Josh to the Angels?

etos10

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the announcement had been that the Rangers had committed to Josh for 5 years at $25mil a year, who would have been happy and believed that it was a good signing? There have been lots of questions about how much to commit to Josh. I don't like the Angels signing him either, but I wouldn't have felt good if the headline had us tied to him for that long for that much. Gotta keep moving forward and don't waste time looking back when there are still opportunities to make your team better.

Why did we cut all that salary if this was the end result? 5/$125m? Josh should be a Ranger. Olt & Profar should make up for Nap & Young fingers crossed knock on wood. Michael Bourn isnt the same type of player but he is what this team needs- good leadoff hitting CF with good speed & glove. 2013: Goodbye Longball- Hello Smallball.

We now have to get an ace somehow someway.

As good as we felt the Rangers pitching staff was, they were still 3rd best in a division of 4 teams. Now our offense has taken a huge knock. I'll be a Ranger fan til I die, but this season could be hard to watch. Washington was winning with a team full of studs, let's see how he does with a team full of rookies + Beltre.

What's happening is reminding me of a statement I made last year towards the end of the season. I felt that things had taken a turn for the worse within the clubhouse. That's still my impression and these losses are strengthening my opinion.

Why did we cut all that salary if this was the end result? 5/$125m? Josh should be a Ranger. Olt & Profar should make up for Nap & Young fingers crossed knock on wood. Michael Bourn isnt the same type of player but he is what this team needs- good leadoff hitting CF with good speed & glove. 2013: Goodbye Longball- Hello Smallball.

We now have to get an ace somehow someway.

I would love love love for us to get Bourn. I have been saying on here a lot he is the guy we need. I don't know why they don't go after Kyle Lohse of the Cardinals? His 2012 stats are very impressive.... 16-3, 2.86 ERA, 1.09 WHIP. I think he could be a nice addition.

It wasn't about the Benjamins at the end of last season. They flat out just didn't want to be there, IMO.

Yep. They were probably as tired as I was of watching MY hit into easy double plays, weak pop flies, and play nearly every game. LOL.

But seriously... They had played a lot of basesball the past few years.

well.......I can handle MY leaving, I could handle Greinke....my fear is now the Rangers make a desperate move and trade away the young talent just for the headline.

and of course all the other clubs know this as well and will want more for anyone that we may have interest in because we "appear" desperate. i was a big hamilton fan. 4 years would've been my max as well. i read we offered $108 for 4 guaranteed, or $27 mil per year. they signed him for the $125 mil for 5 yrs, or $25 per yr. i think our offer was more than fair. unfortunately, josh did not. the only trade where i would give up anyone of value would be one i've stated all along. elvis for price. other than that, try to sign a couple of free agents and be done with it. our team will be very exciting next year, it will just be more running around the bases instead of jogging around the bases.

Rangers first home games are against the Angels. Wonder how many Boos ol' Josh will receive?

Probably as many as A-Fraud did, but the Angels fans probably won't join in like many of us Yankees fans did.

Back on topic - The Angels look really tough now, and this signing might help give Pujols a boost from a down year. As long as Hamilton can stay clean, then this will probably be a great contract. If he falls then it's going to be a different matter. I think this puts the Angels in the catbird seat for the AL Pennant. If Scioscia can't take this team to the World Series, then I think he's out of a job.

and of course all the other clubs know this as well and will want more for anyone that we may have interest in because we "appear" desperate. i was a big hamilton fan. 4 years would've been my max as well. i read we offered $108 for 4 guaranteed, or $27 mil per year. they signed him for the $125 mil for 5 yrs, or $25 per yr. i think our offer was more than fair. unfortunately, josh did not. the only trade where i would give up anyone of value would be one i've stated all along. elvis for price. other than that, try to sign a couple of free agents and be done with it. our team will be very exciting next year, it will just be more running around the bases instead of jogging around the bases.

How do you forsee more baserunners? Less homeruns, for sure, but I don't see anything happening that's going to improve the OBP. I hope you're right, though.

How do you forsee more baserunners? Less homeruns, for sure, but I don't see anything happening that's going to improve the OBP. I hope you're right, though.

i think our guys, if they do make it back around to the plate, will have to do so by running. not jogging. more steals, hit and runs, bunts, whatever, but far less homers.

Yep. They were probably as tired as I was of watching MY hit into easy double plays, weak pop flies, and play nearly every game. LOL.

