5A Region II Semi-Final: Longview vs Austin Westlake

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-3) vs Austin Westlake Chaparrals (8-4)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a blow out

What's he supposed to do about it? Punt on first down? He calls the plays, he's not the one with the ball in his hands. You don't blame the coach for players not hanging on to the ball.

I'm sick to death of the people who say 'its not the coaches fault, he's not the one on the field.'.

First and foremost, if this were true, then why the hell do programs pay what they do to the coaches???

Secondly, LV having turnover problems is not new. It's a problem every year, and every year he does nothing about it.

You want to know what he can do, have you never played football? Cause when I played, there were actual reprocussions for turnovers...You ran your butt off after practice for starters. You run drills during practice to work on protecting the ball. Or my personal favorite, you watch the game from the sideline. Whatever it takes to get the message across.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are down to our 4th and 5th string running backs genius.

And we just threw another INT.

I don't give a dang if we're having to suit up freshman RB's. The turnovers are killing us so obviously this 'genius' knows what the heck he is saying!

You can't turn the ball over 6 times and expect to win...Regardless who's playing RB!

I'm sick to death of the people who say 'its not the coaches fault, he's not the one on the field.'.

First and foremost, if this were true, then why the hell do programs pay what they do to the coaches???

Secondly, LV having turnover problems is not new. It's a problem every year, and every year he does nothing about it.

You want to know what he can do, have you never played football? Cause when I played, there were actual reprocussions for turnovers...You ran your butt off after practice for starters. You run drills during practice to work on protecting the ball. Or my personal favorite, you watch the game from the sideline. Whatever it takes to get the message across.

Maybe you should be the coach, since your such a football genius. And yes, I played football 7th-12th grade. Our players weren't punished for turnovers, we moved on to next weeks game. Something Longview won't be doing.

Maybe you should be the coach, since your such a football genius. And yes, I played football 7th-12th grade. Our players weren't punished for turnovers, we moved on to next weeks game. Something Longview won't be doing.

Running drills to teach ball protection is not punishment. Holding players accountable for mistakes is also not punishment...it's called discipline. And it's what separates the best teams from the rest!

You don't have to be a coach to know that!

TD Westlake 31-10 with 5:09

It's been a very...interesting season for Longview. Ups and downs, definitely the year of the turnover.

The turnovers seem to be an issue every year for whatever reason.

It has been interesting this year though. With only 2 returning offensive starters and then losing one of those for the season in week 1, still have to be proud of making it this for. Six consecutive years in the regionals!

Running drills to teach ball protection is not punishment. Holding players accountable for mistakes is also not punishment...it's called discipline. And it's what separates the best teams from the rest!

You don't have to be a coach to know that!

You're right, I apologize. Longview is far from the best

You're right, I apologize. Longview is far from the best

I'm not trying to argue with you. You just have to understand my side of it. I AM a Lobo! I wore that uniform and sweat and bled on that field. My playing career nearly ended on that field with a major knee injury. So you just have to understand my frustration with seeing this team come up short year after year. Especially when they have the talent to be a Championship team.

The turnovers are continuing because Coach King refuses to do anything about it!

While there are times we are able to overcome them, they are still a BIG reason why we haven't win a Championship. And yet, King still refuses to do anything about it.

I've been telling '07 and several others that for the longest. You and I came up in an era where it was NOT tolerated whatsoever! I will give King credit for how far he has gotten this team turned around but, in John King's own words, " I don't focus on fumbling because it makes the player less effective as a runner". This retarded ideology is what not only seperates him from being just a pretty good coach to a great coach but, this Lobo team from EVER winning a State Championship while he is the head coach.

We gave Westlake FOURTEEN-POINTS off of FUMBLING and SEVEN off of an interception! We might as well get used to this EVERY YEAR because this is what is. If, John King will ever decide to prepare these Lobos as a COMPLETE, DISCIPLINED unit all the way around, this football program will be phenomenal but, UNTIL that happens this is what you can expect EVERY, SINGLE YEAR-PERIOD.

By the way, HATS off to the Longview Lobo DEFENSE!!! You guys were JUGGERNAUTS tonight and as a Lobo Alumn and former player I appreciate your efforts tonight! You guys NEVER took a play off and that's what it takes if you're ever going to win a title. UNFORTUNATELY, tonight there was not a collective effort MENTALLY on the offensive side of the ball. But, to their credit it's not completely their fault either. But, thanks for the hard fought effort-again.

