Monte Kiffin

I think bringing in Kiffin will be similar to when we brought in Ernie Zampese. If you'll recall, Zampese did a good job his first two years and has a Super Bowl ring to prove it, but our offense fell off the charts in his last two years. I'd like to see Lovie Smith brought in with the potential for having an interim Head Coach in case we have to remove Air Garrett from his duties.

Ware will be the "Elephant" in the 'Under' front. Dallas has employed quite a bit of the Under front in the last several years (Since Wade Phillips started using it), and Ware should know it well.

The Tampa 2 combines Bud Carson's Cover 2 with line shifts featured in the 4-3 Under; this combination was the brainchild of Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin, of which Lovie Smith learned while a linebackers coach.

I think Jerry is focusing on the wrong side of the ball. Red and the offense was far more of a problem than Ryan's defense.

Someone in that organization needs to tell Jerry that he needs to get at the minimum a consultant that will point these things out to him.

So far, there is going to be little difference in positioning to what the Cowboys already do.

Ware - 9 tech weakside DE (same position, just hand on the ground instead of standing)

Hatcher/Ratliff - 3 tech DT (already plays this position as a 3-4 DE).

Ratliff/LIssemore - 1 tech DT ( Same.)

Spencer - 7 tech DE ( Same as his nickel package. Spencer plays different positions; he can also be used as a DT).

Carter - WLB ( Basically same position. There's some dispute over whether he'll play MLB, considering his speed).

Lee - MLB (Same).

Albright/Wilbur/?? - SLB (Cowboys don't really have anyone to fit here. Sims is not an SLB).

Secondary - No position changes. The corners will be asked to play closer to WR and to play inside and underneath; this should benefit them. The safeties will be asked to play smaller, deeper zones rather than the 'Quarters' they played so much last year. However, I don't know if Church or Sensabaugh will improve at all in this scheme (although it may benefit Matt Johnson immensely).

Maybe I overreaching but, I thought due to the altercation between Ratliff and Jerry meant the end of Ratliff wanting to be on the team.

Speculation. Ratliff doesn't comment to the media. They could have patched things up for all we know.

Ratliff is actually quite antagonistic to the Dallas media for things they've done in the past, and to one writer in particular.

Jerry is too impatient to build. He just likes to patch the tires and make them last as long as he can.

This team is almost a complete turnover in the last few years. Nothing patchwork about that. Jerry continuously brings in new players and coaches to make it work. Teams have a way of finding a way that works. It is not an exact science. Even if it was patchwork, what does it matter if it works?

I don't like the firing of Rob Ryan, but I do like the hiring of Kiffen and Marinelli. I think the new 4-3 will be strong up the middle and on the weakside. The only question is who plays sam. I don't think that player is on the team yet.

I don't like the firing of Rob Ryan, but I do like the hiring of Kiffen and Marinelli. I think the new 4-3 will be strong up the middle and on the weakside. The only question is who plays sam. I don't think that player is on the team yet.

Since Ryan is gone, I like the potential of what our defense could bring with these coaches. However, I really hope we get Spencer signed again.

Since Ryan is gone, I like the potential of what our defense could bring with these coaches. However, I really hope we get Spencer signed again.

With Dallas already over the cap Spencer is gone IMO. They simply can't afford him.

With Dallas already over the cap Spencer is gone IMO. They simply can't afford him.

We'll see. I think Dallas likes his performance in the run game and now that he has shown he can pass rush, they will find a way to keep him. Dallas can still Franchise him again if someone decides to come in with an outrageous offer. He needs to stay!

This team is almost a complete turnover in the last few years. Nothing patchwork about that. Jerry continuously brings in new players and coaches to make it work. Teams have a way of finding a way that works. It is not an exact science. Even if it was patchwork, what does it matter if it works?

It hasn't "worked" very well in a long time.

Not necessarily. They weren't in great shape last year ( 30 million in dead money), but still moved things around and signed Brandon Carr.

Dallas can net Spencer with a low this-year salary, big signing bonus, and it seems Spencer is keen on returning.

Carter, Lee and then could be a backup LB to a drafted player. I'm not sold on the Cowboys going back to the 4-3.

I don't get the excitement over this hire. I understand he is a legend in the coaching circuit with is defenses, but I gotta say, last year USC didn't look very good. They couldn't stop a cold, and one offense that lit them up in particular, Oregon, lost their coach to the NFL. Now Kiffin will be tasked with slowing down another Chip Kelly offense. The excuse that he just didn't have the talent doesn't fly at USC because they were the #1 team in the country to start the season. They have All-American candidates scattered all over the field, and he couldn't put together a decent defense.

I hope it works well, but I think they made a mistake on this hire. I think Marinelli would have been a better DC, or bring in the currently unemployed Lovie Smith.