated to beat them in the playoffs. Westlake's march to the district championship was not overly tough given the Austin schools short of LT.

Hard to believe that Lufkin has made it this far given their early season performance. I think the best teams in DIV II are in the other bracket - how good is DeSoto and Cibolo Steele - and then of course there's Katy.

1353849036[/url]' post='1827692']

Interesting that Westlake overcame an early season loss to A&M Consolidated to beat them in the playoffs. Westlake's march to the district championship was not overly tough given the Austin schools short of LT.

Hard to believe that Lufkin has made it this far given their early season performance. I think the best teams in DIV II are in the other bracket - how good is DeSoto and Cibolo Steele - and then of course there's Katy.

Great game lobos! After losing starting qb first game of year this is all gravy!!!! No matter what it's a sucessfull year! Injuries are part of the game so no crying! That's exactly what you lobos are doing!!! Playing great with a lot of very young players! Go lobos!

I think Lobos should win this one and possibly face Lufkin in region finals. How cool would it be to meet again back at the scene of the crime 8 years later! Dont kno if 27,000 would show up but it would be cool!

I echo your sentiments 07...it is an honor to face Westlake!

Lufkin will be there..Plano West is borderline weak. Don't think the Lufkin fans will like me very much if we meet up next week..I took that 2004 loss to the heart. lol

Westlake is going to be a test. They're disciplined and have plenty of depth..and also pass well. They've always made long runs in the playoffs , just as we have and even have a couple of 5A state appearances the past few years. I like our chances to the semis if we can get past Westlake.

Longview and Westlake both travel very well..going to be packed out there.

Big thing against A&M was the wind it seemed like. The amount of blocked punts that the Chaps got was ridiculous. I think it was 4? Then A&M also fumbled it four times. Once the ball got rolling downhill, they just lost complete control of it.

Not to say the Chaps aren't a good team and didn't play well that day. It sounded (on the radio at least) as if every single thing went perfect and their way Friday. And they played about as good as they could. Just one of those games that the opponent's downfall and their own play came together and result in the 45-2 scoreline.

I can tell you one thing though. Longview won't be held to -29 yards rushing like A&M was.

Big thing against A&M was the wind it seemed like. The amount of blocked punts that the Chaps got was ridiculous. I think it was 4? Then A&M also fumbled it four times. Once the ball got rolling downhill, they just lost complete control of it.

Not to say the Chaps aren't a good team and didn't play well that day. It sounded (on the radio at least) as if every single thing went perfect and their way Friday. And they played about as good as they could. Just one of those games that the opponent's downfall and their own play came together and result in the 45-2 scoreline.

I can tell you one thing though. Longview won't be held to -29 yards rushing like A&M was.

I sure hope not..... lol...

Looks like we will get a view of the future with the Soph. tandem.. Chumley and Hasty....

We run between the tackles...from wat I hear he's not dat type of runner to put it mildly...

Isn't he supposed to be incredible on the outside? I only ask because with White being out, then I think making proper adjustments towards our strengths is required. At least, that's what good coaches do.

Lufkin will be there..Plano West is borderline weak. Don't think the Lufkin fans will like me very much if we meet up next week..I took that 2004 loss to the heart. lol

Westlake is going to be a test. They're disciplined and have plenty of depth..and also pass well. They've always made long runs in the playoffs , just as we have and even have a couple of 5A state appearances the past few years. I like our chances to the semis if we can get past Westlake.

Longview and Westlake both travel very well..going to be packed out there.

Ohhh the smack talking. I like you lobos, but if we play again this year, I'm going all outtt laugh.gif

Hell....we're not even supposed to be here anyways. Most of the fans on this board and that other one said we couldn't win in the first round. Underdogssss

i think i will attend some of the Lobo playoff games since i just recently moved to da View. i'll be the one wearing the blue and white Dfield Tiger hoodie. Lol

Wat?!? You left the comfort of the "backwater mafia" to cum to the city slicker life?? Say it aint so...