5A Region II Semi-Final: Longview vs Austin Westlake

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-3) vs Austin Westlake Chaparrals (8-4)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a blow out

I believe lobos will win.... No definite reason other than sometimes when you lose players and you have had to fight all year , you just keep fighting when people think there is no way you move on! Those are the teams that go on to win things! Not saying they win it all, but I just think things just happen when you least expect them too!!!!!!goooooo lobos!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I seriously hope dat big brother aint u! Ha!

And wat the freak is a zebra doin in the picture?!? Yall on dat good aintcha?? Haha hoho hehe!!!

laugh.gif Aye, you Lobos are welcome to come down and party with us if we do win state. Just don't wear that green mess..

I am a Westlake fan from Austin. I will have to go with Westlake in a squeaker given their scrappy, opportunistic defense. I don't know much about Longview however. We will be in Midlothian to cheer for the Chaps!

Here is an article from Nov. 27, 2012 Austin American-Statesman about the Westlake vs. Longview game.

By Rick Cantu

American-Statesman Staff

It has been 25 years since Darren Allman graduated from Odessa Permian High, but the Westlake football coach still owns a Mojo record of four interceptions in a single game.

This year, Allman was inducted into the Hardin-Simmons Athletics Hall of Fame in recognition of his 153 tackles and 10 interceptions during three years as a Cowboys safety and team captain.

Given the head coach’s background, it should come as little surprise that Westlake has emerged as a state football contender on the strength of an undersized but gritty defense. The Chaparrals have allowed an average of 6.6 points in their past eight games, a run capped by a 45-2 victory over A&M Consolidated on Saturday in a Class 5A, Division II area playoff.

Consolidated had averaged 38 points a game before the Chaparrals held its offense scoreless. It was the first time the Tigers’ offense had been blanked since 2009.

What makes Westlake (8-4) an intriguing postseason story line is its absence of mega-watt stars. The only players considered to be solid Division I prospects are senior kicker Michael Barden and junior quarterback Jordan Severt.

That’s not a slap at Westlake’s defense. Instead, it shows how the Chaps have succeeded through teamwork and a propensity for causing turnovers. When Westlake bolted to a 24-2 halftime lead against Consolidated, the Chaparrals had amassed a total of 47 offensive yards while scoring three touchdowns and a field goal.

Westlake senior cornerback Derek Cohen blocked a pair of punts, and the Chaparrals defense forced five turnovers. In two playoff victories — over Hendrickson and Consolidated — the Chaps have taken advantage of eight turnovers.

Junior Jacob Mansour, a 200-pound nose guard who has drawn interest from Ivy League colleges, is the motor that drives Westlake’s defense. Mansour and 210-pound defensive end Anthony Patino said quickness and a stringent off-season conditioning program have helped the Chaps compete against bigger teams.

With 190-pound senior Justin Miller at defensive end, Westlake’s line doesn’t exactly resemble the Steel Curtain.

The linebacker rotation of Luke Womack (198 pounds), Carsten Hood (193), Hudson Hall (195), Michael Edwards (185) and Breckyn Hagar (193) may be small, but no opponent has scored more than 14 points on Westlake since September.

Westlake’s victory Saturday showed how much the Chaparrals have improved since a 35-17 loss to Consolidated on Sept. 14. The Chaps gave us 442 yards in that defeat, only 165 in Saturday’s rematch.

Westlake expects a tougher test this week during a regional matchup against Longview (9-3). The Lobos have averaged 47 points in their past five games, including Saturday’s 57-25 victory over Dallas Jesuit.

Don’t expect Longview to score 47 against Westlake.

Given the head coach’s background, it should come as little surprise that Westlake has emerged as a state football contender on the strength of an undersized but gritty defense. The Chaparrals have allowed an average of 6.6 points in their past eight games, a run capped by a 45-2 victory over A&M Consolidated on Saturday in a Class 5A, Division II area playoff.

[/font][/color]

the chap defense is all we are hearing about so hopefully our coaching staff comes out with some different looks to throw yall off. but if we come out running the same 2-3 plays over and over again westlake is gonna dominate us and we lose this game.

just so you know longview has a pretty good defense also and can shut teams down. we sound alot like the westlake defense not real big(but bigger up front) but fast and swarm to the ball. this game could be a defensive battle

Don’t expect Longview to score 47 against Westlake.

And don't expect to score 45 against Longview. :P ^_^

Since the 9/10/11 (whatever it was) fumble game against Mesquite seven games ago, Longview's first team defense has given up a total of seven touchdowns.

Sounds like it's going to be a defensive showdown. Least amount mental mistakes wins.

How is the Westlake return game and special teams (minus last week's game vs A&M of 4 blocked punt)? Good luck Saturday!

Westlake nose guard Jacob Mansour is providing some extra motivation for the Longview offense this week after a comment he made following the Chaps’ 45-2 area win over A&M Consolidated.

His quote to the Statesman: “I don’t think there’s too many offenses that can do too much against us now. I’m extremely confident with our defense.”

That quote is posted all around the Lobo Den.

Yay extra motivation.

Posted this on 5A, so gonna post it here too.

Best way to get to the stadium for Longview is to take 67 Cleburne then go past Midlothian, and get on 287 South to Waxahachie. It's the next exit after the 287 North exit to Fort Worth, and barely any signage is there until after you've passed the exit so have to be careful you don't miss it. Once you get on 287, take the first exit to 14th street. You'll go through the first light and then turn left onto 14th street. There will be a side entrance on the right to the home side. Or you could go to the main entrance where both teams enter, but would advise against it. Westlake fans will only have one entrance and yea, it's going to be ugly getting out of there if it's a close one and no one leaves.

There's not much at all around the stadium. Only places I saw was Sonic and Taco Bell, plus a gas station inbetween.

Gates are suppose to open at 2:30 PM. There's a festival supposedly going on that entire weekend, so best to avoid going into town if all avoidable. There's not much at all out there way from what I could see. Bunch of hills and cops.

Posted this on 5A, so gonna post it here too.

Best way to get to the stadium for Longview is to take 67 Cleburne then go past Midlothian, and get on 287 South to Waxahachie. It's the next exit after the 287 North exit to Fort Worth, and barely any signage is there until after you've passed the exit so have to be careful you don't miss it. Once you get on 287, take the first exit to 14th street. You'll go through the first light and then turn left onto 14th street. There will be a side entrance on the right to the home side. Or you could go to the main entrance where both teams enter, but would advise against it. Westlake fans will only have one entrance and yea, it's going to be ugly getting out of there if it's a close one and no one leaves.

There's not much at all around the stadium. Only places I saw was Sonic and Taco Bell, plus a gas station inbetween.

Gates are suppose to open at 2:30 PM. There's a festival supposedly going on that entire weekend, so best to avoid going into town if all avoidable. There's not much at all out there way from what I could see. Bunch of hills and cops.

Thanks for the info. Any road construction that you saw?