I can't argue with any of that...it's just an impression I had from reading their faces and how they reacted to each other. It wasn't the same team we had been seeing out there the two previous years having a ball. They just seemed unconcerned and ready to go home. Again...that was just my opinion.

i think our guys, if they do make it back around to the plate, will have to do so by running. not jogging. more steals, hit and runs, bunts, whatever, but far less homers.

Definitely....but getting those baserunners on is going to be a challenge. Last I saw, Profar was hitting like .158 in the DR winter league and his manager there had him riding the pine because of his play. He currently sits at 1 HR and 2 RBI for the season. I know it doesn't really mean anything for winter ball...but it still worries me.

Its not like they will replace his production with an automatic out every 9 hitter and MY's 8 HRs will not be hard to replace at all. Last I checked, the Giants won the World Series two out of the last 3 years with a bunch of guys no one had ever heard of and out side of Pujols so did the Cards. I went to a game at Busch early in 2011. I looked at the field and thought, who are these guys? Next thing you know they are riding in a parade. I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. remember, the Rangers had 5 seasons to get to know Josh. You know the old saying, "No matter how pretty she is, someone, somewhere is sick and tire of her mess."

Its not like they will replace his production with an automatic out every 9 hitter and MY's 8 HRs will not be hard to replace at all. Last I checked, the Giants won the World Series two out of the last 3 years with a bunch of guys no one had ever heard of and out si. de of Pujols so did the Cards. I went to a game at Busch early in 2011. I looked at the field and thought, who are these guys? Next thing you know they are riding in a parade. I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. remember, the Rangers had 5 seasons to get to know Josh. You know the old saying, "No matter how pretty she is, someone, somewhere is sick and tire of her mess."

Giants have 3 ace pitchers

I can't argue with any of that...it's just an impression I had from reading their faces and how they reacted to each other. It wasn't the same team we had been seeing out there the two previous years having a ball. They just seemed unconcerned and ready to go home. Again...that was just my opinion.

All those guys that wanted MY gone....it will soon tell in the clubhouse and dugouts!!!

All those guys that wanted MY gone....it will soon tell in the clubhouse and dugouts!!!

I think Young leaving was best for both sides. It's no secret that Young is getting older and his skills are diminishing. Not saying every year will be like last year, but I think his best days are behind him. Instead of continuing to play Young and make the good young players sit and wait, the Rangers were able to trade Young. Now the young players will get their chance, and Young will have the opportunity to continue being an everyday player. Losing his leadership will be big, but he was going to step down eventually and somebody was going to have to step up. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Gentry or Andrus pick up where he left off...

As a fan, I know it stinks, but long-term, this is a good move for both sides. I'm sure when it is time for Young to retire, the Rangers will reach out and do a one-year contract like many teams do for franchise players that leave via trade for free agency.

Now, the Rangers get a chance to see their young players step in and play with their primes ahead of them. Houston rode Biggio, Bagwell, and Ausumus till they couldn't play anymore and their farm system aged and became worthless. The Rangers are bringing in these young players now, instead of letting them use their best years in the farm system.

Sorry dude, but the clubhouse obviously wasn't all that great last year with MY.

Hey, I'm fine with paying MY whatever to sit in the clubhouse and dugout. I just don't want to see his sorry butt hitting into anymore double plays :)

I feel a little better about this now this morning. Jean-Jacques Taylor really hit it on the head this morning while I was listening to ESPN radio.

Hamilton missing the 5 games during a really IMPORTANT September road trip because of caffeine problems?!

Hamilton missing the routine popup in the final game of the season.

Hamilton seeing 8 pitches in 4 at bats in the wild card game against the Orioles.

Did Hamilton really want to be in Arlington, and did we really want him back.. who knows...

Sorry dude, but the clubhouse obviously wasn't all that great last year with MY.

Hey, I'm fine with paying MY whatever to sit in the clubhouse and dugout. I just don't want to see his sorry butt hitting into anymore double plays :)

Dude, you can criticize Mike as much as you want, but when you start describing him ("sorry butt") like you did, that nears the despicable. All he gave, all he did, all he accomplished, all whom he mentored...

You should probably think terms over a little more before you start typing.

now_that_s_funny.gif

Just for fun......... last month of season the Rangers two top hitters

Young AVG 2B HR RBI BB SO

---------- .362 -- 7 - 4 -- 15 - 3 -- 10

BELTRE

----------- .350 - 4 -11 -- 29 -- 6 --- 20

LOL....But seriously...

I would have played the younger players and give Young a nice ride out of town sitting the bench because heck he didn't want to be there anyway. Shoot he probally already cleaned out his locker two weeks before......

He probally missed pop flies on purpose so he can get to test the waters faster!!