Double whammy next month?

OldSchool

On milk - I agree with a poster's comment - milk SHOULD NOT be regulated by the feds - at all! Milk producers have been struggling for a while now because of the price the government sets - enough already...

And it won't be the only thing that goes up, groceries in general are going up, feed prices are fixing to go through the roof.

I haven't milked a cow in a very, VERY long time...maybe it's time.

With all these prices going up, food stamps, welfare, etc. will have to go up to accommodate it.

Guess it's time to start gathering and saving up those big gallon pickel jars! And diapers, can you even buy cloth diapers anymore - great strainers!

With all these prices going up, food stamps, welfare, etc. will have to go up to accommodate.

Part of the fiscal cliff involves cuts in government spending so therefore, food stamps/welfare might not go up or instead get a freeze or a cut.

Boo hoo, "prices" going up. It's not "prices" , it's the continued devaluation of our currency as a result of the Fed. "Economic stability".

7/16" 4 x 8 OSB is now near $15 a sheet at most lumber dealers. Only four years ago I could buy it for as little as $7.96 everyday. I would not want to be building a home right now. My wages are not keeping pace rather being reduced by many factors. Boo hoo.

Perhaps the "preppers" are not so nutty after all?

- tru storie

The main reason prices are going up is because government's in our business, period...or in your example of wood (I'm assuming OSB is a 4x8 sheet of plywood) a lot of that is from the tree huggers, fuel prices, etc., etc., etc.

I think I'm probably gonna have a heart attack the next time I go and get feed...corn, corn, CORN... ethanol...and now something's odd going on with my diesel truck, called my mechanic... he tells me lots of folks are having trouble with their diesel trucks because of the diesel itself....good grief almighty! If it's not one thing, it's another!

There are some things we can control, some things we can't as to costs...the cost of doing business, no matter what business you're in is getting higher. The cost of running a family is also getting higher, and that's without the toys, those don't even count.

And we wonder why almost everything we buy is made from another country... GOOD GRIEF!

I don't see but a few here that grasp the fact this is much to do with the hidden tax of inflation as a result of the Federal Reserve Act going on 100 years.

"The Federal Reserve Act intended to establish a form of economic stability through the introduction of the Central Bank, which would be in charge (change?) of monetary policy, into the United States."

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/1913-federal-reserve-act.asp#ixzz2GMgxi6YM

Economic stability? All in order to enhance the lifestyles of the types whose ideas brought the Fed into existence.

Our Federal Government has done a great job of devaluing our dollar enough in the past 20 years, without the Federal Reserve lifting a finger. They FR hasn't helped matters either as they have a plan : http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/02/06/the-federal-reserves-explicit-goal-devalue-the-dollar-33/. I love how the left says that there isn't any inflation at the present time. As you've stated before, the inflation rate doesn't account for the devaluation of the U.S. $ and many are confused with that aspect. However prices will increase, even without said inflation of a modest 1.8-2.2 % at the present time.

Oriented strand board, OSB, was "invented" as a lower cost alternative to good old fashioned plywood. Used extensively for roof decking it does utilize wood products that are otherwise wasted. OSB is sturdy and does the job but can be a problem if it should get wet and stays wet. Plywood will deteriorate if wet as well but seems to recover better if it can be dried. I purchased 3/4" plywood seven years ago for sub flooring. It was not pressure treated plywood but treated with a petroleum product that protected it from moisture. Builders used it for second level sub floor in the event a home was rained on prior to completion of a roof as often happens. I paid almost $27 a sheet for that plywood with "standard" 3/4" plywood being about $20 at the time. It would not surprise me the board I purchased is now 35-40 fiat dollars but have not priced it. OSB is much better than particle board that contained formaldehyde and was placed as sub floors in many manufactured homes in the past. Don't get that junk wet.

I don't know that I can blame the tree huggers parent. As I have become more "country" oriented in recent years I see many pine forests clear cut to the point the value of logs has declined dramatically at the mills. Many of these mills are in the business of supplying product for paper. A family I know that has been loggers as long as there has been dirt finally said to hell with it and sold and auctioned all of their heavy logging equipment and logging trucks.

Again, hemp was once used for paper. And kudzu (look it up) like hemp has many uses including paper. But those ideas are those of tree huggers I suppose and hemp was propagandized as the devil suddenly jumping out at all of U.S. Go back to the the early thirties how select groups are able to sway legislation for their own business interest. Henry Ford had a prototype at the time that would have utilized hemp for fuel.

On your diesel truck all you need to do is go buy another one that is designed for the newer fuel diesel. The American dream, more debt. I have had no issues with my '98 tractor using the newer diesel fuel. But I thought about that.

As to my truck, I plugged it up last night, and I'm fixing to see if it's that or something else....and NO, I am not buying a new 1 ton truck - not happening! LOL!

As to the tree huggers...many, MANY years ago, we did all the spotted owl hearings up in the northwest...and although I agree with you about clear cutting, etc., etc., seems like that's when EPA when on an all out spree, literally. Course, the amount of houses that are for sale, you've got to wonder why people would even want to build a house. I see many, many houses for sale and I think... man, that would look great on our hill...LOL!

