16 3A Basketball

easttex01

Last place usually gets you that rep just saying.... We had it post 2004 to 2009. LoL we had 7 losing seasons since 1968 pretty sure Henderson wouldn't have struggled. We did not win state because we were 3a.

This is a basketball thread! And yes i hate to say but Hendersons athletic program these days is down overall.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last place usually gets you that rep just saying.... We had it post 2004 to 2009. LoL we had 7 losing seasons since 1968 pretty sure Henderson wouldn't have struggled. We did not win state because we were 3a.

Yes we did win state because we were 3a. We did have a great team but by no means would have won 4a.

Chapel Hill has already clinched the title and should end up 12-0.

Spring Hill has Gilmer and Bullard left and just need 1 win....they are in.

Kilgore has CH, Gilmer and Henderson. i don't see 2 losses in there, so they should grab the #3 spot.

oh yeah never said that but to dis credit a state title just because they were 3a is kinda disrepectful.

Not disrespecting anyone. You said " We did not win state because we were 3a". I said we did! Henderson had a very good team that year and dropping down was perfect timing. No disrespect but come on, maybe a couple of rounds in 4a is all we had. Im as proud of our lions as anyone and nearly 30 years removed, i still make alot of games although i live elsewhere. As long as i can remember, which is in the early 70s, Henderson competed well in all 3 major sports year in and year out. Basketball teams with 20 plus wins every year. District champions or runner ups in all three were common. Never anyones homecoming queen as you often state in football. The new 3a is looking more like the old 4a back then. Yes we are a big school and we need to compete better than we do in the other sports. Whoever gets the new AD job needs to fill these coaching jobs with a little more care and not just get someone off the street. These athletes coming through our program right now are kids of our era and the potential is there. People are saying that the talent coming is down. I say no way, we have the numbers to reload. Talent is different every year, we just need to adapt to what is there. Hard work in the offseason is the key and coaches recognizing where and how to play them. There are not Del Barnes and Patrick Browns every year but kids with good attitudes and work ethics can make a difference. Look what Gilmer did this year. They lost alot of kids and they were down at first but kept on working week after week with no superstars and look where they ended up. Every sport is the same. Hard work, good coaches and the end result comes out the same.

Not disrespecting anyone. You said " We did not win state because we were 3a". I said we did! Henderson had a very good team that year and dropping down was perfect timing. No disrespect but come on, maybe a couple of rounds in 4a is all we had. Im as proud of our lions as anyone and nearly 30 years removed, i still make alot of games although i live elsewhere. As long as i can remember, which is in the early 70s, Henderson competed well in all 3 major sports year in and year out. Basketball teams with 20 plus wins every year. District champions or runner ups in all three were common. Never anyones homecoming queen as you often state in football. The new 3a is looking more like the old 4a back then. Yes we are a big school and we need to compete better than we do in the other sports. Whoever gets the new AD job needs to fill these coaching jobs with a little more care and not just get someone off the street. These athletes coming through our program right now are kids of our era and the potential is there. People are saying that the talent coming is down. I say no way, we have the numbers to reload. Talent is different every year, we just need to adapt to what is there. Hard work in the offseason is the key and coaches recognizing where and how to play them. There are not Del Barnes and Patrick Browns every year but kids with good attitudes and work ethics can make a difference. Look what Gilmer did this year. They lost alot of kids and they were down at first but kept on working week after week with no superstars and look where they ended up. Every sport is the same. Hard work, good coaches and the end result comes out the same.

We were holding back...part of the game plan...get you confortable then spring on you like a Spider Monkey...perhaps we held back too long against Navasota...next year

7 on 7 may 7th

CH 79 Bullard 39

CH clinches district champs!!!

Congrats to my friend Robert Sampson on leading his team to a District Championship. He has those boys playing good basketball. IMHO, the bestbasketball coach Bullard has had since I moved here in 2002. Too bad we couldn't keep him.

May have lost, but I bet they looked good in those headphones. 39 points in 32 minutes?! WOW!

Oh no! This trend has made it's way to Middle School now. We went to watch the Bullard/Henderson games last night. Players on both sides(although only 1 Bullard kid) sitting there trying to look cool with those $300 Beats. Then they procede to produce nothing that resembles a basketball game. The score was 33-18. Just a few short years ago Bullard was beginning to produce as strong basketball tradition. It is sad how far we have slipped. Looking like no playoffs this year for the Varsity and our 8th grade scores 18 points against a very average(at best) team. I am sorry but instead of spending $300 so your kids can have his Beats how about sending him or her to as very nice basketball camp or paying for some private lessons. This just isn't about basketball. Any sport or even the arts. If a kid expresses a desire to be good invest a little and help them succeed. $300 headphones? I asked one of the kids to let me hear his Beats then when I got home I asked my 11 year old to let me hear his $25 Skull Candy headphones. Hey, I could clearly hear the music on both sets. I'll save my $275 or better yet I'll send the kid to a Don Eddy Basketball Camp. They don't have to be superstars. I doubt any of my three will ever be since they got my genes. But at least give them something to work with. Baseball, band, basketball, drama or whatever it is they enjoy.

It look like CH got beat by Kilgore tonight, 51-49. Not sure about other 2 games in district. But I'm guessing Bullard and Spring Hill were the winners.

Yup. CH lost. There were definitely some bad calls and no calls, but they happened on both sides of the ball. CH had a sloppy night. Bad passes, missed shots, etc. Hopefully this lights a fire under them going into playoffs. On another note, CH girls won, so they go into a playoff with Spring Hill and Kilgore to see who goes to playoffs.

No one seems to have the ability to go undefeated in this District. 2 years ago Henderson with Jonathan Jones went through the first half of District undefeated, but then lost to Spring Hill in the second round. Both teams finished as co-District Champs with their only losses to one another. Spring Hill was undefeated in District through the first round last year and then lost one to Pittsburg in the second round. SH won District with a 9-1 record. This year CH gets through 10 of 12 games unscathed and then loses to Kilgore. They have secured the District Championship however.

That win by Kilgore keeps them tied with SH for second in District. Kilgore has Henderson and Gilmer left. Should be no problem for Kilgore. SH is off Friday night and then travels to Bullard to finish the season with a tough game against Bullard who beat Kilgore the second round of District. Should be an interesting battle to see if SH or Kilgore takes the # 2 playoff spot. Those three teams have secured playoff spots however.