5A Region II Semi-Final: Longview vs Austin Westlake

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-3) vs Austin Westlake Chaparrals (8-4)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a close one
    • Austin Westlake in a blow out

I know you weren't talking to me, but to say the '97 team was weak compared to today's team

I never said the 1997 team was weak..never even implied it. I said..that Lobo football in the 90's or any other era was weak compared to King's era of Lobo football. The records prove it. I only said that because Toby made a comment about coming up in an era where "fumbling wasn't tolerated" as if he came up in the best era in Lobo football history..when he didn't.

Congratulations on going to state in 1997..you came up empty handed just like the rest of the past 73 teams..

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said the 1997 team was weak..never even implied it. I said..that Lobo football in the 90's or any other era was weak compared to King's era of Lobo football. The records prove it. I only said that because Toby made a comment about coming up in an era where "fumbling wasn't tolerated" as if he came up in the best era in Lobo football history..when he didn't.

Congratulations on going to state in 1997..you came up empty handed just like the rest of the past 73 teams..

So you really think a coach chouldn't address fumbling issues? Should they work with receivers on catching? How about quarterbacks throwing? It's a coach's job to fix problems players have. However, King has said himself, more than once, that he will not address the issue of fumbling. When you turn it over 10 times in one game and then 7 times in a nother game....and the coach STILL refuses to try to fix the problem, the issue becomes the coach's. I still like King and don't want him to go anywhere...but I think he is dead wrong about this.

This Lobo team loses alot on defense for next year. I hate to say it, but after this Jr. Class there is not much coming up. Not the talent pool that King is used to. Hope some kids develop and become players. Maybe he can keep a bunch of coaches from jumping ship and hang around for a while longer.

So you really think a coach chouldn't address fumbling issues? Should they work with receivers on catching? How about quarterbacks throwing? It's a coach's job to fix problems players have. However, King has said himself, more than once, that he will not address the issue of fumbling. When you turn it over 10 times in one game and then 7 times in a nother game....and the coach STILL refuses to try to fix the problem, the issue becomes the coach's. I still like King and don't want him to go anywhere...but I think he is dead wrong about this.

I see what I'm dealing with here. I'll agree to disagree.

Some of you resemble Whitehouse fans..wanting to get rid of something good.

Fire him. There is a school 15 miles away that could use any coach from Longview at this point.

I won't dispute the overall record by decade at all...but you don't think playing in an easier district makes a difference?

It's one thing to say that LV has had more success under King. But you said those teams in the '90's were weaker (and isn't '97 in the '90's?) is what I think is ridiculous.

The Lobos ended their season just like the way the started it. Coppell fumbles and interceptions cost the lobos that game and the exact same thing cost them the game against a very week Austin Westlake team. Hats off to Westlake on how to capitalize on Turnovers and that is what you are suppose to do. You won the game Congrats but I was not impressed. People say that you should not blame King I totally blame King. Here's how:

1. Watching a few games on Youtube of Westlake and one can tell that they pride themselves on stopping the run therefore by the footage everybody in the world knows exactly what Westlake will do against a run team like the Lobos. Stuff the middle so that means that the passing game should be effective. Usually the saying is the passing game will open up if you have an effective running game but this time you will have to establish the passing game to establish the run and that did not happen. Running up the middle was not effective especially when it is 3rd down and 4 or 5. Guess what King everybody in the whole world knows that you about to run up the middle so why do it? Guess what you were stopped and had to punt. What happened to bootleg and play action passes?

2. I don't know what kind of football program that don't address fumbling problems. That is unbelievable not to work on total ball control. Superbowl winning Dallas Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson use to say "if you fumble the ball you will be cut tomorrow". With the exception of Emmitt Smith. Ball Control should be addressed by the head coach and if a player continues to have those problems then bench him or make him run wind sprints until he gets it. What happened to the drill at practice where you have two lines and the back runs between the two lines and everybody tries to strip the ball. If that ball pops out guest what line it young man we will run until learn to hold on to the ball.

