Marshall Football Coach

Ace13

Are there any names being thrown around for this job other the Randy McFarlin? I know of a few good coaches that would be a great fit for this job:

Randy McFarlin-Whitehouse

Chris Vallery-Longview

Casey Pearce-Longview

Jason Holman-DC @ Chapel Hill

Jeff Traylor-Gilmer

Kurt Traylor-Gilmer

Jerrod Baugh-Gladewater (former OC at Longview)

John Berry-Gladewater (former DC.asst head coach at Longview)

Barry Bowman-Paris

Mike Woods-Kilgore

Andy Evans-Tatum

Ricky Meeks-Coordinator at Henderson

Dennis Alexander-Troup

John Frazier-West Rusk

Chizik-Former Auburn Coach

Jason Garrett-Current, future former Cowboy coach

Kilgore College head footbll coach

Scott Suratt-Carthage

And last but not least...............:::::

Willie Hargett- Union Grove assistant coach

Are there any names being thrown around for this job other the Randy McFarliin? I know of a few good coaches that would be a great fit for this job:

Chris Vallery-Longview

Casey Pearce-Longview

Jeff Traylor-Gilmer

Kurt Traylor-Gilmer

Barry Bowman-Paris

Mike Woods-Kilgore

Andy Evans-Tatum

Dennis Alexander-Troup

John Frazier-West Rusk

Chizick-Former Auburn Coach

Scott Suratt-Carthage

You forgot Derek Dooley, John L. Smith, Joker Phillips, and Bobby Petrino.

Are there any names being thrown around for this job other the Randy McFarliin? I know of a few good coaches that would be a great fit for this job:

Chris Vallery-Longview

Casey Pearce-Longview

Jeff Traylor-Gilmer

Kurt Traylor-Gilmer

Barry Bowman-Paris

Mike Woods-Kilgore

Andy Evans-Tatum

Dennis Alexander-Troup

John Frazier-West Rusk

Chizick-Former Auburn Coach

Scott Suratt-Carthage

I would go all out for Garrett of the cowboys......Most discipline coach on the list LOL...

I think it's going to come down to money.

MISD was paying Southern approx 92,000. Which isn't tops in East Texas, but it was among the top echelon in 2005 or so. He produced too....with 2 state championship appearances.

I would assume Harris made about the same since he took over the same position.... nad if you look at W/L ONLY....he did well enough with 2 quarterfinal appearances in his four seasons.

MISD is going to have to go up on that ante to get some of those names on that list, and there still wouldn't be any promises.

But I've heard some pretty interesting names floating around.

Not as interesting as that list...... but.... I didn't really take that list seriously. LOL

:unsure:

He might walk off the field if he disagrees with something another coach says. That'd be fun to see on the opposite sideline instead of our own for sure.

I think it's going to come down to money.

MISD was paying Southern approx 92,000. Which isn't tops in East Texas, but it was among the top echelon in 2005 or so. He produced too....with 2 state championship appearances.

I would assume Harris made about the same since he took over the same position.... nad if you look at W/L ONLY....he did well enough with 2 quarterfinal appearances in his four seasons.

MISD is going to have to go up on that ante to get some of those names on that list, and there still wouldn't be any promises.

But I've heard some pretty interesting names floating around.

Not as interesting as that list...... but.... I didn't really take that list seriously. LOL

Can MISD pay that under their.current model? I always thought $100k+ was possible bc of.the ad/hc.titles. If Sipe stays AD then you are looking at just a "football coach" in a school district who has been hanging on financially and struggling academically.

Can MISD pay that under their.current model? I always thought $100k+ was possible bc of.the ad/hc.titles. If Sipe stays AD then you are looking at just a "football coach" in a school district who has been hanging on financially and struggling academically.

From what I understand, it will be a HC/AD position.

This new Supt. seems to be the real deal and means business. The biggest thing I've noticed is that he seems to have the support of not only the school board, but the teachers and the community as well. THIS is something Marshall has not had since Dr. Nichols was here.

Everyone seems to really believe in what he's saying and what he's plannning to do.

He apparently has the pedigree too. He helped turn around a Fort Bend ISD that was in the dumps academically. If he could get them turned around, you have to believe he can do it in Marshall too. FBISD not only is a "majority minority" school, but it's also a poor district.

Marshall has "better" demographics and isn't as financially strapped as FBISD apparently was.

I think he can get it done.

The fact that he's a Supt with a coaching background is a bonus. He believes that winning teams leads to more school pride, which leads to higher test scores.

He's only been on the job 6 months....and he's already done more than his successor ever did. Namely, unite the staff and the school board.

His swiftness of handling the coaching situation speaks volumes from where we were two years ago.

Lots to be excited about..... at least thus far.

$100,000 to coach high school football...I in the wrong dagblasted profession!!!

I agree....it's INSANE. But... the HC/AD is a pretty time consuming job. Especially during football season. That's being at the school seven days a week, often for 12 hour days.

Even in the off season there is an expectation of being present for other "non football" sports, which was partially the undoing for Harris (among many other things). That's Monday-Friday with some Tues, Fri nights and some Saturdays as well.

No doubt they put in some serious amount of time on campus. Probably more than anyone else in the district.

PLUS they have the pressure of winning, not only in football but in all sports if they are the AD.

So while I agree that 100K in insane...if it's done right, it's a job that is year round for LONG hours and dealing with.....parents (shiver).