But with Obamacare, the Bush tax cuts, and EPA apparently fixing to go on another "spree", everything is fixing to go up.

I have driven diesel trucks and owned one, a Dodge 3/4 ton. In cold weather I always plugged them into an electrical outlet at night in order to keep the block warmer so they would start easily in the morning. I thought you were perhaps referring to injectors and fuel system seals that may not be getting proper lubrication as a result of newer type diesel. Don't know. Before I purchased the '98 tractor I thought about the changes in diesel fuel being implemented as a result of EPA regulations on all fuel. Maybe you are having "gelling" issues with your fuel. I'm no expert on diesel engines. I would think your dealer or mechanic would suggest this if it is an issue. Evidently gelling of fuel will restrict flow in the fuel filter. http://www.ehow.com/way_5686241_diesel-fuel-gel-prevention.html I use a diesel conditioner in the tractor that is supposed to inhibit condensation thought to develop in diesel fuel but nothing specifically designed for gelling. I did use a gel preventative product when I owned or rather was making payments on the used vehicle during very cold weather. Again I'm no expert and you must know all this.

I recall the Spotted Owl scenario in the historical logging areas of the North West. While EPA has certainly done some detrimental things to various industry I cannot pinpoint this as being the single cause of current economic times. What gets me is how we hear about the economic declines in other parts of the country yet our Texas politicians speak of how great the economy in Texas. Don't know that to be the case for everyone in Texas and I believe typical smoke blown by those in power enjoying lucrative lifestyles without skipping a beat.

Of course there are other factors than currency devaluation. You mention the Bush tax cuts and so forth. I have mentioned the reinstating of FICA taxes we got a "break" on a couple of years ago. Another thing I'm reading involves our friends with the IRS. It's probably been talked about here, reforms in deductible items anywhere from mortgage interest deductions to business deductions. From what I understand business owners will see reforms in depreciation schedules reducing the amount that can be used in that process assuming these are for big ticket items, machines and equipment utilized in the business. IMO the entire Federal Income Tax system has been one big complicated mess open to much fraud and abuse by those that file. Get rid of it.

I like the fable of the ant and grasshopper. You can probably understand why. Be prepared the best one can. You know, those "weird" preppers.

Well, it started, but I'm still irked about it...my mechanic told me to start putting stuff in the fuel every other time... Tractors are like that, though, we have to plug ours up during cold snaps... in fact, it literally is sitting in my backyard right now... LOL!

Truthfully, I'm so confused about the new taxes or old taxes (whatever), I'm not sure anybody at this point knows what to do. I can't even imagine what business owners with a lot of employees are going through right now.

As to the "weird" preppers... I don't think they're weird. But I do get tickeled at the prep shows on TV...kinda funny....but if you had cable, you could see those shows of folks up in Alaska... man, those folks are some serious survivors now! Something, though, about "canning" fish kinda makes me nauseated...LOL! I know one thing, there will be a MUCH larger garden this next year... MUCH LARGER...course you watch, Mason jar prices will go through the roof!!!!!

^ "Oh well", the new year is only hours away and I'm certain everything is gonna be alright.

On the fish, I guess I mentioned pickling/canning them , cooked somehow of course, but what I'm thinking is smoking "perch" with some salt , coarse ground pepper and seasoning then vacuum sealing them for longer term storage but not too long. It will be sort of like fish jerky as I envision. If I get around to doing something like that I'll let the dog test them first, wait a few hours and if she is not sick or dead then proceed. Outside of trying to preserve the fish I suppose I'll catch them with a cane pole , clean them and stick them in a skillet as I go.

Thanks for the laugh this morning! LOL - on the dog that is...

No, on the canning, we watch those Alaskan families on TV, and they can a lot of their fish...don't know, that doesn't sound good to me.

I've got to get a vacuum sealer...something else to "buy"... UGH! Watched on one of the fishing shows the other day that trout do not freeze well, they get "mushy". I've got a dehydrater, but dehydrated fish sounds kinda weird to me, and I've never seen it sold as "dehydrated".

Speaking of...watched the new Bourne movie again last night...if you haven't, you should, and you should watch for one particular thing... they're in the Phillippines, where drugs for the "Bourne" guys are being made, and hamburger meat is being wrapped. I'm sure a subtle thing from the director, but wouldn't surprise me. Also, this past fall, mom and I were in Fresh over in Tyler - love that store. We were in the area where the bins are of all sorts of things that I've never even heard of, met a woman who had been having extreme health conditions...she cut out all meat in her diet and didn't have problems anymore, and was explaining to me how she made non-meat chili - I asked her if she'd ever thought of actually buying a steer from someone who doesn't cram then full of whatever, and taking it directly to the butcher itself... no, she said....

Makes you wonder! As to milk, same thing. Even if I buy fresh milk from the guy down the road, that's been "certified" by the state to sell milk, I'm not too sure what he's giving his cows and what he's doing to the milk once he gets it. Not to mention, what all is in the feed that we're feeding the cows. Vicious cycle! Same thing with chicken, hogs, etc., etc. Not sure I'm up to plucking chickens anymore...much less seeing them flopping around - I still vividly see my grandmother doing that... LOL