This game is a game that Lobos should have won. Like I said at the beginning of this post the Lobos season ended just like the way it started. Turnovers, Turnovers and more Turnovers. 9 turnovers ended the season and before this game it was 8. Where's the improvement? <_<

The Lobos ended their season just like the way the started it. Coppell game, fumbles and interceptions cost the lobos that game and the exact same thing cost them the game against a very week Austin Westlake team. Hats off to Westlake on how to capitalize on Turnovers and that is what you are suppose to do. You won the game Congrats but I was not impressed. People say that you should not blame King I totally blame King. Here's how:

1. Watching a few games on Youtube of Westlake and one can tell that they pride themselves on stopping the run therefore by the footage everybody in the world knows exactly what Westlake will do against a run team like the Lobos. Stuff the middle so that means that the passing game should be effective. Usually the saying is the passing game will open up if you have an effective running game but this time you will have to establish the passing game to establish the run and that did not happen. Running up the middle was not effective especially when it is 3rd down and 4 or 5. Guess what King everybody in the whole world knows that you about to run up the middle so why do it? Guess what you were stopped and had to punt. What happened to bootleg and play action passes?

2. I don't know what kind of football program that don't address fumbling problems. That is unbelievable not to work on total ball control. Superbowl winning Dallas Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson use to say "if you fumble the ball you will be cut tomorrow". With the exception of Emmitt Smith. Ball Control should be addressed by the head coach and if a player continues to have those problems then bench him or make him run wind sprints until he gets it. What happened to the drill at practice where you have two lines and the back runs between the two lines and everybody tries to strip the ball. If that ball pops out guest what line it up young man we will run until you learn how to hold on to the ball.

This game is a game that Lobos should have won. Like I said at the beginning of this post the Lobos season ended just like the way it started. Turnovers, Turnovers and more Turnovers. 9 turnovers ended the season and at the start of the season it was 8.. Where's the improvement? <_<

I see what I'm dealing with here. I'll agree to disagree.

Some of you resemble Whitehouse fans..wanting to get rid of something good.

Perhaps you didn't actually read my post. I don't want him going anywhere. I want him to fix...or attempt to fix...the problem. I certainly don't want him to say that he won't even try.

Fire him. There is a school 15 miles away that could use any coach from Longview at this point.

Heck no. I want him right here.

That old district in the 90s was salty; much better than any of the realigned districts since 2000 or so. Longview, Lee, Lufkin, JT and Marshall were in and out of the top 10 every year. That is truly where East Texas got its reputation for HS football. You could not have a bad day at the office in the old district.

You can't really compare the 90's teams to the teams in coach King's era.Different district and different kids. I have seen some great Lobo teams thruout my lifetime. I started going to Lobo games in 1977. I have seen great players thruout the years play for Longview. There are players that played in the 70's that would have started on some of the current teams.We have had a good run under coach King and I like him as a coach. He does seem to be alittle softer than the other coaches that we have had in the past. I think all coaches in general are this way, because times have changed.There are times that the coaches should be the blame and there are times that the players are the blame.Do I think the 1997 team could play with some of the 2000's best teams, yes I do. I also believe that the 97 team is the best team that I have seen walk thru the tuunnel to the field. We have had some great teams under King and I hope we have him for a long time.He has the best winning percentage among any coach that we have ever had.This is just my opinion and I will always back the Lobos win or lose. THUMBS UP!

You can't really compare the 90's teams to the teams in coach King's era.Different district and different kids. I have seen some great Lobo teams thruout my lifetime. I started going to Lobo games in 1977. I have seen great players thruout the years play for Longview. There are players that played in the 70's that would have started on some of the current teams.We have had a good run under coach King and I like him as a coach. He does seem to be alittle softer than the other coaches that we have had in the past. I think all coaches in general are this way, because times have changed.There are times that the coaches should be the blame and there are times that the players are the blame.Do I think the 1997 team could play with some of the 2000's best teams, yes I do. I also believe that the 97 team is the best team that I have seen walk thru the tuunnel to the field. We have had some great teams under King and I hope we have him for a long time.He has the best winning percentage among any coach that we have ever had.This is just my opinion and I will always back the Lobos win or lose. THUMBS UP!

+1

Dude..just stop it. I'm tired of seeing you blame King everytime an athlete fumbles..it's just stupid. Come up with some new material. You can't teach football IQ, It's certain things you're supposed to know as a football player..one being how to hold onto a dang football. Not hard to do at all..in fact it's simple. If you came up in a time where coaches had to waste practice time to teach athletes how simply hold onto a ball..then that's embarrassing.

You obviously came up in an era where everything was spoon fed to you. You played on the '97 team right? Lobo football in the 90's or any other era was weak compared to what it is now under King. Look at the records..