But here is an interesting article someone shared on the Maverick forum about coaching salaries:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/18/3300034/as-high-school-football-popularity.html

Are there any names being thrown around for this job other the Randy McFarlin? I know of a few good coaches that would be a great fit for this job:

Chris Vallery-Longview

Casey Pearce-Longview

Jeff Traylor-Gilmer

Kurt Traylor-Gilmer

Barry Bowman-Paris

Mike Woods-Kilgore

Andy Evans-Tatum

Dennis Alexander-Troup

John Frazier-West Rusk

Chizik-Former Auburn Coach

Scott Suratt-Carthage

I agree....it's INSANE. But... the HC/AD is a pretty time consuming job. Especially during football season. That's being at the school seven days a week, often for 12 hour days.

Even in the off season there is an expectation of being present for other "non football" sports, which was partially the undoing for Harris (among many other things). That's Monday-Friday with some Tues, Fri nights and some Saturdays as well.

No doubt they put in some serious amount of time on campus. Probably more than anyone else in the district.

PLUS they have the pressure of winning, not only in football but in all sports if they are the AD.

So while I agree that 100K in insane...if it's done right, it's a job that is year round for LONG hours and dealing with.....parents (shiver).

But here is an interesting article someone shared on the Maverick forum about coaching salaries:

http://www.star-tele...popularity.html

Unless you are Thed Harris.

From what I understand, it will be a HC/AD position.

This new Supt. seems to be the real deal and means business. The biggest thing I've noticed is that he seems to have the support of not only the school board, but the teachers and the community as well. THIS is something Marshall has not had since Dr. Nichols was here.

Everyone seems to really believe in what he's saying and what he's plannning to do.

He apparently has the pedigree too. He helped turn around a Fort Bend ISD that was in the dumps academically. If he could get them turned around, you have to believe he can do it in Marshall too. FBISD not only is a "majority minority" school, but it's also a poor district.

Marshall has "better" demographics and isn't as financially strapped as FBISD apparently was.

I think he can get it done.

The fact that he's a Supt with a coaching background is a bonus. He believes that winning teams leads to more school pride, which leads to higher test scores.

He's only been on the job 6 months....and he's already done more than his successor ever did. Namely, unite the staff and the school board.

His swiftness of handling the coaching situation speaks volumes from where we were two years ago.

Lots to be excited about..... at least thus far.

What happens to Sipe? I know he has been considering the admin office for a while and mulling getting out of athletics. Rumors say that he has turned down 2-3 different offers in the admin office.

Unless you are Thed Harris.

Thus part of the reason he his gone.

I guess when his son moved up to varisty in Louisiana he was going to start making the play calls from the stands in shreveport.

At least he was winning. Too bad he didn't take care of his other business.

Worst talent pool I've ever seen in Marshall. With that said. Marshall should take a look at a coach outside the names everyone likes to throw around. Hugh Farmer at Frederick, Ok is really doing a fabolous job, and deserves a shot at a Texas program. His Air Raide System, Defensive Philosophy, Commitment to Special teams, and developing a program is flat out awesome. His offense is tops in the Nation in passing yards. He doesn't need a 5 star QB to get this accomplished. His team has been successful throwing the ball with multiple Trigger men. His offseason/ program beliefs are very impressive as well. His kids are strong, disciplined, and LOVE to WORK. Probably get laughed at on this thread, but I guarantee you if someone takes a chance on him he will make you look pretty dang smart.Good luck to Marshall, and I hope ya'll find The Man to right the ship.

I can name a coach as well that I have worked with that will get no recognition because he coaches at a very small private school in a lightly recognized league in Texas. But Aaron Mattox, HC at Trinity Valley School, took over a program that was a laughing stock to say the least, and lead them to 4 straight conference championships all without "recruiting" a single athlete to the school. His prior history was as a football coach and lead strength and conditioning coach at Highland Park High School. He also graduated from the University of Oklahoma and was involved with their football program somehow.

These are names you will never hear because they will not apply for the position. These are guys who are loyal to the ones that give them a job. I am sure there are hundreds of other coaches that would do amazing things as a head coach in Marshall that we will never hear of.

May as well throw this out there, even though it may be completely unrelated.....

ETBU's head football coach resigned yesterday (Mark Sartain). I'm sure there will be some thinking he may be looking to come to Marshall HS.

Also....

It should be known that both of Marshall's Junior High teams won their district championships.

Our varsity roster this year had as many sophomores and other underclassmen (we had a Freshman starting at QB for crying out loud) that had never played varsity before, it would compare to most schools' JV roster. That's not a knock on the team, just a numerical fact. The Maverick varisty squad this year was so young and full of underclassmen it would compare to many JV squads. It showed.... 1-9.

In spite of that, the actual JV squad was VERY competitive. Particularly in district play. They had a lot more close games than the varsity did. They moved the ball with greater ease than the varisty did.... scoring was rarely their issue. Defense was their weakness. The Freshman team did alright, especially after losing their QB to the varsity team. They managed a win over Evangel and had a couple of wins in district.

The cupboard isn't bare at MHS. I just think youth of the program spread things pretty thin in order to field three (or four with the 2 freshman teams) squads. There was very little senior leadership on this team as many of them walked away from the program after the 2011 season (good riddance).

I think the potential is there to see an exponential improvement next season. There were some bright spots in the program last season if you paid attention. But it was too scattered and disorganized to see much of it.

-------

I'm interested to see how the rumor mill interprets Sartain's leaving ETBU.

He's a great guy and the things he's done off the field at ETBU have been nothing short of phenomenal. But his overall record with the Tigers is another story. He was 8 games under .500 I believe. Something like 26-34 in his 6 seasons.