I'm not trying to argue with you. You just have to understand my side of it. I AM a Lobo! I wore that uniform and sweat and bled on that field. My playing career nearly ended on that field with a major knee injury. So you just have to understand my frustration with seeing this team come up short year after year. Especially when they have the talent to be a Championship team.

Understandable, but I just don't think the coach is 100% of the problem. I don't follow Longview football, so I don't know a lot about them, but at some point the players just need to man up and hang on to the football. No excuses for 7 turnovers in a playoff game.

I've been telling '07 and several others that for the longest. You and I came up in an era where it was NOT tolerated whatsoever! I will give King credit for how far he has gotten this team turned around but, in John King's own words, " I don't focus on fumbling because it makes the player less effective as a runner".

Dude..just stop it. I'm tired of seeing you blame King everytime an athlete fumbles..it's just stupid. Come up with some new material. You can't teach football IQ, It's certain things you're supposed to know as a football player..one being how to hold onto a dang football. Not hard to do at all..in fact it's simple. If you came up in a time where coaches had to waste practice time to teach athletes how simply hold onto a ball..then that's embarrassing.

You obviously came up in an era where everything was spoon fed to you. You played on the '97 team right? Lobo football in the 90's or any other era was weak compared to what it is now under King. Look at the records..

Dude..just stop it. I'm tired of seeing you blame King everytime an athlete fumbles..it's just stupid. Come up with some new material. You can't teach football IQ, It's certain things you're supposed to know as a football player..one being how to hold onto a dang football. Not hard to do at all..in fact it's simple. If you came up in a time where coaches had to waste practice time to teach athletes how simply hold onto a ball..then that's embarrassing.

You obviously came up in an era where everything was spoon fed to you. You played on the '97 team right? Lobo football in the 90's or any other era was weak compared to what it is now under King. Look at the records..

I know you weren't talking to me, but to say the '97 team was weak compared to today's team, well I'll just ask you to look at the last comment you made...look at the records. I was on that team. We went 14-1 and were ranked #2 in the country. Good look finding a team this decade with a stronger resume' than that.

And lets also not forget, we also played in a MUCH stronger district than LV has in the last 10 years.

get real; college teams spend the first 15-20 minutes of practice every day with RBs working security drills. There's a lot of apparatus out there that teams use - it's very physical. So maybe you need to come into the 21st century. The coaches need to train it; and the players need to get mentally focused on possession. It's a combination. Have not seen a Lobo team lately that could stay on the field against the 97 team.

Completely agree.

I know you weren't talking to me, but to say the '97 team was weak compared to today's team, well I'll just ask you to look at the last comment you made...look at the records. I was on that team. We went 14-1 and were ranked #2 in the country. Good look finding a team this decade with a stronger resume' than that.

And lets also not forget, we also played in a MUCH stronger district than LV has in the last 10 years.

Congrats to Longview on a great season.Despite your qb going out for the season you guys still competed and gave your all. Seems like y'all were the best team against WL but got plagued by the to's. I didn't think after the Coppell game y'all would turn the ball over like that considering that was the first game of the year but I don't know if that's on King or the players. I can't blame King for the to's but if he didn't do any thing to correct the to's after the Coppell game then he deserves part of the blame. You guys will bounce back next year.

Congrats to Longview on a great season.Despite your qb going out for the season you guys still competed and gave your all. Seems like y'all were the best team against WL but got plagued by the to's. I didn't think after the Coppell game y'all would turn the ball over like that considering that was the first game of the year but I don't know if that's on King or the players. I can't blame King for the to's but if he didn't do any thing to correct the to's after the Coppell game then he deserves part of the blame. You guys will bounce back next year.

Bring home that title!

Phew!! Thank God King didn't want to be too hard on his running backs about holding onto the ball. They might have fumbled the game away if he had been.

I've now heard from his own lips twice that he can't/won't say too much to them about fubling because he's afraid they may keep it in the back of their mind. Really? Do you work on your recievers catching the ball? Does it hinder their "play-making" abilities? I know King is a good man and that he's a terrific coach in many aspects, but I have to wonder what goes through his mind sometimes.