Well.........., you know I wasn't about to let you slide. You'd been better off just keeping your mouth shut especially when you call out my era and the Lobos before you and I weak. Yeah, you said it in your own words so, I want you to OWN it! I'm tired of you altogether, so the feeling is quite mutual-PLEASE BELIEVE IT!!!

I have given John King and his staff credit when they prepare these young athletes well for a game. Go research it, it ain't hard to find. But, here's the problem with you in particular (NOBODY ELSE INCLUDED). You see, you graduated in 2004 which at the latest would probably make you around 25 or 26 years old. So back in 1997 when I did play that would have made you around 10 or 11 years old. So, as a 5th or 6th grader that also put you in the bleacher creature section running around getting musty or already musty and recklessly at the concession stands while grown folks trying to order their food or keep from dropping it while they proceed back to their seats.

The Lobo era before you were pretty much Military style operated. The U.I.L. hardly had any stiff sanctions where they had to intervene regarding how long practice could be held. We weren't falling out and dying in 90 degree weather, CONDITIONING (RUNNING) was MANDATORY NOT OPTIONAL! It was done BEFORE, DURING and especially AFTER practice. Like I said before, FUMBLING was NOT tolerated under any circumstances. 1st string or 10th string, if you fumbled the ball in practice you ran around the entire practice field. If you stopped running you had an extra practice field to run!

After EVERY practice EVERYONE had to line up and do TEN 100yrd. gashers. You lined up and you DID NOT jump before the whistle was blown. If, you were even caught so much as FLINCHING past the line everyone as a TEAM paid the price by backing up and additional TEN YARDS on top of the 100 yards you already had. You had to run FULL SPEED all the way through no matter how tired you were or how late it was. If, anyone was caught loafing around through the gasher, I could hear Coach Comfort just like it was yesterday, " Welp!, we got Mr. So and So Half-TobinFrosting on that one, so we are going to do that gasher completely over again!" Go ask Coach Lindsey, Coach Wilson, and Coach Jones.

None of this is exaggerated at all! You better ask somebody, son. And, the Lobos before me like Bobby Taylor, Earnest Hunter, J.J.Mathis, Carwyn Richardson and my cousin Thomas Snoddy went through NATURAL HELL with Doug Cox and crew. So, for you to be sitting around talking about what era was weak, you have no idea. Hell, your entire team would've quit with just the stuff we had to endure. That slogan that says, "Only the Strong Survive", that comes from those back in the 70's, 80's and Early to Mid 90's that successfully made it out of Lobo Boot Camp. The Lobos before me even had to remember quotes when asked. So, you can miss me with all them stats you be producing and whatnot. The only thing that impresses me is results. I don't need nobody showing me this and that stat from back when because I and many other Lobo Alumn were there.

But, see that's what's wrong with your generation. You just called out all the other Lobo Alumn and their respective eras out as "WEAK" as though what they accomplished doesn't matter. These men laid the foundation and groundwork for not only my era but yours as well. They matter just as much as you do but, that's how disrespectful you and your generation is. If King, wasn't over it then it was weak!!!??? My coaches had their faults too but, the FIRST thing in correcting a fault is RECOGNIZING that you have one. The SECOND thing is to make a concerted effort to rectify that fault which is what King said in his own words that he WILL NOT do. So, why should you expect different results when you have that mindset of keeping things as the status quo???

Yeah. He's quite humble about his days as a Lobo but, he gets really animated at today's Lobo tailbacks.

Does anyone want to tell Mr. SNODDY how weak and easy his era had it ? The lack of respect for and the uderstaning of tradition is contibuting to the Lobo losses.

Does anyone want to tell Mr. SNODDY how weak and easy his era had it ? The lack of respect for and the uderstaning of tradition is contibuting to the Lobo losses.

The tradition definitely needs to come back. I remember doing push ups til our arms were about to fall off because one of our FBs busted his head open on the obstacle course and got blood on the field. If memory serves it took quiet a few stitches to sew him up, but he finished the day. I wonder how kids today would react to possibly losing their spring break if they didn't get it together in time to finish boot camp. I can only imagine lil Johnny telling Coach Cox he already had plans for spring break. Lil Johnny wouldn't have been on the team anymore.

You also need to remember that things were a bit tougher back then. We didn't have division I and division II, the top 2 teams went to the playoffs and you battled it out. Think about that when you see all those district championships and playoff runs on the wall. It was a battle every week with the district being Longview, Lufkin, JT, REL, Marshall, Nacogdoches, Pine Tree and Texarkana.